Anyone know where I can get a Golden Retriever puppy on the island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
GOLDEN RETRIEVER - Santo Domingo

is that really a golden retriever? looks big, I think 10,000 is too much for it but there you go

animales - perros - gatos - Rep?blica Dominicana

you can look there to see if there are more

Wow, $10,000, thats way too much. And yes that is what GR look like young, as they grow their hair grows. I bought my GR in Brooklyn for $300US, from a pet store. Im pretty sure you can find one much cheaper in DR.

YouTube - Max and Spike in the Snow

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've been looking in the Washington, DC area and the ones I find there are priced between US$800 and US$3000 dollars! I think RD$10,000 is a fair price.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I've been looking in the Washington, DC area and the ones I find there are priced between US$800 and US$3000 dollars! I think RD$10,000 is a fair price.

have you tried looking in the newspaper in the DC area? A lot of times the breeders will post deals cause the pup is getting older and it is alot harder to sell. My Golden was 6 months when I got em.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know of a man who bought a Rottweiler puppy in Sto Domingo..... 8000 pesos.
Another I know, paid $600US for a GermanShepherd here in RD.

The Sto Domingo prices are higher.

My preference would be to buy a US bred dog, with papers and bring it here.
G Retreivers are about $1000 on the east coast, last I heard.

WW

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Lisa that's only 270 $US , which is cheap if it's pure.

Yeah but considering that the dog is in DR, it should be cheaper if the item wasnt imported. I mean, its a lot cheaper to breed a dog in DR (Vet costs, food costs, rent for businesses). Considering all those things, you would imagine it would be cheaper than in the US; where many of these breeders have to pay for: employees, rent, vet, and many times licenses, all in US dollars.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah but considering that the dog is in DR, it should be cheaper if the item wasnt imported. I mean, its a lot cheaper to breed a dog in DR (Vet costs, food costs, rent for businesses). Considering all those things, you would imagine it would be cheaper than in the US; where many of these breeders have to pay for: employees, rent, vet, and many times licenses, all in US dollars.

Supply and demand have a lot to do with price, and if they had to import their dogs at high prices they would want to get decent return for their expenses.

Mar 3, 2011

Very fair. You might want to make sure you can get a Pedigree.

Wow, $10,000, thats way too much. And yes that is what GR look like young, as they grow their hair grows. I bought my GR in Brooklyn for $300US, from a pet store. Im pretty sure you can find one much cheaper in DR.

10k is a very good price.

I don't know what's the best way to find dogs in Bavaro. You'll probably have to go into the city. You can try contacting cachorrolandia, CL?NICA VETERINARIA DR. PEGUERO, Hospital Veterinario Arroyo Hondo, and PetLand. They are all in Santo Domingo. The best way to find pure breed is contacting Veterinarians that can refer you.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
this brings up a question, can i bring my goldens with me when we move? and what does it take,
thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this brings up a question, can i bring my goldens with me when we move? and what does it take,
thanks

There are many threads on this.
You just need up to date shots and a vet certificate.
300 pesos fee to enter and another to leave

Not hard at all..... BoBo the Boxer is a frequent flyer... stays here from December to May.

The hard part is finding an airline..... American does it, Continental does it, WestJet (Canada) does it.
There are some restricted times, so you need to plan ahead.

WW

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
In case anyone is interested we ended up getting the pup from this ad. The breeders are a young couple in Santo Domingo (near the Presidente factory in Atala). The husband is a student of veterinary medicine. They both have a great love for the animals. You could tell they were well taken care of and the kennel area was very clean. They provided very complete information on the pups vaccinations. To be brutally honest, it was more than I ever expected here in the DR. I've grown to have very low expectations. Here's a pic. We call him Rio.

vy8XX.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very nice. I hope he has a long and wonderful life. My family bred Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and Golden Labs but I have a love of all kinds of dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.