27,500 fridge & 15,500 stove in Puerto Plata

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
How does 27,500 pesos for a g.e fridge, (about 16 cubic feet, 2 doors top/bottom) and 15,500 pesos for a stove 4 burners and 2 small additional burners seem? I am buying outright and I am buying them from Francis Muebleria in Puerto Plata? Is this a reputable store with new appliances? Or should I be worried its refurbished! Any other tips? thanks

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I paid 20,000 for a 2 door Bosch about 12 cu ft. So it could not be far out. GE fridges can be noisy - check the model carefully. Take a look at the compressor - does it look original and new.
It would seem a trip to Plaza Lama Santiago could be worthwhile as they have a wide range and the trip would take 1/2 day. They deliver island wide.
Just an idea.
Yanandu.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
I paid 20,000 for a 2 door Bosch about 12 cu ft. It would seem a trip to Plaza Lama Santiago could be worthwhile as they have a wide range and the trip would take 1/2 day. They deliver island wide.
Just an idea.
Yanandu.
Is there an additional charge to deliver to Puerto Plata that I might have to factor in?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You need to check with them unless someone has up-to-date information. It used to be free all island over a certain value. Up to that value there were bands of charges; not s much I think.
On certain models of fridge there is a 2-3 warranty supported in the DR. Fridges can cause problems due to power surges etc.
Many people end up buying lots of fresh food in the DR; frozen food is more expensive and often not as good. So depending on circumstances a smaller fridge may suit and be cheaper to run. Caribbetours to Santiago will not be that expensive; other shopping can be done at the same time.
Yanandu.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you find what you want in POP do not bother going to santiago. in POP you can check our corripio, gonzales and la sirena for price comparison.
if you buy in cash always ask for a discount!

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Ok, well it sounds like I am not getting ripped off at my prices. And I asked for and they gave me 1500 pesos off of each item from the marked price since I was paying cash. But should I be looking for a bigger discount or is that about the discount for cash? Also anyone bought from Francis Muebleria before? I am concerned as to service after the sale.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think La Sirena is way better than Corripio, I think that store likes to fleece people.

Feb 7, 2007
Ok, well it sounds like I am not getting ripped off at my prices. And I asked for and they gave me 1500 pesos off of each item from the marked price since I was paying cash. But should I be looking for a bigger discount or is that about the discount for cash? Also anyone bought from Francis Muebleria before? I am concerned as to service after the sale.

Mueblerias in the DR work on average with 25 - 30% profit margin ... go figure

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
With Corripio you can be sure your appliance is new, as apposed to some chances it's refurbished in Plaza Lama and La Sirena.

I guess so. But with the others they put the price on the merchandise. I dont like to guess and I dont want to talk to a salesman who is guessing.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Francis Muebles is reputable. However you MUST negotiate your price. Go back and tell them you have been shopping and you want a better price then that.

They deliver for free.

Plaza Lama will deliver to POP for a fee. And you won't save all that much going there. Shop around in POP.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Francis Muebles is reputable. However you MUST negotiate your price. Go back and tell them you have been shopping and you want a better price then that.

Ok, I'll do that today and most likely if I get some additional flexibility will pick buy from there. Thanks all

Feb 7, 2007
I guess so. But with the others they put the price on the merchandise. I dont like to guess and I dont want to talk to a salesman who is guessing.

Corripio has fixed prices, they don't price out of thin air... if they are not on the merchandise, then they are in the brochure or in the computer.

Anyway in Higuey Corripio does have sticker prices on virtually all merchandise.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Just logged in after a while and just wanted to update that I bought the stove and fridge from L&R Commercial in Puerto Plata and so far so good.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I found that Pappaterras (spelling?) in Sosua had much better prices then the places I looked in Puerto Plata. I also got discount with cash and free delivery to Cofresi.