help me with my taxes!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I have to file my stupid US taxes, so I tried on one of those free webpages just to see... and it says that I owe the gov't $177 dollars. WHAT? that's like what I make a month! i'm sure i did something wrong, because i know that if you make less than x amount, you're tax exempt. bah. my grandpop used to help me (by help i mean do) with the papers but he's not able to anymore. i'm useless with this mess.

can anyone give me some advice??

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Try this: Tax Act On-Line

.... and it says that I owe the gov't $177 dollars.
WHAT? that's like what I make a month!
If that?s all you are making, you should be tax free.

And/or PM me and I can come by and help you if I can.
(Assuming you are still in Santiago)

SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you don't get it ready in time you can always apply for a 6 month extension.

Also, as noted there are plenty of free tax services online through the IRS webpage but if you don't have a separate business the standard 1040 should do.

IRS

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you earned it here, there is an exemption for the first $80,000 which should cover most of us working here!!

As long as one meets the time requirement of how long one is out of the country.

She has at least 31 days to get her taxes done by April 15th.

I have used TaxAct Online for the last 6 years, excellent results, refunds directly deposited within about 10 days of submitting the form on-line.

For over 25 years I have programmed payroll taxes for a large corporation and helped some fellow employees in doing their taxes.

Don

Reactions: Bronxboy

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
My husband is Dominican and doesn't even have a travel visa, so probably single but I have no odes. Also my son has a SS but my daughter doesn't. It should be easier.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
no they don't have ITIN. i mean, my daughter is eligible for SS, I Just haven't been able to do it yet. I have no idea - i use a smart phone and the keyboard has it's own ideas what to write in!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
man. i?m more confused now.
i didn?t pay any taxes. i do private tutoring in the DR. i have some money in the bank.
i just need some proof of not trying to avoid my taxes!!!!!
i?ll keep you all up to date , thank you so much for the info!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
OK, if you are tutoring you may have to file Schedule C, and yes, you owe taxes on that money. The IRS calls that a "small business". If you are bringing in money on your own it is wise to bank 20% for this purpose. From a teacher. :) I pay for TurboTax, online. Not a bad program!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
mainegirl, i don?t make enough to pay taxes. that?s the issue. i know in the states i would pay on it, but here it?s pennies (literally. i pull in less than 10G dollars a year)