Fraud- Extortion

SyCapital

Mar 23, 2011
My cousin of 20yrs. has been in the US for lest then 1yr. Last week he received a called for a supposedly lawyer in DR, threatening to file charges against him for Statutory Rape unless he sends $150.000 pesos to resolve the matter. Apparently 3yrs ago when he was 18yr he had sex with his girlfriend while she was 14yr. The sex was consensual and it happened on various occasions. He reached out to the family to evaluate the legitimacy of the lawyer?s claim; but their response was ?give us the money or we are putting you in jail. We have an ORDER for your arrest; you will be arrested at the airport, etc.? He requested a copy of the legal papers and today he received a document from the MINISTERIO PUBLICO that looks like a complaint. Now I know Statutory Rape is a Criminal offense that must handle by a prosecutor, not a private lawyer, so it already it sounds like a scam, but we are worry.
My questions are
1. What is the typical legal process in DR. Does the prosecutor have to notify us of Complaint,
2. How can I verify if a Complaint has been filed or Order has been issued,
3. The sex occurred over 2yrs ago, can he deny the entire occurrence and say they never had sex
4. What sort of proof must they provide to prove they had sex,
5. Do we break the law if we decide to pay, is it illegal to settle criminal matters with money
6. Can he go to the police here in the US, does that help or worsen he matter,
7. Has anyone heard of a similar Case, Fraud, etc.
Sorry for the many question but we are worry.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't have the time to answer all your questions, but one obvious thing is not to go to the police here in The US as here it is considered rape and believe it or not he can be prosecuted for it if they so decide. In The DR if you have sex with an underage girl and it's consensual a lot of families will try to extort money, by threatening to put you in jail. What a lot of guys do is they "marry" the "offended" girl and dump her a few months later or just pay up, because they can put you in jail if they do decide to pursue it. I've seen several cases like this and sometimes the guy is not even the one who took the girl's virginity, but he is the one they think they can get money from.

Now if this happened a couple of years ago, then I would say at this point is a matter of he said she said, so how can they prove that? However if your relative already admitted he had sex with her then his best route is to settle with the family or marry her (elope).

Reactions: Bronxboy

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Well you should be worried, ministerio publico is the body that can investigate a crime and press charges againts an individual who as broken the law. This is the case when an adult as sex with a minor. Worst a 14 year old girl is not capable of making this decision.

1. Mimisterio Publico is the prosecutor
2. you will find a case number on the complaint.
3. all she needs are witness
4. If the allaged case took place wile he was in the dr
5. You will need a lawyer to make sure the complaints is droped and filed after setlement.
6. the police in the US will not help or change anything.
7. this is a violation of the minors act iligal even in your country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the US you are ipso facto a rapist. Do not look for any protection there.

In the DR this is a daily occurrance. Tell them you will send them $50 for the lawyer. See what they say. This is extorsion, for sure.

Did the girl get pregnant? Was she pi$$ed at the guy for leaving>/?

See if charges have been filed. Of course the person won't go to jail, what good would that do? The girl can be asked to testify in his favor, unless she was brainwashed..

Get a lawyer, above all!!!

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What the H*ll is there to answer!!!!????

An 18yo having sex with a 14yo girl!!!

Consensual or not 14 years of age is not something to be proud of...

The only advise here is to get a lawyer and deal with the family directly before stepping in the DR ever again!

An arrest warrant via the US legal system can be enforced with ease on cases like this one.

Don't pay a penny until your DR hired lawyer tells you is OK to do so! Just the fact of paying without legal counsel and protection can render you guilty as presumed in the DR.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If they don't have proof then just deny the lot. Get a well respected lawyer to stand and deal with it. If she didn't have a child and they don't have anything else to go on it shouldn't go far. If all it took to get gringos in the sh1t was an accusation the prisons would be full of them.
Use a lawyer with a bit if clawt and he should beable to make it disappear pretty quickly. Don't pay her, unless she is only after child support in which case do your duty and man up, support them. I'm looking from a logic viewpoint, not necessarily a legal viewpoint.
You probably deserve a rough time for screwing a child, but that's not the issue.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh come on, kids are having sex a 9 and 10- here...it is all they see on TV and it is fun!! There are literally hundreds of 11 and 12 year olds giving birth...every year...
I reported in another thread how one of my freshman students showed me a picture of her 2 year old. She had him when she was 16 so she was screwing when she was 14 or 15 and her boyfriend was 16 or 17...this is a fact of life in the DR...

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Oh come on, kids are having sex a 9 and 10- here...it is all they see on TV and it is fun!! There are literally hundreds of 11 and 12 year olds giving birth...every year...
I reported in another thread how one of my freshman students showed me a picture of her 2 year old. She had him when she was 16 so she was screwing when she was 14 or 15 and her boyfriend was 16 or 17...this is a fact of life in the DR...

HB

It's a fact of life eveywhere. There seems to lots of babies pushing babycarriages here in Canada too.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Doesn't make it right, and I won't accept 10 year olds should be having sex just because they can. It most certainly isn't a fact of life in my families life, just because it happens.
I remember sitting on the beach over in the north some years ago, sipping a beer and watching the world go by. I tuned into a conversation a group of females were having 20 yards away. A mother of a 10 or 11 year old child bragging to smothers how proud she was that her daughter was about to give birth.
It is not as if the natives of this country are hidden away from a modern world, not knowing what is acceptable or normal.
Yes it happens a lot but it is still shocking and those screwing kids should be dealt with like paedo's that is what they are.

14 and 18 is different, not a huge deal but if you are gunna screw for sport, at least have the noodles to make sure she is old enough. What fun can it be with a kid of that age anyway, something wrong for people to be happy about that arrangement.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I must confess: I used to think Anastacio was full of it.

But here lately, his posts have made lots of sense.
I agree with this one, too.

SyCapital

Mar 23, 2011
Thank you everyone for your comments, just to clarify, There is no child involved and my cousin is a Dominican national, They were boyfriend and girlfriend for about 1yr.with the families consent. The father with the help of the girl is the one pushing the issue. They keep demanding money. I will consult with a DR lawyer.
On another note, i agree the children should not be having sex and need to be protected, but an 18yr old is also sort of a kid, Granted he was Wrong.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
On another note, i agree the children should not be having sex and need to be protected, but an 18yr old is also sort of a kid, Granted he was Wrong.

He is a dangerous man if he finds 13 and 14 year old children sexually attractive. A fully developed man finding undeveloped (mentally or physically) girls a turn on is not a good start in his adult life, where will he be when he is 30 or 40?
I think we've all sat in a bar and seen a young girl walk by and think, 'she is going to be a real beauty when she grows up', it is natural to think that, we acknowledge beauty, but the difference is the 'when she grows up', most don't act on it.
18 year old is not a child where I come from and he should know better, I doubt he would have acted on it in his own country. That is a predator of sorts, acting on it coz he can here.
Still, I understand the situation and he is being taken for a ride.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Anastacio
seriously.... a dangerous man ?
nowadays a 14 year old girl is pretty developed ,you see them walking around like they are grown and acting like young women
I do not condone it ,but thats reality
The young man was 18 not a
60 years old pervert
Manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anastacio
seriously.... a dangerous man ?
nowadays a 14 year old girl is pretty developed ,you see them walking around like they are grown and acting like young women
I do not condone it ,but thats reality
The young man was 18 not a
60 years old pervert
Manu

I stated undeveloped (mentaly or Physically) a 14 year old girl is not a developed woman of one way or tother. And like I also said, many think it, but you don't act on it. If you do then where are your boundaries?
My concern is not of the guy, it is the girl he is having sex with. No matter how old he is it does not change the age she is, mentally or physically.
And this attitude of 'nowadays a 14 year year old is pretty developed, you see them walking around and acting like they are grown women'. Well you said it yourself and the emphasis being on 'acting like they are grown women'. And 'nowadays'? that is a cop out, nowadays men know better than ever before, sex with minors is wrong. You justify having sex with a minor on the fact she listens to Shakira and tries to look sexy, none of this changes her actual age and develpoement, and she is a child.
My niece puts her grandmothers shoes on and stomps around the house, she is 7, but tries to act like a woman.

60 year old perverts were 18 once, just older men without the same boundaries most of us understand.

I am trying not to over react as I do see 18 and 14 isn't a huge deal, but it is still very wrong on his part, as he as the adult should know better.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Thank you
of course you are entitled to your opinion and so am I!
Other contries marry girls away ,way younger then that.I never said it was alright to do ,I had a problem with the "dangerous man"part
way overboard!
Manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I never said it was alright to do ,I had a problem with the "dangerous man"part
way overboard!
Manu

OK, predator then. But the country is full of predators so not anything that will make the evening news.
My strong thoughts on this stem from being the father of British/Dominican little girl. I don't want men to visiting to think it is okay to come to the country to prey on young girls, you can get away with it, it is acceptable. I want men to consider that if they are going to prey on kids in the Republic then they will face the same charges (and some)as in the US, UK. It will never be like that any time soon but it is my responsibility as a father to tell you your friend is a sexual predator and not welcome.
It can be seen as an over reaction, the age difference is only 4 years, nothing to lose sleep about. My concern is where the line is drawn. 13 year old seems so much younger than 14, but it isn't and so 12 is not far behind, 11?. Where are the boundaries?

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Then the questions should be for the parents ,the educators !
Where were you and how come you did not know were your 14 year old
girl was !
manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is a norm. I think my point is that it should be installed firmly into visitors that it isn't acceptable. The country is already a sex tourist haven, do we really want it to progress to the next stage by telling visitors 'oh, it is okay to come and screw our kids because the local boys do'?
That isn't the road of progression in my mind, I can't accept that it should be overlooked just because it is quite normal.
I personally don't care who they are, natives or visitors, my reaction is the same. Usually the native boys are dirty perverted sex obsessed losers.
Maybe I'm not making my point exactly how I want to, but I just don't feel it is OK to say it is OK because it happens.

Reactions: Africaida

SyCapital

Mar 23, 2011
I asked for open-minded opinions, but i see the issue has gotten loss. My cousin is by far a predator or an opportunist. As i said before the families were ok'd it with their 1yr. plus relationship. I also have a problem with what he did, but to demand money for his freedom, that i have a problem with. All i need is options on how to resolve this extortion. Please see my questions above.
thanks.
Ps. an 18yr and a 60yr are very different individuals.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
It was said before on here ! Let him
try to patch things up, marry her ,then divorce her quickly ,since its obviously a scheme to get money.
Cheaper than paying a laywer
Regards
Manu