what is the cheapet supermercado in sosua

encounter3000

Feb 26, 2006
I need to buy groceries and bathroom supplie in Sosua , I am going to Cabrera. I know it's cheper in Sosua. I heard there is a new place, not sure. Please any info with direction would be great. Coming in from airport at 4pm. Thank you for your time.:alien:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I need to buy groceries and bathroom supplie in Sosua , I am going to Cabrera. I know it's cheper in Sosua. I heard there is a new place, not sure. Please any info with direction would be great. Coming in from airport at 4pm. Thank you for your time.:alien:

If it has to be Sosua, I guess Playero is your best call. If you have time to shop, you might compare the supermarket accross from the CDE offices. Also, they say that the supermarket near parada el choco has some items that are not available at Playero. If it's a one stop only. go to Playero.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Why Sosua as it certainly isn't cheap and definitely not in Playero? If you are en route to Cabrera, you would be better calling into Janet's in Cabarete which is significantly lower priced, with almost as much choice since their expansion.

Dec 21, 2008
I prefer the Playero in Sosua. Parking at Janet's can be a nightmare. Prices however are better at Janet's. Being that we are in Sosua, I check for specials at the Playero and then go to City Market for meat.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Playero will be the most expensive but the quickest.

City Market (great new place) just outside of Sosua has lots of imported stuff, not as big a selection as Playero and about the same price.

Janets in Cabarete has almost as much as playero and cheaper. Very nice market and there is not an underground parking lot to help ease the parking problem. Good place to shop

Just on the east side of Gaspar Hernandez there is a modern market in a new mostly empty strip mall. Good prices but not as large a selection as Playero or Janets.

Hope this helps.

Bob K

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I'm sure it's a typo.....can you clarify your comment on the parking at Janet's?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Playero's prices aren't alll that bad and they have a good selection. It depends if you have time to price compare and what your time is worth and once you gather all the running around and gas you spend...is it worth it??? Some items at playero are cheaper and some are more expensive than Janets and City Market. A bag of limes at playero is 110 pesos and at city market 85 pesos, romain lettuce is 150 at playero and 135 at city market. Many other items suchs as butter and canned goods are the same price. As far as Puerto Plata I've price compared at La Sirena, Tropical and Jose Luis and it's not worth the drive to save 2 pesos on a bag of flour compared to playero.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes a typo the underground parking now seems to be open at Janet's.

I actually stopped in there yesterday and was happy to see the prices there generally lower then playero.

Bob K

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There is a new above ground lot about to open for Janet's as well...on the side street next to the store.

The market in Gasper Hernandez Bob K mentioned has been closed for a bout a year....

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I had some extra time to burn this morning so I decided to try doing my order at City Market instead of Playero. 1/2 the stuff they didn't have such as cream cheese and everything I bought was more expensive or the same as playero..nothing was cheaper. So I ended up going to playero anyway. Next week I'll do the same at Janets.

Jan 17, 2009
If you need to buy vegetables, buy them at Playero. Janet's vegetables are pretty much always in terrible condition. It's rare the day that they have a good choice of good quality veggies.

Also, do check expiration dates if you're purchasing at Janet's. You'll be surprised how many items are sold expired or about to expire.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had some extra time to burn this morning so I decided to try doing my order at City Market instead of Playero. 1/2 the stuff they didn't have such as cream cheese and everything I bought was more expensive or the same as playero..nothing was cheaper. So I ended up going to playero anyway. Next week I'll do the same at Janets.

Today I started at City Market and finished at Janet's since they had no Kraft cheddar cheese or sour cream at City Market. :tired:

+'s at City Market
  • Vegetable selection
  • Bakery items
  • Wine selection
  • North American/European items not found elsewhere
  • Clean, bright, good parking, easy to shop in

-'s at City Market
  • Meats don't appear to be kept cool enough in the case and appear dried out - fish in the display case seems to be even worse
  • Little mid-floor cooler for chicken breasts, etc seem to not cool at all & chicken breasts there often look pale & not fresh
  • Finding someone to weigh vegetables can be a challenge
  • Dairy selection very limited & often don't have the cheeses, creams, yoghurt that I want
  • Lack of choices in salad dressings, canned goods, mayo, yogurts, etc

For a weekly shopping trip, only Playero has the items, quality, and selection that I want in one place. Usually I can get everything in one stop. If I try any of the other stores, it almost always requires stopping at 1 or 2 other stores to find everything. I do 'feel' Playero is more expensive overall... but really don't have the proof.

-----

Expat-in-Cabarete I agree with what you say about Janet's vegetable selection and expired items.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yes a typo the underground parking now seems to be open at Janet's.

I actually stopped in there yesterday and was happy to see the prices there generally lower then playero.

Bob K

The underground parking lot is horrible. I can't get my car in & parked... or out & turned around if there's another car down there. Ridiculous design.

HOWEVER... kudos to them for putting the new parking lot on the little side road just to the side of the store (going toward Sans Souci). This was much needed space. It's just on the town side of Janet's. Forget the underground parking!

IntleNero

Nov 13, 2012
I will be in Puerto Plata/Sousa area in December, I will be renting a condo there. I need to know what is the best supermarket to buy food and supplies. I will only be in the area for a week. I know I will be eating out a lot, but I do like and occasional glass of wine and some snacks. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I will be in Puerto Plata/Sousa area in December, I will be renting a condo there. I need to know what is the best supermarket to buy food and supplies. I will only be in the area for a week. I know I will be eating out a lot, but I do like and occasional glass of wine and some snacks. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Are you going to be in Puerto Plata or Sosua? Big difference of about 30 mins in between those towns. In Puerto Plata go to La Sirena in Sosua go to Playero. Everything you need all rolled into one store pretty much.

If you stay in Sosua for a little week, then playero will give you the best selection for your money. You will probably not go shopping more then one time for so short vacation anyway. Remember we complain over prices in pesos, tourists dont see these frustrating little things we argue about.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wine and snacks? it really would not matter where you buy. any supermarket will cater to those needs and the prices will not be shocking. it is different when you have to buy all your supplies regularly. :)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
it is, sadly, no more :(

but has reopened under the name favorito and is nowhere near as good.
but, for the record, it is located a few minutes east of el batey (sosua), just before Coastal gas station