Renting a motorbike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshk344

Mar 10, 2011
Hey all, I've got a quick question. I'm taking my second trip to the DR here on Mar 19th with a group of friends to Cabarete. A couple of us were wondering about the possibility of renting motorbikes and spend a day following the road (East?) down the coast.

Having seen the insanity that is roads in DR, I'm aware that this could be sketchy for safety reasons. However, we are pretty experienced on dirt bikes back here in the states.

So three questions: Is this a stupid idea and going to get us killed? If not, can anyone recommend a reliable place to rent from in Cabarete? I have heard about potentially getting into a bad situation with any damages to the bike. Also, any particular places to stop and check out within reasonable distance?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any input.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hey all, I've got a quick question. I'm taking my second trip to the DR here on Mar 19th with a group of friends to Cabarete. A couple of us were wondering about the possibility of renting motorbikes and spend a day following the road (East?) down the coast.

Having seen the insanity that is roads in DR, I'm aware that this could be sketchy for safety reasons. However, we are pretty experienced on dirt bikes back here in the states.

So three questions: Is this a stupid idea and going to get us killed? If not, can anyone recommend a reliable place to rent from in Cabarete? I have heard about potentially getting into a bad situation with any damages to the bike. Also, any particular places to stop and check out within reasonable distance?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any input.

1. Not a stupid idea. Just ride VERY defensively. It is a great way to experience the DR. Try to get bikes with mirrors and working head and tail/brake lights. A horn is great help too. (you will fit right in with all the locals, but you will find that you will need it).

2. See Josef at Fun Tours in Cabarete. He rents bikes and is probably the one who has done so the longest in the area. See him a day or two in advance because he doesn't always have a lot of bikes on hand. He can give you tips on safety and also suggest areas where you want to go.

3. Definitely go East. Better overall travel experience and more to see. Follow the coast and stop in little towns. Take side trips down dirt roads and visit unspoiled/deserted beaches. Head toward Rio San Juan and beyond and find little local restaurants to chill out in.

Search the forums to find "Things to see on the north coast"

Have fun...be safe...good luck.

bob

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I've heard many people rent bikes in DR, assuming that you drive very defensively/safely, not drive at night or after drinking alcohol, inspect at first and look after the bike so there are no damages to it, have all your documents and driving license for check-points and shake-downs. I guess it would be OK.

Except I have never done it myself due to one reason; what happens if/when it's stolen !? I mean, that is quite a possibility in DR, is it covered by any insurance they give you !? (if any)
This is my big worry. (Also remember they keep your passport too !)

Has anyone had any experience with that, or heard of a hired bike that was stolen - what happened to the renter.... !?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Except I have never done it myself due to one reason; what happens if/when it's stolen !? I mean, that is quite a possibility in DR, is it covered by any insurance they give you !? (if any)
This is my big worry. (Also remember they keep your passport too !)

I'm not saying it never happens, but I've been renting for 8 years and it was never an issue. Of course, we are careful and keep them locked up when not riding. Bring your own cable/lock and use it as well as the one that comes with the bike. Use common sense.

And NEVER give anyone your passport. Give them a copy of it if they demand a passport or tell them you will give them your drivers license instead. (You really don't need one anyway).

We have never been offered any insurance when renting bikes.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.