Health question for ladies

dreamflower

Mar 10, 2011
Hello!

I am curious as to how birth control pills work in the DR. I was on birth control pills when I was living in the USA. I have been living in the DR for about 5 months and have been off birth control for about 6 months. I would like to start taking the pill again. I believe I can get it at a pharmacy without a prescription. Is this correct? Is it the same generic as in the USA? Also, I do have health insurance in the DR, does it cover any part of this?

Any information would be very helpful! Thank you!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
there is no birth control. pope dont like it. havent you heard? the womans womb is not hers to decide to utilize.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can purchase your favorite birth control pills at any good pharmacy. I do not think this is covered by your health insurance, but you could check.

Of course you could be....naah, this is the tropics!!! Enjoy life!!

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes you can get your pills over the counter at most pharmacies. Do remeber to start them on the Sunday after your period starts (that way won't have your period on the weekends) and don't use them for BC for 10 days in to the cycle. But then again you are using condoms as well....RIGHT

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And one of them is a retired OB/GYN!! The other the father of 4...3 1/2 years apart, and the grandfather of 12~~ who buys birthcontrol pills for one of his son's ladies because they are cheaper here than in the states.

Next question?? Besides it is in the best interst of men to know these things...

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How many of those men can sew? Or cook? or iron? or do laundry?

Not much else to do in the cave all day..... carry a club to beat women, I suppose.
Brings a new meaning to "Knock 'em dead!"

WW

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Birth control pills, hormone supplements of any kind are NOT covered by your insurance. go ahead and just buy them at the pharmacy.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I asked at the pharmacy one time if they have yaz or seasonique, they didn't have it :( I wonder if they have those ones that you put in the arm, I forgot what they are called but you leave it in for like 3 years and you don't get any periods :B

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I asked at the pharmacy one time if they have yaz or seasonique, they didn't have it :( I wonder if they have those ones that you put in the arm, I forgot what they are called but you leave it in for like 3 years and you don't get any periods :B

To the OP: As you've indicated that you've been off the pill for a few months, I'd suggest you go see a DR and get a check up before going back on and I'm sure you could have lots of questions answered by the professionals who are familiar with the brands and types of BC they carry in DR that way... To Twix: Not everyone is a good candidate for the injection and because it's going to be iny our system for quite a while... you want to make sure it's compatible with your system...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What about good old fashioned abstinence?

I can assure you a Dominican guy whose able to land you will no longer respect you and will be quickly looking for another one to conquer.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I can assure you a Dominican guy whose able to land you will no longer respect you and will be quickly looking for another one to conquer.

Padre Chip:

The OP asked a simple question about obtaining Birth Control pills, I see where this is going. Gee....what a surprise!

Did it ever occur to you, perhaps she is married or has a serious novio and they do not want a baby right now? It is really none of anybody's bidness!

tambo' the monk

Reactions: Africaida

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Not everyone is a good candidate for the injection and because it's going to be iny our system for quite a while... you want to make sure it's compatible with your system...

Darn, how can a doctor know if it's compatible with my system? I think some doctors are dumb because they put people on yaz that don't have pmdd and that were doing fine on their other birth control or put them on seasonique thinking they won't suffer from pms or pmdd symptoms when that pill clearly states that there will still be pms symptoms even though there will be no periods. I think only I can know what is good or bad for my body by trying it first and see what happens. I don't know, I just hear too many stupid stories. I don't need birth control, but I'm interested in yaz because I want to see if it can help me. seasonique, because I hate getting my period. implanon, no taking pills and no periods after one year! but I don't even know if they have that here.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Darn, how can a doctor know if it's compatible with my system? I think some doctors are dumb because they put people on yaz that don't have pmdd and that were doing fine on their other birth control or put them on seasonique thinking they won't suffer from pms or pmdd symptoms when that pill clearly states that there will still be pms symptoms even though there will be no periods. I think only I can know what is good or bad for my body by trying it first and see what happens. I don't know, I just hear too many stupid stories. I don't need birth control, but I'm interested in yaz because I want to see if it can help me. seasonique, because I hate getting my period. implanon, no taking pills and no periods after one year! but I don't even know if they have that here.

The idea of not having to deal with periods appeals to me too. LOL But health wise, there are a number of factors that apply to anyone's compatibility to birth control. Unfortunately, I'm one of the 2% who it doesn't work for. I've been on many different ones myself and recently consulted my family doctor because I have a daughter who is getting ready to being this process herself. They ask questions like, age, weight, whether or not you're a smoker, have any conditions like endometriosis, are prone to irregular periods or heavy bleeding... or have had a recent pap test etc...because of the increased risk of cervical cancers with hormone treatments etc... My doctor advised my daughter try the pill and see how her system handles it before taking an injection or other method. It's different for everyone. It's your decision what method works best for you.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
And one of them is a retired OB/GYN!! The other the father of 4...3 1/2 years apart, and the grandfather of 12~~ who buys birthcontrol pills for one of his son's ladies because they are cheaper here than in the states.

Next question?? Besides it is in the best interst of men to know these things...

HB

Interesting Hillbilly, Out of curiosity who was the OB/GYN?
It stuck me as funny only because the tiltle of the thread is helth question from the women.
I certainly hope that men are interested in all sorts of birth control and STD protection as well. Carry on Professor HB. :glasses:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

2hq8e3p.gif

It didn?t work for Mary

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2i5lz4.gif

Perhaps a "Cold Shower"

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I was taking yasmin here - terrible! I felt always tired, sleepy, sick... had to stop. Now cant get preg at all (trying and trying almost a year). May be not yasmin's fault, but seems like i dont need BC anymore :)

For those who dont wanna have periods or take pills there is MIRENA (Copper T). Dont know if they sell it here and it is not cheap, but will let you forget about periods for about 5 years, plus birth-control. May be you can buy it in online pharmacy or friends can send it to you.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I don't smoke or have any diseases or anything, I don't take any pills, and cancer is from not eating healthy. I've never had a pap smear, and I don't think I need to, and I don't go to the doctors, I've only gotten a flu shot once in my life. If I take birth control I only need to worry about and check for the bad side effects. Other people that do smoke, drink, use drugs, take any type of pills and such and have a disease do need to talk with the doctor though, I know that I would need to if I did have anything, I only occasionally suffer from bronchitis or asthma which btw for me it is from eating too much sugar and/or going to bed too late and not getting enough sleep, and that puts my immune system down. I know more about my body than a doctor, because they thought I was allergic to cats so I had to get rid of my cat :( my beautiful Siamese cat with blue eyes, stupid doctor! I don't even know where that poor thing is, or if it's even alive. Oh but I did like that sweet pink liquid medicine when I was a kid. Yummy. what was it for, a sore throat? it wasn't those nasty kinds, and you have to have a prescription for it.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I was taking yasmin here - terrible! I felt always tired, sleepy, sick... had to stop. Now cant get preg at all (trying and trying almost a year). May be not yasmin's fault, but seems like i dont need BC anymore :)
well if you don't suffer from pmdd, or severe pms then yasmin or yaz (and this new one I heard of, forgot the name) will not work for you, and yasmin doesn't work for everyone that has pmdd, but I believe that yaz works better.

What is this other thing that you speak of? Mirena? is it an implant? i must read about this!
edit- eww no, it goes up there. and it's sometimes hard to fit if you've never given birth before. hmm, it doesn't seem like a good idea for me, I'd rather have an implant in my arm

Last edited: