Extinct aniimals of the Dominican Republic.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm searching around to see what we have and what we have lost. Not so easy, seems like there is not a huge amount of interest in larger animals, although plenty research in creepy crawlies and wotnot.
Obviously at some point there must have been larger wild animals, boars and such like, but what was there. It is difficult to see what was native and what was introduced, I presume most were introduced, but still, not much info to be found.
I'd love to see some reintroduction programs, get some good wildlife, real animals. I'm sick of spiders and centerpedes being a daily occurrence, while the howl of a night fox or calling of some monkey would be refreshing and leave a more tropical feeling.
I know things like reintroduction is never gunna happen in my life, but what has been made extinct, what was roaming the country at one time?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Never were here. At least there have been no remains found in any of the caves or other sites. And the animals/mammel/birds that are extinct are extinct forever because they were unique to the island...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Last Survivors
The Last Survivors website raises awareness of the last surviving Caribbean endemic land mammals and focusses conservation attention on these valuable but highly threatened species.

Before humans arrived, around 120 species of land mammal (excluding bats) occurred in the Caribbean region, but many have now gone extinct, some very recently, with possibly only 15 surviving today.

For two of the “Last Survivors”, the Hispaniolan solenodon and Hispaniolan hutia, a Darwin-Initiative funded project was launched in the Dominican Republic in October 2009. It is a collaborative effort between Dominican and UK partners, led by the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust. Its goal is to conduct field research on these poorly known species to assess their status, identify their conservation needs, to develop monitoring tools and to plan their long-term conservation.

The Last Survivors website reports the main outputs of the project, such as scientific findings, news articles, and conservation plans. You will also be able to track the development of our species range maps, which will be updated regularly with survey data soon after they are collected in the field. Regular blog updates from the field team and English and Spanish language Facebook groups will give you an insight into life working in the Dominican forests, and so you can find out how the project is progressing. And with lots of video and photos of solenodons and hutias, and background information on their ecology and main threats, we hope that these highly valuable species are better understood – and ultimately better protected.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I'm searching around to see what we have and what we have lost. Not so easy, seems like there is not a huge amount of interest in larger animals, although plenty research in creepy crawlies and wotnot.
Obviously at some point there must have been larger wild animals, boars and such like, but what was there. It is difficult to see what was native and what was introduced, I presume most were introduced, but still, not much info to be found.
I'd love to see some reintroduction programs, get some good wildlife, real animals. I'm sick of spiders and centerpedes being a daily occurrence, while the howl of a night fox or calling of some monkey would be refreshing and leave a more tropical feeling.
I know things like reintroduction is never gunna happen in my life, but what has been made extinct, what was roaming the country at one time?

But the Dominican Republic does have a short list of larger/medium sized animals. Crocodiles and iguanas are found at Lago Enriquillo. Wild boars (jabal?s) can be found in the Parque Nacional Jos? Armando Berm?dez (where Pico Duarte is located) and we still have the endangered solenodon, which may be small but they have been around since the dinosaurs and are very rare. The Hutia has already been mentioned as well.

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
I asked my boyfriend about why I never see larger sized while animals here, even in the country and he says that anything that was dangerous was killed off.... (He's Dominican)
So I would be interested in finding out what your research finds about the extinct animals of DR as well! Good luck with your research!

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Hi all,

If you want to find out about mammals in the Dominican Republic then do log on to The Last Survivors (spanish website is: www.losultimosobrevivientes.org) where you can find out more about our work.

Joe

Joe,

Does your organization have proof of wild boars in the Dominican Republic? I mentioned their existence because on my several trips to Pico Duarte, the local guides have confirmed to me that they are not an uncommon sighting.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I know that the mystic Coqui which is a small frog that most people think is only native of Puerto Rico, are also found in the DR.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Man, they must really be well hidden. I've never heard one.

On the other hand, the symphony of "makos" I have in the surrounding areas of my home are truly impressive in the evening hours.

It is not like you would be able to see them in the open, they are very small tree frogs and usually blend in with the envornment and usually come out at night.

Other places that the Coqui have made their homes beside Puerto Rico and DR are the Virgin Islands, Florida and Hawaii since the 80s which Hawaii have been spending so much money trying to exterminate because these frogs are alien to Hawaii and are afraid they will eat up all the island's insects.

While Puerto Rico loves these frogs, its nightly co-kee sound and is very symbolic to the country, there is a world fungus that is killing the entire world population of these creatures in the places where they are loved, while Hawaii has done almost everything to exterminate them by even introducing them with the fungus, acid, pesticides and even bounties, they still can't kill them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We saw and heard a variety of coqui at Ca?o Hondo (Los Haitises). In PR you hear them everywhere.

ikerjo92

May 9, 2011
Our island has a very complex geographical history and a way more complex ecosystem, it has one of the larger bird diversity of central america (except costa rica) and an enormous diversity of arthropods and amphibians. As an island there is almost no way a big terrestial animal can enter the country. Now, lets answer some questions:

Extinct animals: There is evidence of a pigmy ground sloth thet lived in the late pleistocene and was hunted by the aborigins, also the mute dog( a canid endemic to the island) and a tree iguanna once inhabited the island.

Why not more "tropical" animals: the only island in the caribbean that have monkeys is PR, and its beacuse a series of experimentes the CIA led there in the 50' with japanese macaws that went feral. You cant speak of "reintroducting" a species that never was ther in first place. There is a very complex ecosystem to be cared of invasive species.

There are wild boars and deers in the island, fruit of introduction by spaniards during the "espa?a boba" period and trujillo dictatorship respectively. They are just well hidden, but if you stay long enough in the forests you may see one (a friend of mine even hunted a deer once)

Manatees and crocodiles are good examples of native big animals and are amazing to watch on their natural habitats (los haitises and jaragua national parks, respectively)

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Our island has a very complex geographical history and a way more complex ecosystem, it has one of the larger bird diversity of central america (except costa rica) and an enormous diversity of arthropods and amphibians. As an island there is almost no way a big terrestial animal can enter the country. Now, lets answer some questions:

Extinct animals: There is evidence of a pigmy ground sloth thet lived in the late pleistocene and was hunted by the aborigins, also the mute dog( a canid endemic to the island) and a tree iguanna once inhabited the island.

Why not more "tropical" animals: the only island in the caribbean that have monkeys is PR, and its beacuse a series of experimentes the CIA led there in the 50' with japanese macaws that went feral. You cant speak of "reintroducting" a species that never was ther in first place. There is a very complex ecosystem to be cared of invasive species.

There are wild boars and deers in the island, fruit of introduction by spaniards during the "espa?a boba" period and trujillo dictatorship respectively. They are just well hidden, but if you stay long enough in the forests you may see one (a friend of mine even hunted a deer once)

Manatees and crocodiles are good examples of native big animals and are amazing to watch on their natural habitats (los haitises and jaragua national parks, respectively)

I knew about the wild boars but not the deer. That is really interesting. Do you know in what section of the country they can be found? I'm assuming the Cibao.

Also, do we have any stats on how many manatees still habitat the Dominican Republic? I know this is a critically engandered species but wasn't sure if there were any numbers floating around.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mantees were reported to be making a come back round puerto plata area, but its gone a bit quite on that front again

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are there really deer here in significant numbers or are they like the uk wallabies that live in the peak district, you would not really mention them as living wild in the uk

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The Hippo was very near extinction but is now making a big comeback!!-- Sorry could'nt resist