Currency?

S

steve

Hi,

I visited DR back in 1997 and was reccommended to take with me US Dollors both in currency and travellers cheques is this still the case or is there no real difference between the Peso and the US Dollor, and also is the Dollor still accepted in DR?

Many thanks,

Steve.

H

Henry

It's all the same, only the exchange rate has changed to 16.70 - OK!

Henry

S

Silonius

Steve, generally speaking, you will need to change those traveller's checks and cash to DR Pesos. Unlike places like Barbados and Cuba the dollar is not as easy to exchange in the local stores and businesses. It can be done but you will find life is much easier just using the local currency. Enjoyu your visit.

D

Duck

In tourist areas/larger cities, you can change European currencies as well. ATM cards work great too!

B

Bob McKenzie

Would this still apply to a taxi journey when I first arrive and have to pay the driver in US$ dollars? Will he be happy to accept dollars?

D

Doug

Re: Currency..Bob

Yes the Taxi driver would be more than happy to recieve U.S. dollars.(provided he comes out the same or better after exchange)

S

Sarah

But I do believe that you can make a quick exchange at the bank inside the airport before catching the taxi if you need to.

B

Bob McKenzie

Thank you all for your good advice.