Looking for job in DR

llBamBamll

Mar 24, 2011
Hello,

I came to this site because I could see on many other forums that they refer to this site as being the best and most helpful.

I am a student living in Denmark right now, but am born and have been living in Germany for the first 13 years. After that I moved to Denmark where I live and study right now. I am studying at the International Business Academy where I am about to graduate the Bachelor in International sales and marketing in January 2012.
As I see myself really sick and tired of Denmark, and don?t want to go back to Germany either I seek challenges abroad. A perfect place for me would be to move and live in the Dominican republic as I see many opportunities for growth and for good jobs. So I would like to ask on this forum if there are any people who knows where I can get a job which can supply me with experience and at least enough money to live in the dominican republic for at least a year. If you know anything or anyone who could help me with this, please PM me or contact me on my E-mail bjoernhenrik@hotmail.com.
If you need any details on me or have questions please feel free to contact me.
I am searching for an internship too this summer for 3 month.

Please help me fullfilling my dream to go to the dominican republic.

Cincerily,

Bj?rn Kristensen

llBamBamll

Mar 24, 2011
What do you mean with "the good money are for professionals"? When are you a professional? I mean, I got a University degree in International Sales and Marketing. There must be some work for me ? Of course I would not go without money, but is money really everything ?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The chances of you finding a job here, whilst being in another country are very remote, unless you can work through a Danish subsidiary or international firm that has ties in the DR.

You need to be here, you need to network here.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I'm sure the best chances are in German speaking call centers - I believe some have German sections and promoting DR property / services to German speakers.
Some jobs will be commission only or small retainer to start.
For example working for a diving school promoting their dive courses etc.
But numerous others.
Then there a chance to network as Robert says.
One person was selling wine for delivery in Germany using DR as a base. The services are all here : sufficient internet speed for free or nearly free international calls, web designers; German ex-pat community in case extra help needed; low rent office space.
Another chance is to get a contract with a German / Danish / US Co. that allows for remote working and needs German language skills. There are sites that advertise these sorts of positions but there is competition.
An example might be a smaller company offshoring their 'first line response to sales' enquiry process. They need more than virtual office; need someone knowledgeable on their product to immediately respond and organize what needs doing.
I'm British, had a contract with a French organisation and negotiated to originate the Work in Spain.
Yanandu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is difficult to do anything when in the country without contacts. Doing anything worthwhile from outside is near enough pointless, you won't get anywhere. You need to plan a trip, get enough cash to last you six months, then come and have a look for yourself at the reality. I know it us difficult to believe that there could be so little opportunity open to you, so you need to see for yourself. 10,000 euros behind you, six months scoot about, try a few options, different approaches, see if you can handle the adjustment and rejection, frustration etc. You will then know either way what you want to do. And at the end of the day, at worst you have had 6 months educational experience and you are only short a few euros.
Good luck!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I sent a PM to the OP regarding a position I saw advertised at the German Chamber of Commerce. They are looking for a bilingual Spanish/German administrator.

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a while, but not yet posted a lot. I have been in the DR three times, and soon going back more permanently.

I want to say to the OP, that I have been more or less in a similar situation. I have a degree in international marketing and leadership from a Finnish university. I wanted to do the same as the OP, go to DR for a while to work couple of years ago, and thought (I was very naive back then) that with "my papers" I would not have any problems anywhere. I was very wrong. What Anastacio and Robert have said, is very correct and I agree with everything they say, unfortunately coming from my own experience, not from the wise words from people who have actually resided in the DR for a long time. I had connections (I still do), but even those were not enough. I had to come crawling back to Europe to make some money.

Currently I'm doing what Robert mentioned (almost). I'm working for a Finnish exporter, who does not however require me to stay in one location, so I will relocate myself shortly to the north coast of DR. Also, we want to begin operations in the DR, so that's the minor reason for my relocation.

Like John Boyter said, I would encourage the OP to contact some institutions, for example embassies or something.

Another point: If the you would be so lucky and find something from a Dominican company, if I have understood correct, you can expect to be paid very very little. All the people I personally know in the country, are running their own businesses, because they say that that's the only profitable way. They are not big businesses, but they make their living and some extra with those.

Jari

llBamBamll

Mar 24, 2011
First and foremost I came to think of that I need a place for internship first, and while I am there I can do some research on how and where to work in the DR.
There have been some talk about some sites that I could go to for job ? Which one ?

And do you know a company who is originated in Europe, who I maybe could apply to ?

Regards,

Bj?rn