Questions about Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterchic

Mar 14, 2011
I am thinking of coming to Cabarete for a month in April. I am a 37 year old woman and would be traveling alone. I am a little nervous because some things I read make Cabarete sound like a solo traveler's paradise and other things make it sound like a dangerous dump where visitors are constantly heckled. So, I have some questions for you.

1. Is it safe for a woman traveling alone in Cabarete?
2. Do vendors aggressively try to sell you stuff wherever you go?
3. Is Cabarete mainly for the young, kite boarding minded traveler?
4. Is Kite Beach nice, clean and swimmable?
5. Are there healthy and reasonably priced restaurant options in Cabarete?
6. Is it a good idea or bad idea to be in Cabarete during Semana Santa?
7. Does anyone know anything about Extreme Hotel? Is it nice? A dump?
8. is the water safe to drink, bath in, etc? the food?
9. How is the scuba diving in nearby Sosua?
10. What activities outside of Kite boarding are there around Cabarete?

Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am thinking of coming to Cabarete for a month in April. I am a 37 year old woman and would be traveling alone. I am a little nervous because some things I read make Cabarete sound like a solo traveler's paradise and other things make it sound like a dangerous dump where visitors are constantly heckled. So, I have some questions for you.

1. Is it safe for a woman traveling alone in Cabarete?
Many single woman visit Cabarete. Just keep your wits about you. Don't be the last one out of a bar at night, etc.

2. Do vendors aggressively try to sell you stuff wherever you go?
That happens primarily on the main beach in Cabarete. Just say NO. I don't think you will see many vendors on the Kite Beach section.

3. Is Cabarete mainly for the young, kite boarding minded traveler?
While a percentage of people go to Cabarete to kite board, the total of those visiting and kiting would be a minority.

4. Is Kite Beach nice, clean and swimmable?
The beach is nice, but there can be some waves. I would not recommend swimming at the same time when many are kite boarding.

5. Are there healthy and reasonably priced restaurant options in Cabarete?
Yes.

6. Is it a good idea or bad idea to be in Cabarete during Semana Santa?
There will be a lot of people there at that time. Many locals hit the beach then. That depends upon you.

7. Does anyone know anything about Extreme Hotel? Is it nice? A dump?
Since I live here I don't know much about staying at hotels. Others can respond on this.

8. is the water safe to drink, bath in, etc? the food?
Drink only bottled water like everyone else. Bathing in the water is fine.

9. How is the scuba diving in nearby Sosua?
I don't scuba so others would need to respond.

10. What activities outside of Kite boarding are there around Cabarete?
There are other nice beaches to visit, tours to various locations are available including snorkeling, mountain biking, and various other tours of the area from places like Iguana Mama tours.

Reactions: DavidZ

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Extreme Hotel is nice. Not great but nice. There are a number of hotels to chose from. You may want to look around. Extreme Hotel is not in Cabarete. It's at Kite Beach. Cabarete Beach is about 1/2 mile away.

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Hi Waterchick

Windeguy's reply is quite thorough. I would just add that if you come for a whole month and by yourself try to stay near the main business area (restaurants, market,etc). The town's end is a bit dark (public lights out or dim), so the closer you are to your place from the action the better off you are.

Extreme Hotel is OK but if you don't surf is a bit out of the way from the main drag.

You may scuba in Sosua...had some friends who did it and enjoyed it.

Vendors are not that pushy at all. Just smile and say NO gracias.

Have fun

Waterchic

Mar 14, 2011
Extreme Hotel/Hotels in Cabarete

Thanks all for the good pointers. Looks like I should check out some hotels in Cabarete, any suggestions?

I was hoping to use the gym at Extreme Hotel, which is the reason I was thinking of staying there, but maybe it is better to stay in Cabarete and just work out at Extreme Hotel?

Has anyone seen a room at Extreme Hotel? How would you describe it?

Thanks a bunch.

May 29, 2006
I stayed at Hotel Kaoba many years ago. Centrally located, but not pricey because it's across the street from the beach. Many options for what kind of room to stay in.
Hotel Kaoba

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks all for the good pointers. Looks like I should check out some hotels in Cabarete, any suggestions?

I was hoping to use the gym at Extreme Hotel, which is the reason I was thinking of staying there, but maybe it is better to stay in Cabarete and just work out at Extreme Hotel?

Has anyone seen a room at Extreme Hotel? How would you describe it?

Thanks a bunch.

If you want a nice place to stay closer to town, check out Swell Surf Camp. It's not a regular surf camp, more like a B&B, and you need not be a surfer to stay there.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We stay at Hotel Kaoba many times. They have 2 types of room. Basic little houses and the main hotel. Nice room with kitchens. A little more but worth the money. If your going to stay a month you can get a reduced rate. You may want to consider renting a condo for a month. The price will probably be less then a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.