Cost of living in Bavaro

stephrossi

Feb 3, 2011
Can anyone tell me what is considered a reasonable budget for a single person living in Bavaro (rent and lunch excluded).

Is 20,000 RD$ reasonable?

Are salary figures net of taxes or does the government take out a monthly tax?

THanks for anyhelp...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I figure you mean RD20,000$ monthly?
Who are you, do you speak Spanish, are you familiar with local life on a budget? are you prepared to live in the rough areas of town?
Do you have anyone to live with?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
With rent and lunch excluded more than adequate. Could get by on 10,000.
Difficult to spend money in DR.
Food is much cheaper than US. 100 pesos should see a nice 3 course dinner cooking yourself.
Yes there is some tax and insurance to pay. Allow 5-8%
Depends on hobbies - golf is expensive for example as is sailing.
Smoking, drinking in more expensive bars can add to expense.
Yanandu.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think you would be better advised to answer my quieries firstly and I can give you a realistic idea of costs involved.

stephrossi

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the answers.
As for the queries : I do speak spanish, enough to get by in everyday situations.
I will be living by myself but the apartment is provided by the company, as well as lunches.
I don't have any fancy activities such as gold or sailing but do enjoy going to a salon, every now and then, and going out to see a movie!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you have RD20,000 pocket money to get by on, salon, bar, snacks, motos (very expensive in bavaro), and days out n what have you then you should manage it if you dont go mad. If you keep a steady lifestyle, you should be right.
No rent or bills to pay is a cool situation to have, enjoy it.

What will you be doing for work?

stephrossi

Feb 3, 2011
I'll be doing some marketing for a telecom company doing business in the hotels.
Evryone keeps telling me how expensive life in Bavaro is and it got me a little worried...

Thanks for the input.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Accommodation is very cheap, electricity is very expensive. Groceries Can be expensive because you have limited small supermarkets dotted around and can never get what you want in one place, and so cabs and motos are very expensive. Drinking at bars is ridiculously expensive. Clothes are extremely expensive, go to higuey for clothes.
If you weren't getting free accom and food it could be tight.
You aren't going to save anything and be sure you get good insurance.