Real reason for power blackouts all the time?

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,
I talked to somebody about all the power blackouts all the time. He told me that someone told him (yeah, I know that sounds not very trustworthy, but wait) the "real" reason for those. And in my opinion it makes sense:
He said that they shut down the electricity on purpose, so people needing electricity all the time are forced to buy a generator. The reason for that is, that the only person who is allowed to import those generators into the DR is the brother (or another relative) of the president...
Now, I couldnt find anything about that story on the internet, so I thought I start a discussion here...
I know it sounds pretty weird, but I mean nothing is impossible and in addition it makes sense: Why should the power stations be overpowered for like five hours and then suddenly work again for five hours... or what do they say is the reason for the power blackouts?
I'm interested in your comments!

Reactions: waytogo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He would have to have been friends with all presidents in living memory. The usual explanation is the lack of payment by a large proportion of poor clients and some large powerful/corporate clients. There is also said to be corruption within the sector.

But I've also heard it being said that another reason for the apparent lack of political will for tackling the problems, as well as the fear of losing the votes of the non-paying masses, is the economic interests involving importers and sellers of generators/inverters.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
This is absolutely not the reason for the blackouts although I agree that everything seems to be possible in the DR.
The main and probably only reason for the ongoing blackouts is that that the power generators don't get paid! Now, the reasons why can be debated, a big part of the population is not paying for the service, the distributors which also bill the clients is said not to pay the generators on time, there are rumors that the government is extracting money from that funds to finance the campaign and so on... who knows???

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
He would have to have been friends with all presidents in living memory. The usual explanation is the lack of payment by a large proportion of poor clients and some large powerful/corporate clients. There is also said to be corruption within the sector.
^^^This^^^

Not enough people pay to keep the generators turning. The home generator/invertor industry is downstream of the REAL issue.

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
As I have heard the same thing about a relative of the president have the import of generators.. It may not be true but I sure the people who do import them don't mind one little bit every time it drops out. And would help re-elect any one not really wanting to fix it.
It's like why so many high level Army/police families own security companies? Making it not really in their interest to have safe streets. As a report on Nuria showed a few weeks ago.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
They cut the power because the company have too much money.
They don't want more money from the pueblo .
That its ,that all.
Next call.

DCtoSDQ

Jan 10, 2004
It has been well documented for years that the reason for the 'blackout's is that a large portion of the population do not pay for the service. And the government and the industry don't have the political will or means to correct it. Plan and simple!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Plus

It has been well documented for years that the reason for the 'blackout's is that a large portion of the population do not pay for the service. And the government and the industry don't have the political will or means to correct it. Plan and simple!

You left out the part about the Govenment being something like 40million US in arrears. There is enough power generated in the country, CDEE collects the money then does not pay the generators of said power. Yes the poor in most cases don't pay, the real thieves are the large companys the are stealing. An yes there is no will to correct it.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Corruption? Can't be!!!!!

:cheeky:Are some of you suggesting that corruption might be a problem here? I'm aghast.;)

If you look at this thread, it began because someone has a theory that corruption is the basis of the problem. The answers all point to other areas of corruption: the power companies themselves, the political parties, the poor who don't pay for electricity, the companies who don't pay for electricity.

But we all agree that it is some sort of corruption that is the issue.

I'm not really sure that I'm adding to the conversation, but I thought it was an observation worth sharing.

Reactions: bienamor
Mar 3, 2011
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...mall-agrees-to-pay-RD49M-on-electricity-theft

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...cans-have-been-charged-with-electricity-theft

Its simple:

People don't pay electric bills.
People steal from the grid.
Companies don't like to invest in energy sources.
People don't trust energy providers.
People steal.
People don't pay.
Everyone looses confidence in the energy sector.
And it's a cycle...

That is why. It's not because some relative of the president is cashing in on selling generators. I bet if you searched, you'll see that there are many companies that sell generators - and the cousin is probably not one of them -

The CDEE is doing a good job at trying and increasing payments of bills.

CDEEE instala teatro callejero contra el fraude el?ctrico - List?n Diario Digital