Sosua's new airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Hehehehahaha! I wonder who dresses these guys in the morning coz they sure ain't capable of a double knot in thier shoe laces. Sometimes I have trouble filtering what may be a wind up from fact.
Brilliant!!

Sure if the drip feed has stopped then close it down, but don't allow it to be reported as if you have only just noticed it. Sheesh, no shame! You imagine one of these masterminds is your dad and you have to face school everyday!

Aug 21, 2007
Been waiting to see if someone provided this link and opened up a discourse. (Thanks, Windeguy.)

I,typically, sit back and wait to see when news is initially reported here in the DR. Usually, the truth eventually unfolds.

However, if what was reported in the link- with the implications- proves to be true, then this one is really Something (capitalization intended) !

Lindsey

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Last weeks news.

This is Monkey Jungle Chuck that has done an amazing job of getting his free clinic and tourist zip line place going. It has not been easy and Chuck does challange just about everything. Not sure if that is good or bad.

He does own a plane and travels to Haiti, the D.R. and the States quite often for his clinics. I took him at his word at that time.

However. I don't understand why anyone would build an airstrip and have "practice" at night for a tourist business. No permit, no radar, no tower and no lights.

Maybe this explains why so many helicopters have been in the area for two months. On the other hand, it took over two months to find?

I wish Chuck luck but only if all is on the "up and up".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The afternoon I was at Monkey Jungle I saw an ultra light land.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It was hardly a secret!

I flew over it a few times and Chuck even invited me to land there. If it was anything like the 1800m long and 30m wide as the report says, I would even consider it!

But it's nothing like that!

I doubt very much that his Canadian friend would land his microlight at night. The strip doesn't have any lights and you cannot fly night VFR in the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Charles Ritzen AKA "Chuck" comments at the OP's link:

"My name is Charles Ritzen and I am the one who owes the alleged "secret" airstrip on my farm. The "airstrip" is 1400 feet long by 30 feet wide road and not 1800 meters by 30 meters. Inspector Sanchez of the IDEC came to inspect the strip/road and requested we join an ultralight flight club if we planned to use it to make sure we complied with IDEC rules. We decided the strip is too dangerous to land an ultralight airplane on it due to wind gusts in this valley and discontinued our plans for it as a tourist attraction. We placed barrels and planted 6" diameter fence posts on the runway/road to defer illicit use as suggested by Inspector Sanchez. Secret--NO . THE PICTURE USED BY THE PRESS IS NOT EVEN THIS STRIP nor surrounding land. Puerto Plata DA needs to see what he is talking about. The strip/road was not even able to be landed on prior to the closure. If they were tipped off-they were sleeping for over a month. Come see for yourself if interested. 9km up El Choco Rd."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...secret-airstrip-next-to-Dominican-resort-town

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
ONce again lots of folks witn little information running off at the mouth, which unfortunatly happens too often on this board.

Chuck had actually "shut" the small landing strip down by puttin in fence posts and trees when he realized that he couldnot use it safely for ultra light flights which was going to be another attraction at the "jungle". This was done long before the "military action"

This is a situation (monkey jungle) where someone is trying to do a very good thing for the local domonican population and continually is being harassed by local authorities with their hands out. It is shameful

Bob K

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
ONce again lots of folks witn little information running off at the mouth, which unfortunatly happens too often on this board.
Bob K

I don't see who has jumped the gun on this. Only finding the polices claims rather pathetic, as usual.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Glad to see what I believe is the truth coming out with the owner and Bob K responding. I know that Bob K is very familiar with this area.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
P1010131.jpg

It's fabulous how things get blown out of proportion around here!!!!
Chuck is trying to do something decent for the people and this is the nonsense he has to put up with!

Picture of the "Airport" in question.

I'm just preparing my Jumbo jet for immediate landing.
Think I'll make it?
:ermm:

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
In good North Coast fashion, jalousy takes over when someone is successful and respected. After living on the North Coast for a long time, you realize that the best way to deal with this is to not even comment and let fouls make fouls of themselfs.

Aug 21, 2007
Amazing how the DR news sources often make claims that simply aren't true. It's commendable the work Mr. Ritzen is doing with his project and his commitment to non-profit work.

And it's sad that we will never see a retraction of the innuendos stated in the news.

Lindsey

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can't do diddly on a 1400' x 30' strip with an actual airplane unless one of those purpose-built STOL planes bushpilots in Alaska use.

I smelled something funny when I first read the story. 1800M x 30M? That's over a mile x 100'! That over 13 acres!

No way.

Thanls for the clarification, BK.

Dec 21, 2008
The media should be ashamed of themselves. I say this in the most general of terms and this is my opinion. While there are reputable reporters and news agencies, it is shameful to what lengths individuals and corporations will go to "make news". Not only do you see this in the DR, it happens world wide.

We have visited the Monkey Jungle and the individuals who work there, the individuals who contribute volunteer hours, and everyone who donates in their own way should be extremely proud of the valuable work that they do for the under privaledged.

Sometimes, people just need to MYOB and let the good work continue....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes you should visit. Here is the web site Monkey Jungle Dominicana | Benefits Projects in Dominican Republic & Haiti
It is a zip line adventure (almost a mile long in total) and the only certified one on the north coast. It also has a natural monkey jungle habitat where you walk through and interact wtih the monkeys.
All the proceeds go to support the onsite FREE medical and dental clinic set up for the poor Dominicans and Hatians in the area. On Saturdays the clinic sees and treats 100 or so patients with free care and medicines. A great cause.

Bob K

Tommyblaze

Mar 27, 2011
Sorry to hijack this thread but the monkey jungle looks fantastic! I cant wait to go, How long has this place been there and hows the zip lining?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It has been open for about 5 months. So far not a single complaint from the hundreds of zippers.
BobK

Status
Not open for further replies.