Problem with Hyundai

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
The engine block has cracked on our 2011 Hyundai Tucson. My wife has been told of at least 5 similar instances of blown engines in the new Hyundais. Has anyone heard of or had a similar problem?

thanks,

Danny

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi,what size is your motor?My wife own a 2009 Santa Fe with a 3.3L V6 and it's running fine.My sister-in-law bought a 2010 Santa Fe and she had a lot of problem with the transmission.It was so bad that,for a small fee, Hunday changed it for a 2011.
At least,yours is still under warranty.
Good luck.

Mike

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Now I'm scared

I'm looking for a jeepeta and Hyundai was my first choice. But now ??????

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You were looking for a jeepeta and Hyundai was your first choice was your first mistake. You could have gotten a Ford Escape or a Honda CRV but no...Now if this car is in DR I have no idea how you are going to get this fixed. Because there is no warranty and I wanna know who is going to pay the $3K for the replacement motor?

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Well, most 2006- mid 2009 Honda Civic 1.7L engine blocks are cracking like crazy, so it's not just the Korean brands.
I have heard of the problem, but so far it effects the 4 cylinder blocks.

The Hun

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You were looking for a jeepeta and Hyundai was your first choice was your first mistake. You could have gotten a Ford Escape or a Honda CRV but no...Now if this car is in DR I have no idea how you are going to get this fixed. Because there is no warranty and I wanna know who is going to pay the $3K for the replacement motor?
My first choice but I haven't bought anything yet. A friend of mine swears by them. Has bought 4 so far, travel all over the DR with no problems. Anyway, I'm still shopping.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
For a tune up on a Ford scape he will be charged with four hours labor as to replace the sparks plugs I'll have to remove the intake manifold.:pirate:

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
use platinum plugs so you only have to do it once.

and those 1.7L 4 cyls are Korean casted also.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Racer three weeks ago a friend of mine trying to go around with the mechanical broke the spark plug on #2 cylinder of his Pontiac gran prix.
He is lucky I could get it out using one of those extractor for stripped screws with no damage to the threads or to the engine. I idled the motor for a little bit before installing the new spark p. just in case any small part of metal to be dropped inside the cylinder when drilling.

JJ

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
I find that a 1.7L for an all-wheels-drive too small.You loose a lot of power because of the additional differential and the transfer case.
Mike

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
its primarily for fuel economy and all wheel drive is often confused with 4wd. Its only designed for inclement weather conditions not real rough terrain.