Did I get ripped off?

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
I finally got my air conditioner installed today, but I think I may have been ripped off. The guy said he was going to charge me 1,000 pesos more because he had to add "tuberia", and that my AC only came with 10 pieces, which I am aware of. I am not fully aware of what is tubing, but I do not think he actually put it on there, because when I went to the roof all of the wires were wrapped in what seems to be tape. I called him numerous times, and he kept trying to convince me that the tubing was under the tape, but I though the tubing was like ablack styrofoam. My question now is should I go back to the store where I bought the A/C to complain about his work, because it does not look or sound right to me, because the guy that installed it works as a contractor for the company. Also he did not nail the AC down to the roof, is that standard or optional. Your input is much appreciated.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
this is an in the wall unit right? Can you post a pic?
Well he should have secured the lines to the building because what happens during hurricane season? tell him to come back and install some clamps.

OK, if this is an in the wall unit the tubing is because the compressor is built apart from the rest of the unit and the refrigerant has to be piped down to your apartment to where the evaporator and fan are. additionally there has to be a drain to the outside to divert the water from the heat transfer process when the air is refrigerated(condensation).

If this is an on the roof mounted Central AC unit then it is the same thing except for all that is in your place is the fan. Central ACs should be bolted to the roof because they are meant for the entire building and not one apartment. They also need 220V.

All of this stuff is self contained on window units but you didnt install one of them.

1000pesos is a good price. Under the black styrofoam there should be copper pipes. The styrofoam is to keep it from sublimating in the line due to the hot ambient temperature(which would still be less than the compressed temperature it is under-so it would freeze on the way to your wall mounted unit and you wouldnt have cold air but just a fan). It should be the entire length of the however far the distance is from the roof to the hole he punched in the wall of your apartment.

The real question is did he solder the joints on the copper pipe? Or did he use copper. What is it Cubre? yea Cubre. Look for that on the receipt.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Nah, man it is only $33. Copper is expensive and who knows how many feet she needed. The acid flux is like 100 pesos itself.

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
Thanks so much for your response. I guess my question is the black part does not go all the way from my room to the roof, where the black part ended he covered it with tape. And it is a small split unit 10,000 BTU. Also do I need to get someone else to come and get it bolted down. I don't know much about ACs but I watched a lot of videos and looked around at others in my neighborhood, so I'm just trying to figure out should I go back to the store and try to get them to send someone else out to check it, or just try to find another person to look at it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The styrofoam is only needed for the part of the tubing that is outside. Like I said it is solely to keep the pipe efficient and prevent the refrigerant from coverting from a liquid to a gas before it gets the evaporator.

It should be secured though. a couple of clamps and some jacketed masonry screws should do it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
normal

Sounds like a normal Dominican installation. Mine is not bolted down either but so far there have not been any hurricanes so it has not needed to be bolted to the roof.!!!! Generally you will not get US or European workmanship unless you are willing to pay very high wages.
I have lived here long enough that I am beginning to think Dominican. The op never mentioned how the system works!!! For me, turn it on, it blows cool, thats fine, break out the dominoes and Brugal.

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
Sounds like a normal Dominican installation. Mine is not bolted down either but so far there have not been any hurricanes so it has not needed to be bolted to the roof.!!!! Generally you will not get US or European workmanship unless you are willing to pay very high wages.
I have lived here long enough that I am beginning to think Dominican. The op never mentioned how the system works!!! For me, turn it on, it blows cool, thats fine, break out the dominoes and Brugal.

Ok thanks lol It's working fine, so we shall see. Thanks everyone for the input.