Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why don't we see candelabras in the DR?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aYLFAp9TG9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you can tell from this video, candelabras are used to hold candles. I, for one, have not seen many in the DR. It is an excellent way to hold candles and it is much more cost efficient to purchase than to install an inverter-battery-generator system. That gadgetry is much more expensive. It is toxic to the health no matter how you set it up and it is a potential fire hazard.

Candelabras come in that setup seen in my video. There are also the hanging ones which adorned the National Theater in Vienna in the 18th century which Emperor Joseph II attended. Hey, if it's good enough for an Emperor, it's got to be good enough for Dominicans.

So, it begs the question:Why don't we see more candelabras in the DR? Those owning them can push it off as a fashion statement plus save alot of money on expensive electrical setups which are toxic to your health.

Who has candelabras in the DR?

Thanks-

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Because the poor don't want to waste the money to buy them and the rich people want power, not candles

As for not as toxic do you think the people here care about that with all the pollution from everywhere else ( I.e cars, motos, Burning sugercane, burning garbage etc. )

This ain't England

O.S.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

I use electric candles.......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, another question, how long does a standard DR candle last? I mean the standard one bought at the colmado.

How many hours of lighting do you get from one?

What is the current price of a candle in the DR?

Now that I ask this I wonder who are the major candle manufacturers in the DR?

I wonder how is business doing for them. Is business booming or declining?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

People who cannot afford an inverter use candles, but not a candelabra. One, maybe two candles is all they can afford to burn, and for some, even that is extravagant.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a fully solar equipped casa.... total..... no public power.

The cost of that - coupled my innate frugality - has reduced me to candles

Hurricane lamps , we use.... candles from IKEA

Just like standard lighting, I snuff them as soon as mi esposa turns her back...so my candles last years.
    I will be interested in others' experiences....

WW
    aka Frugal Freddie

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

we don't have an invertor, but our light almost never goes out (it did go out for 5 hours this morning, though). we use candles - the cheapy church candles from the colmado and they last long enough to get through the black out. maybe an hour or two. we have some candle holders on the walls, and some votive lights. i think it's relaxing. and battery acid scares me (why we don't have invertor)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Two answers to your question. Part A this is the Dominican Republic not some European country, U.S.A., or Canada its not common amongst the culture. Part B we live in the year 2011 not in the middle ages. People in the DR have trouble making ends meet to get food and drink spending their money on candles is one of the last perogatives in their minds.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast