Trace Inverters at PLaza LLama

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
There are some trace inverters at plaza llama in La Romana. Are these the real Trace inverters or knockoffs? Ive been reading on this forum about knockoff trace inverters so now im all worried.

The reason why I ask is cause there is a 1.2kw(1200w) Trace selling for 12000rd. Does this seem right? The DR1524 is like 30000 so im confused.
Im guessing the DR1524 is more because it is 24volts where as the 1.2kw is 12volts but nowhere online can I find that trace makes the 1.2kw.

PLease help

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get in touch with AZB or MrMike, they are two of themost knowledgeable (sp?) folks regarding inverters...ASB knows a guy in Sto Domingo (I have used him and he is good!!)

Try them first...

And yes, those are prolly counterfeit...BTW, that LAMA, not llama...see below...

HB

The one "L" lama, he's a priest.
The two "L" llama, he's a beast.
I'll bet my red pijamas, there ain't no three "L" LLLama!!
Except maybe the fire: a three "L"lama.....

OgdenNash

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some things to consider:

1) There are several local brands that are every bit as good as a Trace for half the cost. I reviewed one last year built in Moca and bought in Santiago, the Wave by Inverluz.

2) There are batteries that perform as well as Trojan for much less money.

3) You really want a 24v. system, not 12v. Thank me later.

4) You need to have your electrical panel grounded before installing an inverter system.

5) Figure your highest wattage use and buy an inverter at least 25% (or more) higher capacity. If that demand # is 2000W, get a 2400W system, etc.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
By the way Trace does not make batteries even though youll see Trace batteries everywhere! AND the Trace name has been changed to Xantrex (or Xantrax) for several years now.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
Some things to consider:

1) There are several local brands that are every bit as good as a Trace for half the cost. I reviewed one last year built in Moca and bought in Santiago, the Wave by Inverluz.

2) There are batteries that perform as well as Trojan for much less money.

3) You really want a 24v. system, not 12v. Thank me later.

4) You need to have your electrical panel grounded before installing an inverter system.

5) Figure your highest wattage use and buy an inverter at least 25% (or more) higher capacity. If that demand # is 2000W, get a 2400W system, etc.

Cobraboy,

What batteries would you recommend then if not trojan red?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,

What batteries would you recommend then if not trojan red?
There are a number of quality 6v deep-cycle "golf cart" batteries out there. I have US Batteries that have performed flawlessly with minimal maintenance. But there are other brands.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
There are a number of quality 6v deep-cycle "golf cart" batteries out there. I have US Batteries that have performed flawlessly with minimal maintenance. But there are other brands.

Ok thx, I was looking at some interstate batteries as it is a trusted name back in Canada and the US. 4300rd/unit.

You mentioned grounding my home. How would I go about grounding a 3rd floor apartment?

Wes

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok thx, I was looking at some interstate batteries as it is a trusted name back in Canada and the US. 4300rd/unit.

You mentioned grounding my home. How would I go about grounding a 3rd floor apartment?

Wes
With a cable attached to a copper rod driven 3-4' into the ground.

It's a simple, non-complex task for an electrician.

But if you don't ground your panel the inverter will not act as a surge suppressor, an important function.

Interstate is a fine battery.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
With a cable attached to a copper rod driven 3-4' into the ground.

It's a simple, non-complex task for an electrician.

But if you don't ground your panel the inverter will not act as a surge suppressor, an important function.

Interstate is a fine battery.

Wow, here in the US Code requires the rod to be 8' (3/8" thick)and completely underground.

OP - I highly suggest you hire an electrician in the DR to do that work for you, labor there is not expensive as it is here in the US. A job like that would cost from $500-$800US here. I would imagine that you can find a good electrician there to do it for $2000 - $3000 pesos, which is not even $100US.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also have an a Wave Inverter from Inverlux in Moca. It works well. I just found out they have a store in Puerto Plata on 27 Febrero under the same owner selling the same products. The name of the company in Puerto Plata is Megatone. They also repair inverters at the Puerto Plata location. In the past I have gone to Moca.

It is correct that Trace is no longer making inverters under that name. The new name is Xantrex since Trace was purchased by Xantrex. If the inverters have Trace on them they are either very old stock or counterfeits.

Trojan Red, US Battery and Interstate deep cycle batteries are all good brands. People have also had good luck with Trojan Black batteries. It is also correct that Trace does not make or market batteries and that is another trademark stealing company who is selling those batteries labeled Trace. Some people have not had good luck with "Energy" batteries which have a black case and are sold in a lot of hardware stores. Luis Hernandez is a major importer of batteries and usually has fresher stock. It is best to buy batteries that are as fresh as possible from the factory.