Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe the Canadian company put a non-charter fly to the R.D.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Samana peninsula seems also to be a better bet for many Canadians and some US citizens. Cleaner and roads less crowded. Very nice property available.
    Perhaps PP will just settle down to being an industrial and port city with large power plants etc.

Yanandu.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Beaulieu View Post
    I don't believe the Canadian company put a non-charter fly to the R.D.
    Air Canada will fly as a non-charter but you're pay $$$$$$ for it... always cheaper to fly charter...

I'm not sure if Westjet is considered a charter or not but they fly down as well.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by la_barbie View Post
    Air Canada will fly as a non-charter but you're pay $$$$$$ for it... always cheaper to fly charter...

I'm not sure if Westjet is considered a charter or not but they fly down as well.
    If American Airlines is charging $500 up from YUL to POP why would anyone think of paying Air Canada $800? What a ripoff.

I just pulled this off Kayak:

Depart: Wed 4/13 Return: Wed 4/20 (Trip spans 8 days) $504
    Economy
    American Airlines YUL
    AA YUL 6:20a POP 2:05p 6:20a
    POP
    AA POP 3:10p YUL 11:45p 3:10p
    POP 2:05p
    YUL 11:45p
    7h 45m 1
    8h 35m 1

1 site details save share 1910c54f7a72125421b29093582cb0ee
    Depart: Wed 4/13 Return: Wed 4/20 (Trip spans 8 days) $581
    Economy
    Secret Carrier YUL
    83 YUL 6-7a POP 2-3p 6-7a
    POP
    83 POP 3-4p YUL 11-12a 3-4p
    POP 2-3p
    YUL 11-12a
    8h 00m 1
    8h 00m 1

1 site details save share 891388852fdb308f249df390b34b27f3
    Depart: Sun 4/10 Return: Mon 4/18 (Trip spans 9 days) $689
    Economy
    Continental YUL
    CO YUL 6:25a POP 12:54p 6:25a
    POP
    CO POP 2:10p YUL 11:25p 2:10p
    POP 12:54p
    YUL 11:25p
    6h 29m 1
    9h 15m 1

4 sites details save share f617e648f1bcd2041a28168d08a3b84f
    Depart: Sun 4/10 Return: Sun 4/17 (Trip spans 8 days) $689
    Economy
    Continental YUL
    CO YUL 6:25a POP 12:54p 6:25a
    POP
    CO POP 2:10p YUL 11:25p 2:10p
    POP 12:54p
    YUL 11:25p

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you see why Air Canada had the government rescue them from Bankruptcy...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Having worked on a cruise ship for 3 years in 2000 i can tell you that a cashcow like that would do alot of good for the local economy. Everything from the lavaderias, to the shop owners, tour operators. I have often wondered why the north coast has no cruise terminal? another thing i have noticed is that other sun destinations when you get off the plane there is music, vendors, excitement. In puerto plata there is nothing except shady looking taxi drivers, and thug looking porters. I try not to jugde a book by its cover, but first impression is everything. The salida fee is bull****. The beaches are full of garbage, people with money to spend, going to the carribean want pristine beachesand turqouise water, beautiful rivers without the empty rum,whiskey bottles. Im soory to say it but until the people of the DR make the change and the effort nothing will change. I dont know if its lazyness or they just dont care. The DR has huge potential, but the attitudes needs to change.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Airport Survey

