Church "Cristianos" - sect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
Hey,

I live in Cabarete and here is a church which seems to me more like a sect. Especially in the last days, they were having their church service on the street, so I was forced to listen... Well since the church is not far away from my house I can also hear them when they are having church service in the church, but fortunately it's not that loud then...
They have drums and are screaming all the time in an ear-splitting sound level... I think this church is very bad, since they are definitely practicing brainwashing.
Does anyone know more about this church? To me it seems very crazy and I think this church is not good at all, since it is trying to manipulate the people who listen.

I just wanted to start a discussion about this topic, because I think this church is also in other citys and I'm not the only one who considers this church a little strange...

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
That is typical of most evangelistic churches here in DR. As a christian I find it very sad because most are not based on biblical principles and dwell too much on external apperances and rituals rather than a relationship with God.

Reactions: Squat

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
the phrase christiano in the DR is used to denote you are not a Roman Catholic but you are part of one of the many evangelical churches . I am not sure where the episopal church fits into this ..Most christianos do not drink , read both bibles fervantly but not necessarily intelligently and give substantial money to their pastor .
In many ways they are fundamentalists.

fulanita is not correct in saying they dwell on rituals ..nothing could be further from the truth ..compared to the Roman catholic church and the evangelical church , they have little ritual and ceremony .They appeal to the lower income classes here

Reactions: Squat

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hey,

I live in Cabarete and here is a church which seems to me more like a sect. Especially in the last days, they were having their church service on the street, so I was forced to listen... Well since the church is not far away from my house I can also hear them when they are having church service in the church, but fortunately it's not that loud then...
They have drums and are screaming all the time in an ear-splitting sound level... I think this church is very bad, since they are definitely practicing brainwashing.
Does anyone know more about this church? To me it seems very crazy and I think this church is not good at all, since it is trying to manipulate the people who listen.

I just wanted to start a discussion about this topic, because I think this church is also in other citys and I'm not the only one who considers this church a little strange...

All christian church are sects, otherwise there would just be Christians, not Baptist, Evangelical, Catholics, JW, ....etc. There is only one bible but a thousand different opinions on how to interpret it. The church you are talking about sounds like a Pentecostal or Evangelical church like the Church of the living word. All religions practise brainwashing.

Reactions: mido

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The OP's description sounds about par for the course. I don't recognise anything distinctive in his description. And the more noise pollution they generate the more authentically Dominican they will seem. I had two such groups as neighbours at my last address, one behind and one out front. Fortunately they did not go at it at the same time.

No such problem at my new dwelling. Instead we have a row of SUVs parked along the kerb belting out reggaeton from enormous speakers sometimes until 2.00am. All part of the rich culture of the DR. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I assume "evangelical" is a typo for "episcopal" here? If not, I am really baffled.
Episcopal are closer to Catholics and Anglicans than they are to Evangelical. Evangelicals are like Baptists, Pentecostals, and numerous protestant born again churches. My brother is a member of the church of Nazarene. There are many Nazarene churches in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I should have closed this one after the first post

Folks, things like race and religion are not good for the site. Sorry. This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.