PLD PRD/Democrats Republicans-Whos Who??

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
What group (PLD PRD) would be aligned with the Democratic or Republican parties in the USA?And why would you say so?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's impossible to make that comparison - although both parties have their roots in the anti-dictatorship revolutionary/liberation movement and were originally left of centre ideologically, their modern day incarnations are neither left nor right. Allegiance is usually determined by personal connections/loyalty, not ideology.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Before I become an US citizen I won't ever let no one know for wich US political party I do simpatize for.:cheeky:

It won't take me long, I guess so as I'm filing the N-400 form.

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there was a cartoon is one of the dominican newspapers once (bocachivo, maybe?).
one dude asks another: cual es la diferencia entre PRD y PLD?
the other answers: R y L?
pretty muchs summs it up. there is no difference.

ps don't tell dominicans, ok?

Mar 3, 2011
PRD:
Red del Partido Revolucionario Dominicano PRD
Partido Revolucionario Dominicano - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

PLD:
- PLD - NOTICIAS - Pag 1
Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

The only similarity between US Dems-Reps and DR PLD-PRD is that they are both major ruling parties. Other than that. You can be somewhat pessimistic and say there is no difference. But, in actuality, these parties were formed on the base of distinct ideologies. In fact, PRD and PLD was founded by the same guy - Juan Bosch - I know you must be thinking what? Bosch founded PRD after Trujillo was out of the picture and won those elections (then there was a coup and Bosch was out). After things got back in order Bosch founded the PLD and lost against Balaguer (PRD).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
PRD:
Red del Partido Revolucionario Dominicano PRD
Partido Revolucionario Dominicano - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

PLD:
- PLD - NOTICIAS - Pag 1
Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

The only similarity between US Dems-Reps and DR PLD-PRD is that they are both major ruling parties. Other than that. You can be somewhat pessimistic and say there is no difference. But, in actuality, these parties were formed on the base of distinct ideologies. In fact, PRD and PLD was founded by the same guy - Juan Bosch - I know you must be thinking what? Bosch founded PRD after Trujillo was out of the picture and won those elections (then there was a coup and Bosch was out). After things got back in order Bosch founded the PLD and lost against Balaguer (PRD).
I don't believe Balaguer was ever PRD. He was a Reformista PRSC

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
most of the time i asked dominicans where on the political spectrum those parties were located at, they just looked at me in bewilderment and didn't even know what i was talking about. even university graduates didn't understand the concept.
same problem when you ask them why they are supporting a certain party. most of the time the answer is because of bosch (closest to an ideological reason), balaguer (because he or his people came by and handed out gifts), pena gomez (representation of the little man), or because my family always supported this party. sometimes i got the impressions that the concept of a political program or ideology doesn't even exist in the dr.

closest thing to republicans would be prsc though in my opinion. at some point in time prd could be compared to democrats with respect to having a social base closely aligned with syndicates, but i am not so sure this is the case anymore.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I think this is an individual feeling but the president of DR must be friendly at the American party in office.;)

El que nada contra la corriente se cansa y se ahoga!

haha

JJ

Reactions: Bronxboy