Monkey Jungle & Zip Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Can someone tell me the days open and the hours open. Its not on their web site and they do not answer the phone. Thanks you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Far as I know, they are open at least 6 days a week all day. Not sure about Sunday.

When you go there, you will need to go slow the last miles because road not paved. As long as there has not been a lot of rain, the road is ok, no big rocks or holes. But there are a couple of places that look as though they would be muddy and difficult if there had been a prolonged rainy period.

There is at least one person on message board that works there as a volunteer, so sooner or later you are likely to hear from him.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is open every day from 8:30 or so till 5pm or so. However it is closed today for painting and maintainence.
The road is rough in places but not a big deal and you should have no problem getting up there.

Bob K

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Can someone tell me the days open and the hours open. Its not on their web site and they do not answer the phone. Thanks you.

It is best to go in the early afternoon. Most of the tours will be about finished by then and you will get a better experience and not be so crowded.

bob

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Can anyone please tell me how far Monkey Jungle is along the track from the Sosua end as opposed to how far from the Sabaneta end of the El Choco track?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is best to go in the early afternoon. Most of the tours will be about finished by then and you will get a better experience and not be so crowded.

bob

I agree. When I went it was early afternoon, before the afternoon rush. Just the person I went with and I were the only ones on the tour. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much or gotten the pictures I got if there had been a group.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
too long from Sabaneta

Can anyone please tell me how far Monkey Jungle is along the track from the Sosua end as opposed to how far from the Sabaneta end of the El Choco track?

Not real sure, but maybe 7 km from Sosua/Cabarete highway, and probably 25 km from the Moca road. I did it both ways and it was a LONG trip from the Sabanenta end. I do not recommend anyone going there from that end of the road. Plus the first few km of the road from Sosua is paved...nothing is paved from the other end to the jungle entrance. If you go, go from the Sosua highway.

bob

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I didn't think the whole length of the El Choco track was more that 20km but am happy to stand corrected if that is the case.

As I live off the El Choco track, at the Sabaneta - Moca end, I am aware of its surface (or lack of it!). Shame it cannot be improved a bit to give better access to developments as it so conveniently eliminates the need to pass through Cabarete.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
You are probably right

I didn't think the whole length of the El Choco track was more that 20km but am happy to stand corrected if that is the case.

As I said, I am not sure of the total mileage, but lets just say it is 3 to 4 times longer going from The junction of the Sabaneta road as it is going from the Sosua highway. Plus, the road is a whole lot worse in that direction.

bob

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just did a quick Google Earth.
The Sabaneta to Sosua track is about 14 miles total and if I remember, very bad from the Sabaneta end.
Best to take the Sosua access for about 5 Miles to MJ. It's not that bad, even with a normal vehicle.
Do they really charge 2K RD$ to swing down a line?

That's my food budget for the week!

Gabriel03

Apr 9, 2005
monkey park

Sounds like this place is far out into the Choco, how long a drive is it??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like this place is far out into the Choco, how long a drive is it??

If from the Sosua-Cabarete highway, takes about 20 minutes. Not that far, actually, but you have to slow down when the paved section ends. About 10 minutes on each section.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If from the Sosua-Cabarete highway, takes about 20 minutes. Not that far, actually, but you have to slow down when the paved section ends. About 10 minutes on each section.

Very seldom do I make it to the North Coast but where exactly is El Choco road? I know the main highway that goes from Sosua to Cabarete. Is El Choco off of the main highway?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
yes

Very seldom do I make it to the North Coast but where exactly is El Choco road? I know the main highway that goes from Sosua to Cabarete. Is El Choco off of the main highway?

Just a little east of Sosua the road intersects with the main highway on the right side as you head toward Cabarete. There is an "International Design Furniture store" right at the East side of the intersection. If you pass the gas station/mini market you went too far.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.