Tourist Card?

S

steve

Hi again,

I will be visiting DR in 3 weeks time and realise I will need a tourist card. How vital is it that I purchase one before I travel or is it fairly easy to obtain one on arrival. Also found it confusing that everywhere I read about the tourist card it is priced at $10US. How come it is not priced in the DR own currency, the Peso?

D

David

you have to obtain a tourist card on arrival very easy to obtain usually form is provided in transit or at the terminal, possible reason for charge in us$ is not everyone has pesos on landing in D.R.

D

Doug

Yes Steve you will be able to get a tourist card at entry or more than likely they will be presented on the plane. Also I know coming from Canada I have never paid for one yet, and I've come over many, many times. I have paid for my departure tax, but only some of the time,(I guess it depends on your Charter)and this has always been in U.S. funds and only in U.S. funds, so be sure to have it upon your departure. As for why U.S. funds, I believe it's because they have bills (that have to be paid) also, and some of them are to foriegn countries, who don't want the peso, they want the universal U.S. dollar.

M

Marie

hi doug , if you did not paid when arriving in charter flight it is because the tourist card is already included in your flght ticket fee from canada.. air transat royal or canada 3000 depending of the tour operator.. it is the paper that you present with your passport..one for the entrance and the second copy at your departure. strangers pays in US and Dominican pays in Pesos.. i do not know the officail reason but surely somebody will answer to that..

S

Silonius

Steve, I received RD$16.83 pesos for each US$dollar (by check)today in Santiago at the travel agency where we exchange money. The Dominican government wants the US dollars to pay their external debt. It makes great sense!