Bringing in a Dozen Canadian Lobster

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Anyone know if there are any import rules about bringing in a Dozen Canadian Live Lobster ?

A friend would pick them up at Halifax Airport , they would be packaged for Carry On.

Any prohibitions or should they be cooked? (I prefer to cook them myself)

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
rules, what rules?

Saturday morning packed filet mignon, porcini mushrooms, prosciutto, gorgonzola cheese and champagne into the luggage to be checked in. Saturday night I was grillin and chillin in the DR.

I would be more concerned about going over the luggage weight limit than what was actually in the bags. You'd think if they were being imported for resell that you would have an issue, but personal consumption? nah!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Cool !
Real Beef and Fresh Mushrooms ! DROOOL!! Now I am Thinking Surf and Turf !

POP or SD?

Any tipping ? The Lobster will have to be Carry on ...... And I Want LIVE ! I wonder if they will use any "restrictions" rules to grab them !

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Cool !
Real Beef and Fresh Mushrooms ! DROOOL!! Now I am Thinking Surf and Turf !

POP or SD?

Any tipping ? The Lobster will have to be Carry on ...... And I Want LIVE ! I wonder if they will use any "restrictions" rules to grab them !

Damn, my steaks and your lobsters:cool: I flew into SDQ. Check with the departure airport/airline about the live lobsters in carry on - that would be your limiting factor in my opinion. No tipping - breeds greed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Bringing it From Canada

My friend:

There is no way that Canadian Customs or for that matter Dominican Customs is going to allow you to bring lobster in, especially if they are alive. Not only will they confiscate these, you will also be fined. There is one thing to bring in a few things in your suitcase, another to try to carry on an insulated container with seafood. Why would you bother going through all of this when the DR has some of the best seafood on the planet, including lobster that you can buy almost everyday right from the fishermen. That is about as fresh as it comes.
Don't waist your time and money.

S

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not so fast, LTS.

I'm the Offishul Lobster Checkerer Czar. If the OP would contact me I'll meet him @ POP to determine if the bugs in question are legal for entry.

Dinner @ Casa CB later that evening.:pirate:

VistaMar

Mar 16, 2011
I agree with LTS...
Good fresh lobster can be found. Jumbo Shrimp on the other hand is a serious problem here. An order of shrimp cocktail gets you shrimp smaller than my pinky. Importing jumbo shrimp is the way to go.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I agree with LTS...
Good fresh lobster can be found. Jumbo Shrimp on the other hand is a serious problem here. An order of shrimp cocktail gets you shrimp smaller than my pinky. Importing jumbo shrimp is the way to go.

Most large supermarkets (Nacional, La Sirena, etc.) Have frozen Jumbo shrimp (I've seen up to size 10-12, but regularly 16-20's)...cooked and uncooked...and usually sell for less than you pay in the US.

But there is no comparing Spiny (Caribbean)Lobster and North American lobsters...while you can buy them directly from the fishermen here, they don't taste the same as the traditional Maine style lobster...and there's no claws!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican,or better stated,Spieny Lobsters aka,Rock Lobsters Suck!

You must never have tasted REAL lobster,Canadean/Maine,lobsters,are moist,meaty,and sweet!:p:p:classic:
the "other lobsters",are tough,dry,and tasteless! :mad::mad::cry::cry:
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
My friend:

There is no way that Canadian Customs or for that matter Dominican Customs is going to allow you to bring lobster in, especially if they are alive. Not only will they confiscate these, you will also be fined. There is one thing to bring in a few things in your suitcase, another to try to carry on an insulated container with seafood. Why would you bother going through all of this when the DR has some of the best seafood on the planet, including lobster that you can buy almost everyday right from the fishermen. That is about as fresh as it comes.
Don't waist your time and money.

I don't know any of the laws about it, but you can't even come close to comparing the lobster here to the lobster from the East Coast of Canada. The taste is very different...sort of like comparing Canadian beer to Amercian brand.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
...and usually sell for less than you pay in the US.
If they are frozen The actual shrimp cost 30%+ more than what you think.

I did a little test here: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/106936-i-love-mero.html

We bought some shrimp recently at La Sirena and found the same exact thing: massive amount of ice covering the shrimp. When it all melted, the shrimp looked like smaller...shrimp.

I assume LS gets their inventory from the same vendor as the other stores do.

And while tastes vary and Maine lobster is certainly yummy, my fave are the big spiny tails from FL and Australia:

DSC04466.JPG

The little ones you get here are very young specimens. It's too bad they're not allowed to grow up to be much larger.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The shrimp at Nacional do not come frozen in ice like the mero filets. I'm looking at 2 packages right now, all i see is shrimp :bunny: I haven't bought shrimp from La Sirena in a while but they do sell them with the ice "jacket"...I hadn't thought much about it before but now I know where I'll get my shrimp from now on...!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
If it tastes like fish, it's a dish, if it smells like [criss] colon, leave it alone, lol. Just messing with you criss ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Um, no... that's my job. And I'm gonna wrassle with anyone that tries to step in for me. (unless you're doing the cooking)

Have I ever told you about my two martini method for cooking lobster?

Do tell!!!;)