Is America becoming a Hispanic Country??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
[Yep, and a lot of them are Dominicans]

Is America becoming a Hispanic country? - CNN.com

Is America becoming a Hispanic country?
By Ruben Navarrette Jr., CNN Contributor
March 18, 2011 10:15 a.m. EDT

Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a CNN.com contributor, a nationally syndicated columnist and an NPR commentator.

(CNN) -- The United States is becoming an Hispanic country. And it's happening much faster than anyone expected.

According to an analysis of newly released 2010 U.S. Census data by the Pew Hispanic Center, the Hispanic population in the United States is growing more quickly and more dramatically than demographers had estimated.

In the 33 states for which data has been released so far, there are almost 600,000 more Hispanics than previously thought. Twenty-eight states had more Hispanics than expected. And, while the current count is 38.7 million Hispanics, there is still data coming from 17 states, making it likely that the final figure could surpass 55 million, or 17% of the U.S. population.

What is really interesting is that this "Hispanicization" of America is most noticeable in states that are not typically thought of as being places where Hispanics live.

The real story isn't what's happening in Texas, California, Florida or New York, which have long been home to significant numbers of Hispanics. It's about the demographic changes in states such as Alabama, Louisiana, Kansas and Maryland, where Hispanics are a relatively new commodity -- and the accommodations that have to be made between new arrivals and longtime residents.

One day soon, Hispanics will help define the worlds of media, politics, commerce, fashion, music, entertainment, sports and science. There will be no turning back.

But you knew that already. Maybe your first hint was the Latina models on magazine covers. Or that salsa is more popular than ketchup. Or the Spanish-language billboards you see on rural highways. Or that some members of Congress gather weekly for Spanish lessons.

Or maybe you figured out that the Hispanic population in the United States was exploding when you saw the quixotic efforts of some to stop the trend by cracking down on illegal immigration and -- for an encore -- trying to limit legal immigration as well.

Most immigrants to the United States, legal and illegal, come from Mexico and the rest of Latin America. But in states such as Arizona, Texas, Colorado and New Mexico, you also have Hispanic families that can trace their American roots back hundreds of years.

Still, for many Americans, changing demographics isn't cause for celebration. Rather, it's cause for alarm. It brings a sense of fear, anxiety and desperation. They know enough to know that the country in which they grew up is changing, and they'll do whatever they can to reverse those changes and return the cultural landscape to what it used to be.

In fact, Hispanics have become so accustomed to this sort of reaction that I know many of them who actually dread the census and all the related media coverage. Every 10 years, there is the possibility of a backlash. For Hispanics, being counted is a mixed bag. They gain numbers and prominence, but they also have to contend with resistance and hostility from those who feel threatened.

This partly explains what happened in Arizona, where a surging Hispanic population so panicked the state's residents that they began pushing lawmakers to pass immigration-related bills aimed at making the state less hospitable to illegal immigrants. This wasn't about reaffirming the rule of law. It was about returning Arizona to what it looked like 50 or 60 years ago, when the number of Hispanics in the state was much smaller than it is now.

It seems to have worked. The analysis of census data done by the Hispanic Pew Center shows that in Arizona, the number of Hispanics came in at 1.9 million, or 180,000 fewer than expected.

But many of those immigrants had simply moved on to other states. This approach would not be much of a national strategy; besides, who is to say that many of those people won't return to Arizona when the economy improves or some of these excessively punitive laws are dismantled.

Ultimately, you can't fight demographics. Hispanics are already here, and most of them aren't going anywhere. Instead of wishing otherwise, Americans would be better off accepting this new reality. While they're at it, they should acknowledge the positive impact to their communities and their country of having a growing population of people who are, by nature, conservative, hardworking, optimistic, patriotic and entrepreneurial. Hispanics aren't a threat to the United States; they're an essential component.

Visit any military cemetery in the United States and count the Spanish surnames. You'll see that Hispanics have already contributed so much to this country. And, in the decades to come, they and their children stand ready to contribute so much more -- if we put aside our prejudice and let them. That's the path to a better country.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ruben Navarrette.

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
YES...the United States is becoming a Hispanic country in demographics but not culture. Regardless where the folks come from, in one generation, all remnants of Hispanic heritage evaporates and they are just as WASPy as the Jones and Smiths down the street.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Yes.

As it stands now, if all the Hispanic people in the United States were to form their own country, it would be the 3rd most populous in Latin America, with only Brazil and Mexico having more people.

And by 2050, many predict that the country with the most native Spanish speaking population will be... The US!

Yet that outrageous "news" article typical of the left wing media (I mean, come on. NPR?!) attempts to demonize and slander those opposed to ILLEGAL immigration as being opposed to immigration altogether, due to some sort of racial bigotry.

"Still, for many Americans, changing demographics isn't cause for celebration. Rather, it's cause for alarm. It brings a sense of fear, anxiety and desperation."

Good Lord.

Mar 1, 2009
Yes the USA is becoming more hispanic. The Dominican Republic is also becoming more Haitian too. Now that to ME is news and really alarming.

But back to the main topic. My two nieces are barely speaking spanish. They will probably marry somone who speaks less spanish than they do and they will have children and poof no mas espanol. I will see this in my lifetime.
My second cousins all or almost all, born in the USA. They are all fluent english speakers and very little spanish is actually spoken amongst us, either here in Florida and or up in NJ. So they will also soon be WASPish. So America or the USA rather, can absorb the immigrants. The education system works and it is doing a wonderful job as a melting pot.

DR as I always spout is smaller and less able to do as the USA does and shouldn't be expected too.

That's all.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
All my cousins born and raised in the USA use English as their language of choice, they don't watch "Univision" or "Telemundo", they can speak Spanish but not like someone in a Spanish speaking country. Their kids in the other hand can't speak Spanish at all.

What I see here is that after the second generation, they loose their Spanish speaking ability.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
. The Dominican Republic is also becoming more Haitian too. Now that to ME is news and really alarming.

How the DR is becoming more Haitian?

I just came from the DR yesterday and I didn't see a single sign in Creole, I didn't see the government printing official documents in Creole, I didn't see a single Dominican speaking Creole, I didn't see a single TV commercial in Creole!!!

Every Haitian that I had a conversation with was in Spanish ;) I saw a lot of Haitian going to private and public school. Are they being taught in Creole? I will answer this one for you NO.

So, how the DR is becoming more Haitian?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yes the USA is becoming more of a Hispanic. I for one do not have a problem with it. In my area of Massachusetts we are one the third generation of Puerto Ricans (yes they are Americans) but they are hispanic. The first generation, the Grandparents, speak little to no English.This is because of lack of schools available to teach them and their lack of desire to learn.They are more stubborn and not willing to learn English. The second generation speaks both Spanish and English. This is due to an open minded school system and also their parents only speaking Spanish at home. The desire to learn English is very strong for them.They want to do better at school and work at better jobs using English their skills. The third generation speak mostly English. They can still speak Spanish because of their Grandparents inability (refusal) to speak English. I think the schools have around a 50% Hispanic enrollment of students. They have a very good ESL program for new arrivals. Also ALL of the social programs provide Spanish workers for Spanish speakers.
I have seen great improvements in the Hispanic community in my area.
Other groups of Hispanic communities besides the Boriqua's are Dominican, Columbian, El Salvador, Brazil, And probrably more that I can not think of right now.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Our Dominican cookbooks in English are popular with Dominicans in the US who don't consider Spanish their first language. They may have immigrated as young children or are US-born to Dominican parents. They value their heritage but are more comfortable reading English.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
he first generation, the Grandparents, speak little to no English.This is because of lack of schools available to teach them and their lack of desire to learn.They are more stubborn and not willing to learn English. The second generation speaks both Spanish and English. This is due to an open minded school system and also their parents only speaking Spanish at home. The desire to learn English is very strong for them.They want to do better at school and work at better jobs using English their skills. The third generation speak mostly English. They can still speak Spanish because of their Grandparents inability (refusal) to speak English.
I lived for almost 40 years in an area (Tampa) that had Hispanics (Spain and Cuba mainly) before most of the rest of the US, beyond NYC and Miami, even knew much about them. And what you post is very true.

