Anyone heard of SunCampDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
First time posting in DR1. Hello everyone!

I'm planning a trip to the DR that is off the beaten path and immerses me and another US resident for almost a week. Quite frankly, we both don't want to be stuck in a hotel where everything is overpriced. So we discovered SunCampDR's website.

Does anyone have any personal experiences at SunCampDR or happen to know its reputation in the area?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use the search function of this board. You might be surprised what you find out about Suncamp.

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
aw hell...

Use the search function of this board. You might be surprised what you find out about Suncamp.

Okay, it looks like suncamp isn't what it is made out to be. And neither is rancho wendy. Looks like I have to look elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a good and reputable resort for budget travelers? And we definitely don't want to be shacked up in the luxury hotels either...we want to be able to appreciate the culture.

Jan 17, 2009
Why does it have to be a resort? Can it not be just a hotel? You're more likely to find hotels for budget travelers than resorts.

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
Why does it have to be a resort? Can it not be just a hotel? You're more likely to find hotels for budget travelers than resorts.

Oops. My poor choice of words. I do mean hotels or any place that you guys can recommend in puerto plata. Our ultimate goal is to stay at a place that can be helpful in getting to know the area and people.

One big reason we originally picked suncamp was because they offered a guided trip to a local market as well as being away from heavy tourist areas.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you want something clean, safe and cheap, try a room at Rocky's in Sosua. Located in downtown Sosua, you can get a decent room for about $25/night. From Sosua you can easily explore the North Coast by public transportation. You are a few blocks from the beach. Rocky's serves very reasonbly priced food also. There are plenty of expats and locals around to help you make plans to "immerse" yourselves.
See: Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel Home Page.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sams Bar and Grill in Puerto Plata is a Gringo Bar and has rooms upstairs RD$ 200.00 Pesos per night. (Its not the Ritz) And best of all its guest friendly.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Is one not free to come and go as one pleases from a luxury hotel...I thought the guards were there to stop people breaking in ?

Aug 19, 2004
Probably best to start at somewhere like Rockies and then venture out. As others have said you don't need a guide certainly not to see a market. Be aware that Sosua is very touristy. Another location (also touristy) is Fata Morgana in Las Terranas - this place has a number of small huts with shared cooking facilities.

If you only have a week and stay in Sousa you should plan a trip to Santiago (Caribe Tour buses) - few toruists, interesting centre and plenty of Dominican culture.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
There's always Costambar.

No hotels as such but plenty of apartments to rent at reasonable rates & a very safe town to wander about in. Lots of eateries, a great beach & plenty of free advice from the locals. Hell some of it even makes sense.
(Now I know I'm probably going to regret that last statement lol)

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks all for all the advice. I actually just returned from Tubagua and I would definitely recommend it to a new traveller to the DR. For me though, I may try out other places next time I go (just to get a different DR experience).

You've all been great at helping me get comfortable to visiting the DR! I'm back home and owe it to many of you for the great advice. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.