Driving report

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
During my latest visit to the Republic I decided to rent a car, despite all the warnings about driving in this country. I first spent a few days in Santo Domingo before picking up a Nissan Tiida from Avis near the Hilton Hotel on the Malecon. The first drive out of the city was without incident, but I found direction signs to be confusing or non-existent in many places. The 'speedbumps' which amount to rough ridges of gravel and tar across the road in far too many places, often not clearly marked, are without doubt designed to wreck the suspension or exhaust pipe of what any European would consider to be a roadworthy car, and caused a lot of discomfort to my passengers.

Back in Santo Domingo some gua gua driver decided to move out onto the road without signalling, while I was unable to dodge him with traffic passing on my left. The result of this close encounter was a large scratch along the whole righthand side of the car, which was not appreciated by Avis when I returned the car a week later.

Lane discipline is unknown - trucks and vehicles of all kinds either stuck to one lane no matter what speed they were doing, or overtook to the right or left if anything got in their way. To be overtaken on both sides or to be required to overtake on the wrong side because of some lumbering overloaded tomato truck is disconcerting for a while but one can adjust fairly quickly. It is not hard to get used to motorbikes and scooters driving against traffic in both town and country, or weaving through the traffic, sometimes carrying up to four passengers, you just have to keep your eyes open at all times and constantly expect the unexpected.

A bunch of soldiers I picked up while heading west instructed me on how to get over the speed bumps - you twist the steering wheel while going over and the chassis no longer bangs off the ridge. They of course told me that the road to their destination was fine, but I hope that I will never again have to drive on that badly surfaced rutted road to Jimani.

I left the car in the Hotel Jimani while I went to the border on a moto, and to Port au Prince in a beat up minibus - but that is another story. My first contact with the police was while I was heading for Neiba from Jimani. They were friendly and courteous but warned me not to pick up any passengers.

The drive around Lago Enruiqillo was uneventful but I had to stop frequently to get photos of the lake and mountains, and the iguanas turned up in one or tow locations. There was no problem with traffic generally for the next few days while I visited Barahona, Enriquillo, Santiago, and Jarabacoa. One policeman stopped me ina a village and seemed to be looking for some reason to give me a ticket, checking all documents, pointing to the August 2010 date on my licence. I pointed to the August 2020 date on the other side and he let me go.

In another town, which I will not name in case the authorities might be reading, I was stopped by an AMET officer who told me I had gone through a red light. I told her I saw no lights but that my glasses were lost or stolen and that I hoped that when I got new ones in Santo Domingo my friends there would help me get new ones. 'Tengo amigas in Santo Domingo' I said. 'Tengo una amiga in AMET tambi?n' said she in her wonderful sensual voice, and she put away her notebook - why do such things happen to me on the way out of town?

Aside from the four soldiers I gave lifts to four women, one somewhere east of Neiba who was going to a pharmacy to get medicince for a sick chiild, another who was heading for Santo Domingo to get documents in the Spanish Embassy, the third was heading north towards Cibao with a very shy little girl, the fourth was a trainee teacher I picked up heading home to her village near Santiago. I must say that each little encounter was pleasant and interesting, and a great way to learn a little bit about life in the country.

Overall driving in the Dominican Republic proved to be enjoyable, except for the incident with the gua gua. The police were friendly and there were no places where I felt in danger except for the capital, where there is no room for manoeuvre in a city where the drivers use no signals other than uselessly blaring the horn, and the motorbike riders are completely reckless.

Because of the scratch to the side, which Avis called an accident, I had to go to the police and report the incident. Again, the police were polite and reasonably efficient, (it only took about an hour to get the 3 sentence report for the insurance!)

I am surprised that the speed bumps have not been mentioned in other reports about driving in the DR, as they certainly made things uncomfortable for me on many occasions - there is a variation of course, a shallow trench across the road which is almost impossible to traverse without banging some part of the vehicle against the surface.

Anyway, I hope that this little report will be of some use to those who are thinking of hiring a car to see this wonderfully beautiful country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In other words, we were right. You were well advised as to the dangers of driving here. We did too mention speed bumps here, called "polic?as acostadas"....

Just think, another foot one way and you would have been writing that post from a hospital...or worse...like the 7 or 8 kids that dies over the weekend or the Americand guy, his mate and their little girl that were hit head on by a milk truck!!! on a major highway! Or any of the other 28 dead people on the roads this month alone and we are just 22 days into the month..

This is not a good place to drive for newbies...you were lucky...that is all..

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Great report, sounds like you had an interesting time.

I guess I feel a little differently than HB :)
I absolutely think pople should rent a car and see the country, it's by far the best way.

Avis, Hertz, National and many small rental firms rent to 1,000's of visitors every year and without incident.

I have driven all over the DR, also in Brazil, Japan, Thailand, Australia, USA and all around Europe. The DR can be interesting at times, but it's no worse than Brazil and some other places.

Use common sense, rent from a reputable firm (Avis, National, Hertz etc) and you will not regret the experience.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Considering that he almost got killed??? The report was great, and I am really happy for the guy, but he beat the odds...and good for him...

This is not the country I knew nearly 50 years ago or the one I knew 30 years ago...and if you look at his comments on drivers....you know that it was not a pleasant trip driving around...

HB

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Quote "Nearly got killed"

"Nearly got killed" is an exaggeration. Driving is far more dangerous for the bikers, either because of their own recklessness or that of other drivers. I saw a young man thrown off his bike on the Malecon by a BMW. I am glad I was not the cause of any injury, and that the police turned out to be very different from what I expected from reading reports here. And the AMET babe said 'Tienes una amiga', not 'Tengo', a big difference!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Considering that he almost got killed???

I get almost killed daily and have done for years :)
He had a scrape, so what, it happens the world over, 1,000s of times daily.

Based on the amount of rentals a company like National does annually in the DR, the odds are very much stacked in your favor of not having any issues.

@Goll... I agree, motorcycle accidents are a major cause of road deaths here.
Then again, they are like mosquitos :(

Get out and rent a car people, it's a fantastic way to see the DR!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Great trip report

A classic, enjoyed it immensely. One small word of caution. DONT DRIVE AT NIGHT, otherwise, have fun!!!! As a newbie I drove rentals all over the island and had many near small misses and a few minor accidents. It took a sleeping giant of a horse to get me to stop traveling at night. The horse took up a lane and one half. How I missed him is beyond me. Funny part is he never woke up or moved as I passed his nose at 80 mph. Lesson learned I am now a daytime only DR driver. The experience of the op is typical of a normal civilized experienced driver in the DR for the first time.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Always use a reputable rental car company. I try not to drive at night. Never pick up a stranger.......would you do that in your own country?

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
NEVER pick up a stranger?

Always use a reputable rental car company. I try not to drive at night. Never pick up a stranger.......would you do that in your own country?

Yes, I do pick up strangers in my own country (Ireland). I like helping people out and I enjoy the conversations, and I have enough Spanish to pass the time with Dominicans. I believe that giving lifts is a very low risk activity.

Reactions: ben jammin

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, I do pick up strangers in my own country (Ireland). I like helping people out and I enjoy the conversations, and I have enough Spanish to pass the time with Dominicans. I believe that giving lifts is a very low risk activity.

It may be safe in Ireland, but I would never pick up a hitchhiker in the USA these days [although I did it frequently when I was young and invulnerable]

In DR, I can count on one hand the # of times we've done it over 35 years. Sometimes there are guys in uniforms waiting on the ramp from Santo Domingo [27 de Feb] to San Cristobal, and we'll stop for them if there's room in the car. The only time we picked up 'regular' people was when we saw a couple near our house with an infant waiting for a bus on a bench on a day when it was ready to rain - we drove them about an hour to the capital. Turned out we knew some of the husband's family.

AE

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Loved the driving report, Goll!
I believe that giving lifts is a very low risk activity.

I agree...low-risk and highly helpful-- I always give a lift to women I see on the road or highway- why not help if we can?? :)
Susan