CanyonChasers Invade the DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Motocaribe had the recent pleasure to host a group of 14 from Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring , led by Dave and Kris Dave Palazzolo, the group’s founders and leaders. The Canyon Chasers are based in Salt Lake City and have a strong regional following and top-notch website.

These folks are serious motorcyclists. The group that came to the DR included veteran Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructors, top-ranked amateur racers, motorcycle race instructors and a manager/organizer of Miller Motorsports Park in Toole UT. Without a doubt, these folks were the top riding group we’ve ever had the pleasure to host.

Wanting a tour more challenging that a week, we put together a custom package that included both the NE to Samana and to the SW.

I’m a good rider, but spending 11 days with these folks was like going to a daily pro rider’s school. I learned more in 10 days than most learn about motorcycling in a lifetime! I might mention they had 2 female riders and 4 bikes two-up.

Here are some pics from the tour (BTW, DR1’s Chip was on the tour with us and offered great support):

They arrive at STI (note the reflective riding gear):
Airport-1.jpg

Outfitted @ camp Moto, ready to roll:
StevensCampMoto-1.jpg

Salto Jimenoa:
SaltoJimenoa-1.jpg

Lunch @ Mi Vista in Jarabacoa. Angel there does one heckuva job:
MiVista-1.jpg

CoffeeatMiVista-1.jpg

At the Gran Jimenoa, ready to head to Samana:
GranJimenoa-1.jpg

Down the hill from Jarabacoa:
RoadtoJarabacoa-1.jpg

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Rest stop by the ocean, just past Gaspar Hernandez:
163741_1670817563308_1023431799_31788655_6440395_n-small.jpg

To La Entrada for lunch:
ToLaEntrada-1.jpg

LaEntrada-1.jpg

Warren the racer playing in the sand (kids, don?t try this at home!):
WarrenLaEntrada-1.jpg

Heading into Sanchez, yours truly in the blue hat as lead:
ToSamanaSanchez-1.jpg

Kid showing off to the Big Bikes in Samana:
ShowoffinSamana-1.jpg

End of the road @ Las Galeras:
LasGaleras-2.jpg

Dave meets a new friend @ Boca del Diablo:
BocadelDiablo-1.jpg

And at Los Gringos, a lunch stop headed back to Jarabacoa:
DaveandfriendLosGringos-1.jpg

Mmmm, lunch @ Los Gringos:
LunchinConstanza-1.jpg

Time for gas in Jarabacoa:
Timeforgas-1.jpg

Headed to the SW, turning at the El Baden bypass to San Cristobel:
ToElBaden-1.jpg

Arriving at Hotel Las Salinas. We park in back:
HotelLasSalinas-1.jpg

R&R at Las Salinas:
LasSalinas-1.jpg

Fixing a flat in Barahona, me taking care of business:
TheleakingTireBarahona-1.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Lunch @ Bahia de Las Aguilas:
LunchBahiadelasAguilas-1.jpg

Back to Barahona:
Paradise-1.jpg

Top of the pass going to Constanza:
ChapelGoingtoConstanza-1.jpg

ChapeltoConstanza-1.jpg

Kids love us wherever we go:
165608_1670835683761_1023431799_31788809_1456211_n.jpg

SWOverlook-1.jpg

Lunch in Constanza:
LunchinConstanza-1.jpg

The uva test comparison:
UvatastetestinConstanza-1.jpg

Great riding, superior Top 1% riders, just a fantastic group!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
WOW, makes me want to learn how to ride :)

I have no doubt that kids love you, my 4 yr old son loves DR because of Motoconchos I believe, you would be his God, lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
THIS is lunch @ Los Gringos:

LunchLosGringoa-1.jpg

Thanks, bob, for pointing it out. :classic:

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
Sweet! We have a Harley and love to ride, we were wondering if we should have it shipped there, is there harley dealerships and others that love to ride as we do. Any input would be greatly appresiated.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Magnificent images.

Thanks a lot. I am cruising with my 750 Honda on the Island now for 7 years.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It was a lot of fun. The group of people were classy and a lot of fun too. My favorite food was in Los Perdenales and on the way back from Samana.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
You had me at the grape Fanta... can't wait to buy a bike... I got my motorcycle license last year !!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sweet! We have a Harley and love to ride, we were wondering if we should have it shipped there, is there harley dealerships and others that love to ride as we do. Any input would be greatly appresiated.
There is a dealer. But parts and service will be a problem unless you do your own wrenching.

There are some Harley's here. You see them in groups usually on Sundays. You'll see sport bikes and enduros, too, mainly on Sundays.

But unless you stay on the main slabs, a Harley is the wrong tool for the job down here. A 650-800cc dual-sport bike is the ticket: V-Strom, TransAlp, Versys, GS650/800, etc. JMO.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
There is a dealer. But parts and service will be a problem unless you do your own wrenching.

There are some Harley's here. You see them in groups usually on Sundays. You'll see sport bikes and enduros, too, mainly on Sundays.

But unless you stay on the main slabs, a Harley is the wrong tool for the job down here.

Thanks Cobraboy, Thats Great information, if i understand your statement about tool for the job, it wouldnt be are only means of transportation, we would just like to be able to continue to ride like we do here. (when weather permits) thanks

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Awesome! I love to ride, thanks for sharing. Still thinking about shipping a bike to the DR, leaning on a beemer, the GS800 to be exact.:rambo:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Awesome! I love to ride, thanks for sharing. Still thinking about shipping a bike to the DR, leaning on a beemer, the GS800 to be exact.:rambo:
Great bike!

It'll be pricey ($17,000+) by the time you get it here and you'll need to know how to wrench it yourself-and BMW's DO require significant maintenance.

For $5000+ less you can do a V-Strom that almost never requires maintenance AND Bonanza has techs for them.

With 12 bikes in 3 years with around 85,000 miles total, we've had only one maintenance issue on our Stroms: a clogged high-pressure fuel filter.

Just sayin'...;)

Come ride with us on a Strom for a week. I'll make you a serious deal on our April 17-24 tour.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Great bike!

It'll be pricey ($17,000+) by the time you get it here and you'll need to know how to wrench it yourself-and BMW's DO require significant maintenance.

For $5000+ less you can do a V-Strom that almost never requires maintenance AND Bonanza has techs for them.

With 12 bikes in 3 years with around 85,000 miles total, we've had only one maintenance issue on our Stroms: a clogged high-pressure fuel filter.

Just sayin'...;)

Come ride with us on a Strom for a week. I'll make you a serious deal on our April 17-24 tour.

Strong argument for going with the choice you made, I hope if and when I pull the trigger, logic instead of emotion prevails. Is that tour in April going to the southwest?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Strong argument for going with the choice you made, I hope if and when I pull the trigger, logic instead of emotion prevails. Is that tour in April going to the southwest?
No, it's goes to Samana and Constanza.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Good morning,

imgres

Does anyone know where to purchase one of these beautiful machines here (V Strom1000) and how much they would be?

Thank you.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Good morning,

imgres

Does anyone know where to purchase one of these beautiful machines here (V Strom1000) and how much they would be?

Thank you.

I am trying again to upload a picture....

Last edited: