Driving from Santo Domingo to Cabrera???

tdl

Mar 16, 2011
My wife and I are headed to DR at the end of March and we would like to know the quickest and easiest way to get from SDQ to Cabrera. We are renting an SUV and making the drive at night, because our flight arrives around 7:30pm. I have drove from Santiago to Cabarete at night and it wasn't too bad. How are the roads from SDQ to Cabrera? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Take the toll highway and go north towards Samana which will put in Sanchez in about an hour, then go west.....the roads are much better than your drive from Santiago - Cabarete....just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems....about 2 hrs total travel time at night....I have done this route many times at night and during the day...

tdl

Mar 16, 2011
Is DR-8 the new toll road? Going to be driving it at night. I keep hearing this is the best road in the country and a breeze to drive day or night. Any thought??

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
The road is great but there have been serious accidents. One part is quite twisty and they have put up new road chevrons at curb to help.
Also take care in Nagua.
Otherwise should be fine.
Yadandu.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Contrary to an earlier post, your route to Cabrera via the toll road road does not go to or through Sanchez. The new road meets the North coast highway just East of Nagua. Go West from there, through Nagua and on to Cabrera. To get to Sanchez, you would need to go East.

tdl

Mar 16, 2011
Awesome, thanks for the info! How are the police on this stretch of Hwy?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Heard of people done for speeding but not much else.
I can understand why the police / civil guard try to control - potentially some is the fastest road in the DR - but many drivers do not have the experience and the road though good is not to European standards with cambers, edge guards etc. Better at 50 mph at night as there could be animals etc. on the highway as some parts pass through farmland, forest etc.
Yanandu.