Combination of energy sources to reduce oil comsumption

Toribio1

Nov 24, 2010
I am thinking about the problems in the middle east and Japan and the effects of the prices of gas and food. Oil will be continue escalating exponentially in the short and long term without any doubt. Countries like DR, which depends a lot of oil from another countries, should not focus only in huge wind power turbines as the future salvation of the country. Small hydroelectrical plants and small wind turbines could be another choice to feeds energy to small cities. More investment in public and private solar panels could be another choice. Sugar cane could be another valuable source of energy.
In conclusion, the future of the energy in this country should based in a combination of different alternative sources and private entreprenurship could be the first step.

Mar 3, 2011
I agree. Being on an island, DR is very vulnerable. Achieving more self-sustained methods of energy generation should be a goal of the DR. Because 1) Oil and other fossil fuels will not be around forever and will only get more expensive. And 2) DR cannot continue to afford to battle with the prices of fossil fuels.
As you said, diversification of energy sources is what the country needs (especially developing renewables). Only problem is that 1) DR energy sector is not attractive for investors, and 2) Renewables are still not as cheap than fossil fuels (so government would have to kick in to provide the incentives).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
large reduction in gasolline, diesel and gas

The DR could make a large reduction in the transportation area by just slowing down. They have no idea that going fast or going uphill burns more fuel. Not to mention saving lives. Never happen in our lifetimes of course. In that vein its hard to see the DR plan ahead regarding energy. Its more like lets live for today!!! Speaking of today, where's my Brugal and the dominoes??

Mar 3, 2011
Speaking of today, where's my Brugal and the dominoes??
LOL.

On the personal level there are small things one can do to reduce fuel consumption, true. But like you said, who's going to do that?

Even if DR starts the conversion to natural gas (for public vehicles), it only accounts for 1.4% of vehicles in the country. So, there's not much difference in oil consumption. And the DR, like all others, will continue to consume oil for transportation purposes. Small to large scale implementations that can help reduce oil consumption are: personal things like driving slower, use neutral more, and hundreds of other things. On larger level, switch your personal car to natural gas. On a even larger level, reduce the need to use a car to get around the city = effective public transportation (trains, buses, etc) = governments job.