First time post, hoping for Sousa travle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
I have been trying to research a future trip to DR. I have been researching for about 3 weeks now but I wanted to try and combine what I have learned to see if I am acurate, and ask a few last minute questions,

1. I know about 5 Spanish words... sad but true. Will I be able to make it in the DR with very limited Spanish ( I have made it through Peru and Costa Rica on the these 5 words and peoples good graces!) My main concern is trying to use Metro or Caribre tours with little Spanish.

2. I will start my trip with a few days in Santo Domingo, but after that I am thinking about trying Sousa. I want non AI hotels in an area slightly away from the hustle and bussle of the major cities. Would this be a good option for easy access to the fun but without being in the middle of everything?

3. If I can manange the buses with my poor Spanish will I have to go through Santiago to get to Sousa from Santo Domingo? If so I might stay a day there for the heck of it.

4. Honestly for first time visitors to the Dr is driving, a bus, or a taxi the best option for this trip from SD to Sousa??? I don't want to have to spring for the taxi but if it is my best option with my given skills and itinerary I will.

5. If Sousa is too "right in the middle of things" is there anywhere else that has easy access to all the fun without the hassle of being front and center????

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
1. Yes you'll be fine, would be best if you could brush up a bit but plenty people get by with a bit of pointing and head nodding.

2. Sosua is always smaller than people expect. There are not hotels right in the middle of it, as the middle of it is a very restricted area of one street with a few bars. If you want to be well away from the whole scene then stay in Cabarete down the road. Still a bit of a scene, better European feel and less filth.

3. Rather than a few days in the Capital I'd suggest 2 days in the Capital and then spend 2 days in Santiago before heading up to Sosua/Cabarete.

4. You can get a cab but it wil be expensive, if you must then use Anacaona taxis from the Capital, best long distance prices. I think a bus is the best option though.

5. Like I said, Sosuas reputation seems bigger than its physical size. Sosua is small and right in the middle does not really exist. As said, Cabarete is up the road.

Jan 17, 2009
You definitely won't need a car if going to Sosua or Cabarete. Take the bus.

No need to speak Spanish to take Caribe Tours or Metro, just say "Sosua, 1 ('uno'). That's all. The bus will stop in Santiago. Twice if you take Caribe Tours, once in you take Metro. If you decide to stay in Santiago and take Caribe Tours, get off in the Jardines stop.

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Ok, thanks for the advice. The only thing that scared me about Cabarete was that I have heard so much about it being "major party spot". I just didn't want to end up in a Spring Break type atmosphere surronded by teenage drunks, but maybe I read to much into the refference of it being a party place. Also I went to Peru last year and I litterally got a headache from rufusing to buy JUNK from street peddlers and vendors who pretty much stalked you and viewed you as fresh meat to sell to. I loved Peru but it almost ruined my trip. So I guess when I say that I want a little distance between me and "the middle of everything" THAT is what i am trying to avoid :) Thanks again!

bray-ar

Mar 22, 2011
Hmmm ok so now that those areas are "disqualified" is anywhere in the DR a good idea?? I mean I can handle people offereing to sell me stuff. I know the routine I just don't like feeling like a caged animal bc they are all crowding me pushing junk in my face! I wanna drink and have fun but I also wanna go back to my hotel w out fighting my way through a crowd of drunken idiots. What now?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Cabarete is fine. You would go mad down by the beach in Sosua but it isn't or wasn't that bad in Cabarete.
The eastcoast is boring, and if alone you may go insane.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
no teenage drunks in sosua, not that ive seen anyway, and to avoid venders wear a pair of long trousers to the beach and try to look like you live here... then slip out of them on the beach

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Cabarete's only as wild as you want it to be.
Sosua's okay too, a little crowded on the beach on Saturdays & Sundays.

Here's a couple of videos (programming from about 3 yrs ago) that will give you some insight.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iK8HsWi6Hfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u4T5fsv1Z1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.