Need some informations

V

vlada

I need some information about Republica Dominicana.
I am planing to visit it,
but I don't know Spanish , and I heard that it is very hard
if you don't know Spanish.

S

Susanne

Thousands of people visit the DR every year without knowing any Spanish at all.

Whether this is going to be difficult for you rather depends on what you are planning to do. If you want to stay with local people and make in-depth interviews, it is going to be a disadvantage not being able to speak Spanish. If you are just going on holiday you will be surprised how far a smile will get you. Add to this an honest trying to master a few Spanish phrases (like hello, thank you, how nice etc.) and you will be just fine.

Most resorts will have someone speaking English. Just don't be impatient and don't be frustrated if you don't get what you want the first time. Laugh and have fun. I think the language barrier is only a major problem to people who have trouble laughing at themselves and get insulted if they cannot make themselves understood to everyone.

Regards,
Susanne

K

KenDP

I agree with Susanne. Not knowing Spanish should not be a problem if you are coming for a vacation. Sign language, pointing, etc., accomplish a lot. Most people you come in contact with during your visit are used to dealing with people who don"t speak Spanish. And many speak and understand some English if you speak slowly. Enjoy your visit.

E

Elena

Just to add to what's alredy discussed, you will be surpised how much spanish you'll pick up while there!
Have a great vacation!!

S

Stephen Hadley

I have been to the DR 6 times now and all the spanish i know, I learned there.... while it definately helps to have a translator you can get by with out.

learn a few basics words(hi, bye, food, water, beach, etc) and be flexible...

S

Susanne

practice on the net...

I just remembered: on www.hispaniola.com (link below) there is a Spanish phrase page where you can learn yourself. A Dominican will pronounce about 250 different everyday words. Lots of fun but best with a good Internet connection.

Just pick "talking phrases" on the menu on the left side.

Regards,
Susanne

R

Richard

one point to remember. Unlike the French, Dominicans and other Spanish speaking people will laugh with you, not at you when you mangle their language. Relax and enjoy yourself. Richard