I might add that the Third generation speak English with no Spanish accent and Grandma and Grandpa aren't too happy about them not speaking much Spanish.

Mark Rubio, new US Senator from FL, is a good example.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with what everyone has said about first, second and third generations.... it is the same for EVERY ethnic group. All of my grandparents were born in Italy, I don't speak Italian but I do understand some of it. My husband was born in Santo Domingo, but already spoke English when I met him in 1975. Our kids - the son is not only fluent in Spanish and Italian, he teaches both languages; our daughter can understand some Spanish, no Italian. Her two sons? The 4 year old talks to his grandpa in Spanish, at the request of our daughter. Abuelo already started talking to the 5 month old in Spanish.

I think that the Latino culture will remain for much longer than other ethnic groups in America. Just a hunch. There are more of them, and they travel back and forth to their countries of birth - unlike, for example, my Italian grandparents who came to NY and never went back, ever. Spanish is also so widely spoken now, even by non-Latinos, that I believe it will always be right up there with English. No other ethnic group had everything handed to them in their native language - and kids today who take Spanish in school can actually USE it in their American daily life, unlike the kids of the 50s, 60s and 70s who took French or German.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
and kids today who take Spanish in school can actually USE it in their American daily life, unlike the kids of the 50s, 60s and 70s who took French or German.

AE
Or us that took Latin in school...

Latin is a dead language,
As dead as it can be.
First it killed the Romans,
And now it's killing me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Thank You","Dulce"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister lives in Lynn,Massachusetts.A town a little north of Boston. A VERY strong Dominican presence there!
I enjoyed reading Dulce's post! She tells it like it is,no political agenda from her!Like the Italians before,the Dominicans are taking about 3 generatios to become "Americanized". It happens a little faster now,because of electronic communications,and more "Media" exposure in "English",or better said."America
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK, this started off as a positive look at Hispanics in the USA - let's not turn it into a rant against them PLEASE.

Any more of that and they will be deleted. Let's play nice.....

AE

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'msorry if you took my truth as a rant. I stated in my first post that I have no problem with Hispanics. I have many Spanish speaking friends from different countries.
The post was meant to represent the different acceptance level and points of improvement over time.
Now is a much better time for Hispanics to immigrate to the US.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
All my cousins born and raised in the USA use English as their language of choice, they don't watch "Univision" or "Telemundo", they can speak Spanish but not like someone in a Spanish speaking country. Their kids in the other hand can't speak Spanish at all.

What I see here is that after the second generation, they loose their Spanish speaking ability.
I'm having a hard time to communicate with my own daughter as she does not speak one word in Spanish and the worse is that when I say you have to learn Spanish she say.... Nope, I'm American.

JJ

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I'm having a hard time to communicate with my own daughter as she does not speak one word in Spanish and the worse is that when I say you have to learn Spanish she say.... Nope, I'm American.

JJ

I agree with Dulce, Criss & Bachata.
My children speak with a 100% gringo accent "Yow quierow awua poor favour".
We travel to DR and Mexico often and my children always manage to communicate with other kids they meet.
However, there is no true "latin cultural immersion" for them where I live and my children have no spanish speaking friends.
I know they pick up on it so I will continue to play the music, tv and practice speaking to them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My step-son was 9 when he came to Canada, and is now 21. He speak Spanish with his mom and grandmother, plus on facebook with his cousins, and some girls from Jarabacoa. Here where we live most of his friends are English speakers, but he plays soccer on a team that is mixed Latinos from Central American and Colombia so he has daily Spanish exposure. His English is better than his Spanish though due to school.