One month in Sosua..travel all DR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
I have a one month vacation in Puerto Plata..I will be staying in Sosua. Since I have a month I want to explore as many places as I can. What are the top ten places I should visit while I am there? I want to visit them all at once. Any plans or suggestions? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Head to Samana, go to Playa Rincon.
Head to Punta Rusia, see Playa Ensenada.

Go to Jarabacoa, find the coffee place and buy as much Monte Alto as you can.

Try Playa Grande in Cabrera one day, or check out Playa Caleton.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
You should also plan time in Santiago, Centro Leon is a fabulous museum. I like Paso Fino restaurant to see the whole city. There is a big market near the central plaza, that place is a trip, great stop for all your souvenirs.

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
I looked up Jarabacoa and the waterfall is amazing! Thanks for all your tips and advice. I will coordinate them in a time schedule and take it from there!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
A trip nearly round the island is possible.
Depends on budget / sense of adventure.
If you use local transport one possibility is Cabarete - Rio San Juan Las Terenas Samana 2 Day trip to Las Galaras Rincon. Cross to Sabana de La Mer - Proceed with possible extra stops towards Punta Cana area. Stay for a night or two
From there to La Romana / Bahahibe. good excursions. Back to Boca Chica -then the capital for a night then back up to Sosua.
Take a day / 2 day trip in the other direction toward Haiti.
Other people will have other suggestions. If your interest is history more time in Santo
Domingo is a must!
If you want to mix with the jet set La Romana / Caso de Campo is for you.

Other people will have other opinions : listen to them also.

Yanandu

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks Yanadu! Budget is not an issue since its once in a lifetime type of vacation. I have been to Sosua two years ago but was only there for a week. I like your plan though...I will gather all suggestions and make a draft. Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2004
My Top 10 of things to do would include

1 Barahona and the road south to Perdenales
2. Bahia de las Aguilas
3. Drive round Lago Enriquillo

4. Monticristi
5. Dajabon - big market + the road south to Restauracion.

6. Constanza + the road to San Jose de Ocoa, stopping off at the pyramid (at the geographical centre of the country.

7. Las Galeras + Playa Rincon.

8. Zona Colonial Santo Domingo

9. Playa Bonita (near Las Terranas).

10. Jarabacoa and then an accent of Pico Duarte

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks London! Nice list! Sounds like I am gonna have to make it a Top 20 list instead of 10 haha. I can't wait to get down there!!!!!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If the "big" in your username in any way refers to your girth, I recommend against trying to climb Pico Duarte. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My Top 10 of things to do would include

1 Barahona and the road south to Perdenales
2. Bahia de las Aguilas
3. Drive round Lago Enriquillo

4. Monticristi
5. Dajabon - big market + the road south to Restauracion.

6. Constanza + the road to San Jose de Ocoa, stopping off at the pyramid (at the geographical centre of the country.

7. Las Galeras + Playa Rincon.

8. Zona Colonial Santo Domingo

9. Playa Bonita (near Las Terranas).

10. Jarabacoa and then an accent of Pico Duarte
Wow. Nailed it.

Here's a panorama of Rancho Tipico de las Cuevas at Bahia de Las Aguilas (awesome food, BTW, we had lambi, congrejo & pollo)(Yes, I know it's wide, but it IS a panorama of several photos stiched together...):

BeachDayBahiadeLasAguilasSmall.jpg

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
sweetdbt--No, I am not big lol I climb whatever comes my way!
Cobraboy--Thanks for your top 10. I looked up some places you suggested and they are awesome!!!!!!

I would start out from Sosua and travel east to Playa Grande/Cabrera for a day, then continue on East to Las Terrenas for at least 2-3 nights, While in Las Terrenas you can goto Limon falls nice trip and also explore the town of Samana and Las Galeras. From this point I would head South then east out to Punta Cana for a night or 2, While in Punta Cana you can explore Higuey and its Basilica. Then I would start heading west along the the south hwy to La Romana for 2 days or so and explore Casa de Campo Altos de Chavon, If you like to Golf then this is the place to do it and also up in Playa Grande beautiful scenic courses. From LaRomana you can continue heading west and stop in Bayahibe for a day or so if you need more beaches, if not continue into Santo Domingo where there is more to do there than I can list. From Santo Domingo we are about to get a little adventerous and we are going to the South West, not to many tourists ever travel there. I would reccomend a night in San Juan De Maguana a nice small town up in the lower mountains and visit the reservoir and enjoy a small quaint Dominican town. Then I would travel down to Barahoana with its spectacular scenery with waterfalls going staight down to the beach. You could also travel to lake enriquillo or Perdenales while down there. I would then head back to the Capital for one night and then head north to my favorite part of the Island Cibao. You could spend a day or so in Bonao and relax in cool rivers and explore that area. From Bonao I would head to Jarabacoa and enjoy a day or so in that mountain town. Then I would head to Santiago for a few days, I would reccomend arriving in Santiago on a Thursday-Saturday if you like night life. It can be dead early in the week. From Santiago I would head out to Mao/Esperanza for a night or so,then onto Punta Rusia and make my way back to Sosua/Puerto Plata/Caberette area. That should keep you busy. I have done this trip several times and always had a great time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
sweetdbt--No, I am not big lol I climb whatever comes my way!
Cobraboy--Thanks for your top 10. I looked up some places you suggested and they are awesome!!!!!!
Thank London Calling. I merely "ditto'ed" him.

I would spend a night in Las Salinas at Hotel Las Salinas, a hidden jewel. I'd also suggest lunch @ Rancho Francisco in San Jose de Ocoa for the nice drive there.

Badpiece has a fine itenary, but I'd take the El Baden cutoff (bypasses Santo Domingo) in San Cristobal on the way back from the SW and maybe stop for a look-see at La Toma and Cuevas de Pomier.

So many places, so little time...

big delly89

Jan 10, 2011
Badpiece33-I really appreciate your detailed and insightful route plan! That's what I am talking about!! Now I just have to learn some Spanish and coordinate transportation so it will be smooth. I will definitely let you know how it goes! Too many cool places to go and see! Thanks again!!
Cobraboy- Las Salinas sounds perfect! I will also check out San Cristobal as well. Thanks for all your tips guy! much appreciated!!!!!!!

I have a one month vacation in Puerto Plata..I will be staying in Sosua. Since I have a month I want to explore as many places as I can. What are the top ten places I should visit while I am there? I want to visit them all at once. Any plans or suggestions? Thanks guys!

When you planning on doing this adventure? I might be in the country and could hook up for a beer or 2 in one of those locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.