It's a little off topic but in late February when I was flying out of SDQ I was aproached while waiting at my gate by a woman conducting a survey of tourists. She worked for the Government Tourism Office. She spoke very good english and we spent 15 minutes talking about what my impressions of the DR were from a tourists point of view. It was a fairly in depth survey and covered all aspects of what I spend in the country, and my opinion on the infrastucture, transportaion and cleanliness of the country. I was a little suprised as this was the first time in 10 years that I saw someone officially take interest in why I come and why I come back. She made note of all my comments and seemed genuinely interested in what I thought, not just filling out a form. I don't spend too much time in the resort areas like PC and PP but I hope the process leads to improvments for visitors. The other times I have seen the government take an interest was at the Tourism Office In Samana town where I seemed to know more about the area from tour books than the guy behind the desk. He seemed like someone's cousin that got the job regardless of his knowledge of the area. The other was the Tourism Office at the small airport in Constanza. They were very helpful and friendly and knew all about the area. They also had brochures and maps to hand out. The country could use a few more like that.
    Last edited by BPL888; 03-15-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanadian View Post
    Having worked on a cruise ship for 3 years in 2000 i can tell you that a cashcow like that would do alot of good for the local economy. Everything from the lavaderias, to the shop owners, tour operators. I have often wondered why the north coast has no cruise terminal? another thing i have noticed is that other sun destinations when you get off the plane there is music, vendors, excitement. In puerto plata there is nothing except shady looking taxi drivers, and thug looking porters. I try not to jugde a book by its cover, but first impression is everything. The salida fee is bull****. The beaches are full of garbage, people with money to spend, going to the carribean want pristine beachesand turqouise water, beautiful rivers without the empty rum,whiskey bottles. Im soory to say it but until the people of the DR make the change and the effort nothing will change. I dont know if its lazyness or they just dont care. The DR has huge potential, but the attitudes needs to change.
    The cruise ship business requires a well managed destination with great infrastructure. Just ask the private developers at San Souci in Santo Domingo. One of the best port terminals in the Caribbean, but unfortunately paired with a very badly run destination.
    They have had to learn the destination management business, as well as run the port.

If you want to see how you can go from nothing to 57+ ships a year, look at Cartagena, Colombia. The average on shore spend per passenger is US$110.
    Cartagena had 7,000+ on shore for Christmas day 2010. That's a lot of money flowing into the local economy.

It's frustrating when you look at other destinations.

We have worked tirelessly to promote the DR as a destination. Most visited site, various publications, great Santo Domingo guides etc, all given away free. We have touched millions of people, more than any other DR media.

But...

Unless the destination has a cohesive long term plan, that all the stake holders are part of and the Government supports, all those individuel private efforts like DR1 go to waste.

The DR has NO long term plan, not one I have seen, or anyone I know has seen.
    Plenty have tried to develop strategies, long term initiatives etc, most have been abandoned through frustration, conflicting agendas or little support.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BPL888 View Post
    The other was the Tourism Office at the small airport in Constanza. They were very helpful and friendly and knew all about the area. They also had brochures and maps to hand out. The country could use a few more like that.
    This was put in place by the Constanza cluster, supported by USAID, not the DR Government. I think you find these days it's very rarely open, now the cluster money has run out.

The other problem is, many funded programs here are not sustainable.
    They know how to spend other peoples money, but have no clue how to make money and become sustainable.

We have been down this road at DR1, trying to educate various cluster groups and trying to help them develop products that would allow them to make an income and continue. Unfortunately you get into red tape, agendas and the clueless. Bottom line, when the money runs out, most die off until the next hand out comes along.

The DR has access to millions of US$ and Euros in grant money for sustainable tourism projects. The problem is, most companies or organizations in the DR cannot comply to the transparency rules or have the knowledge to fill in the paper work and get through the bureaucracy.

DR1 has in the past 12 months applied for two EU/Caribe Export grants for projects.
    In both cases we have been approved and as far as I'm aware, been the only DR company awarded. 70+ other DR companies/organisations applied.

Take Jamaica, the Government employees someone to solely help companies and organisations with the paper work and application process of EU/Caribe Export grants. They understand that this type of funding helps get grass roots businesses up and running. The type of businesses that are sustainable and make a real impact in the local community and help drive tourism. It's a pity the Government here doesn't have the same foresight.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    This was put in place by the Constanza cluster, supported by USAID, not the DR Government. I think you find these days it's very rarely open, now the cluster money has run out.

The other problem is, many funded programs here are not sustainable.
    They know how to spend other peoples money, but have no clue how to make money and become sustainable.

We have been down this road at DR1, trying to educate various cluster groups and trying to help them develop products that would allow them to make an income and continue. Unfortunately you get into red tape, agendas and the clueless. Bottom line, when the money runs out, most die off until the next hand out comes along.
    ALL true based on direct experience (as Robert knows.)

All one needs to do is sit with bureaucrats in the Tourism offices to see the abject apathy for anything beyond a paycheck.

I find it pathetic as well as humorous how the various gubmint charity/aid organizations try implementing First World bureaucracy and procedures on local folks trying to figure how to take the money for themselves.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast