Help with a case

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I hope it is OK to ask the community here... this is not an NGO or an orphanage... just help with one person ..who is a dedicated and hard working single mom..

this is one time request to help out a woman who sold everything to buy psych medicines for her son..

I talked to the community before about this
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/111430-no-free-meds.html

She will now be getting the meds free from the government

The main issue is to get her back her Solidarity card which she pawned...which is worth $1000 pesos a month
that will cost $6500

(fewer than one million people here have the Solidarity card, it is very hard to get as it includes a home visit and certification)

And to get back her stove and the gas tank, so that she will stop cutting wood,

For the rest, she will be able to replace it bit by bit,

So I am hoping to raise about $12000, pesos. ($324) the total that will get
her almost even with the world.

(I have already given her, in prior months, the proceeds from the article,, plus....)

So if any of you might be willing to help with this case....

I can accept payments at PAYPAL.

THANK YOU so much

SHE TOLD ME SHE SOLD EACH OF THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES FOR DIFFERENT PRICES AROUND RD$200, 300, 500, 1000

UNA ESTUFA, A STOVE
UN TANQUE DE GAS, GAS TANK
JUEGO DE SABANAS, sheet set,
JUEGO DE OLLAS, cook Set
TELEVISo
RADIO, RADIO,
PLANCHA, IRON,
CORTINAS, CURTAINS,
LICUADORA, BLENDER,
ABANICO, FAN
TOSTADORA, TOASTER
VASOS, GLASSES set
MOSQUITERO, MOSQUITO NET,
Juego de Comedor DINNING SET,
CUCHARAS, SPOONS
VAJILLA, , DISHES SET
GRECA COFFE MAKER,
TANQUE PARA AGUA PLASTICO PLASTIC WATER TA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll send something - PM me your Paypal address

Bless you for caring, and doing, and not just talking about it......

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Same here Annie !

THANKS!!!

Sometimes it can feel pretty overwhelming when there seem to be so many people in need.

But Cristina really has a way out now.. and I love her spirit.. She never really complained about her circumstances, was just a bit overwhelmed.

Some people said that she would never have gotten help if I, a gringo, had not intervened.. and, well, perhaps that is true but I think that ANYONE could have gotten to head psychiatrist here. Not just me. I think that perhaps it took a gringo with a bit of moxie to just place the call.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
thought I would bump it up in case there might be others...

thanks so much for the ones who have given.

I hope to be able to get Cristina's Solidarity card back for her next week.

The solidary card is issued by the government to one particular person is it not ????????

How can it be pawned ??????? It should be reported to the government

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yes ,ok pm your paypal.
Some drug companies give free drugs to needy cases.
Some charities e.g. Mind UK can help.
Show accounts so far not so exactly.
There used to be a village near me where for some reason there were many people with
this type of problem. They lived for free but helped out in the fields.

Yanandu.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The solidary card is issued by the government to one particular person is it not ????????

How can it be pawned ??????? It should be reported to the government

yes,.. indeed .. She did break the law, as did the person whom she pawned it to. I talked with her about this..She knew it was against the law but saw no other way. Without the medication, her son was violent. He would break furniture and hit her. On the generics, he would vomit and still be violent. The doctor took away the generics which she was managing to pay for and put her son on the brand names. See the story here DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Managing Mental Illness on a Few Pesos a Month - IPS ipsnews.net

When I asked her to go to the man who had her card, to see how much it would cost to get it back, he wrote me a note saying that it would be $8500 pesos .. and that he was giving her "consideration" for her son. I sent it back with her to ask him for his phone number so that we could discuss it. Since he had had the use of the card for four months, that should be the interest. I reminded her that this was illegal.. she begged me not to do anything since he was a neighbor and she had gone to him, asking for help. I got a note back saying that he would give her the card back for the $6500 pesos he had given her.

It is also illegal to cut trees, as she is being forced to do. And she knows that as well.

There are two or three cases a week of mental patients who are dropped off at 28... I suspect that they would not be, if there were a better system of delivering the needed medication to the patients.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yes ,ok pm your paypal.
Some drug companies give free drugs to needy cases.
Some charities e.g. Mind UK can help.
Show accounts so far not so exactly.
There used to be a village near me where for some reason there were many people with
this type of problem. They lived for free but helped out in the fields.

Yanandu.

Thanks!!

She will be getting the medicines for free from the Secretary of Mental Helalth. The government does have the needed medicines available, evidently.. but they do not yet have a distribution system that gets down to the people who need it. There are evidently even day care centers for some of the patients but it is still a mystery to me how to find them and where they are. There is one, for instance, near the Zona, where the Politur can take folks who are wandering the streets... so as not to disturb the tourists.

The entire Ministry of Mental Health only gets .38% of the mental health budget... and half of that goes to the only psychiatric hospital here.

The Minister was very solicitous, wanted her to start a home based business so that she could care for her son at home, perhaps even teach him the business... they promised all sorts of help, which did not materialize on her second visit alone.. since she is poor woman, with no education, who is simply going to take what they give her and not press for more. I am sure that she will show up there for the medicine every month .. if they do not get it to her local hospital in San Cristobal, but unless she pushes, I do not think she will get any other help. I will push her to push them... since they say that they want to empower the families of the patients. She does have a cell phone so she is not going to bombard them with calls... and neither am I..

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
send me your paypal as well please. My daughter suffers from mental illness and I don't know what I would do without her meds...bless you for helping her!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
yes,.. indeed .. She did break the law, as did the person whom she pawned it to. I talked with her about this..She knew it was against the law but saw no other way. Without the medication, her son was violent. He would break furniture and hit her. On the generics, he would vomit and still be violent. The doctor took away the generics which she was managing to pay for and put her son on the brand names. See the story here DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Managing Mental Illness on a Few Pesos a Month - IPS ipsnews.net

When I asked her to go to the man who had her card, to see how much it would cost to get it back, he wrote me a note saying that it would be $8500 pesos .. and that he was giving her "consideration" for her son. I sent it back with her to ask him for his phone number so that we could discuss it. Since he had had the use of the card for four months, that should be the interest. I reminded her that this was illegal.. she begged me not to do anything since he was a neighbor and she had gone to him, asking for help. I got a note back saying that he would give her the card back for the $6500 pesos he had given her.
(............)

Did I understand you well?? He used the card for the last 4 months ????

What is the monthly amount of pesos the card worth ?? I know it's food you can buy at a certain price but there's a monthly limit ????

I am not judging the mother. I think that it's the government responsibility to take appropriate measures to make sure the card is used by the person to whom it is issued.

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
send me your paypal as well please. My daughter suffers from mental illness and I don't know what I would do without her meds...bless you for helping her!

Is this a joke ???????????if so, you have very bad taste.

We know Mountainannie is not joking though

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is this a joke ???????????if so, you have very bad taste.

We know Mountainannie is not joking though

What's wrong with what skinny36 wrote? S/he is offering to help Cristina and is expressing empathy as the parent of a child with mental health problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.