toyota camry 1999 LE

rochele1

Feb 8, 2011
hi folks

i have recently purchased a toyota camry 1999 LE , a mechanic installed gas for me , but the car doesn't work properly , so i'm looking for somewhere with staff to be trustable to check everything and makes car to work perfectly ?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
and what is it that doesnt work properly?

the dude you had installed the LP system? Completely with the tank in the trunk?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
hi folks

i have recently purchased a toyota camry 1999 LE , a mechanic installed gas for me , but the car doesn't work properly , so i'm looking for somewhere with staff to be trustable to check everything and makes car to work perfectly ?
If don't want to be driving to the mechanic shop for calibrations you will have to learn how to control the gas flow toward the intake manifold....
This is an easy task:
Turn on the engine and find the way to accelerate it manual or if no possible find someone to this for you, look for a gas control valve in Y form located right before the gas converter. accelerating from idling RPM to 4000 RPM move both control snobs in both directions and notice if power in your engine increase as you do this.
On 1999 Toyota Camry the acceleration cables are very visible as the Throttle Body is on top of the engine, easy to accelerate by hand just pulling the cable.

Good luck!

JJ

Last edited:

rochele1

Feb 8, 2011
If don't want to be driving to the mechanic shop for calibrations you will have to learn how to control the gas flow toward the intake manifold....
This is an easy task:
Turn on the engine and find the way to accelerate it manual or if no possible find someone to this for you, look for a gas control valve in Y form located right before the gas converter. accelerating from idling RPM to 4000 RPM move both control snobs in both directions and notice if power in your engine increase as you do this.
On 1999 Toyota Camry the acceleration cables are very visible as the Throttle Body is on top of the engine, easy to accelerate by hand just pulling the cable.

Good luck!

JJ

thanks alot for your help , i will try your solution ..

rochele1

Feb 8, 2011
and what is it that doesnt work properly?

the dude you had installed the LP system? Completely with the tank in the trunk?

they installed gas system completely but rpm is 500 , but it consumes 13 gallones per 120 miles

rochele1

Feb 8, 2011
the main problems now i have are :

it consumes 120 miles per 13 gallons gas
rpm is 500
when i drive for half an hour and stop somewhere , the car is about to turn off , so i have to smash the acceleration repeatedly

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, well I have no idea what the dude did. 9.5mpg sucks. But in the perfect installation, you have to run on fuel(gasoline) for a minute during cold starts to warm up the engine block and prevent seepage. After the thermostat has opened up then you should switch over to the LP system.

I think your installation is flawed, not even knowing what he did. You wont know but you can ask the dude who looks at it, if there is a fuel pump remote shutoff? This could be a toggle switch before the relay to the pump. This will prevent pump burnout. But in your case, I think the greatest problem you have is the system isnt tight. Your mileage sucks because there is an air/fuel error or vacuum leak in your system. He is supposed to drill a hole into the air intake plenum before the throttle body to secure the metering jets or a better way is to drill a hole into the intake manifold for better fuel distribution. I think your guy cheaped out in the install and just punched a hole on the air tube and stuck a jet in there. And the nozzle on the jet may be too big. Take a look, see if he stuck it in there with electrical tape or some BS. Check the routing of the LP fuel line, hopefully he didnt run it over the exhaust manifold(this is a 4cylinder right?).

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
From my experience of many years driving cars powered by LP if the car looks to cut off when making sudden stop is cause of:
1 - there is not a siphon installed inside the tank to control a rich mixture of liquid and air out of the tank. Check for condensation is your tank when is cold in the mornings if this happens that should be the problem.

2- there is not a solenoid valve installed in the gasoline line right before the intake manifold to control small amount of combustible inside the combustion chamber when operating the car on LP, this will cause an excess and will make engine malfuntion.

JJ

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
It's a good thing all Dominicans are mechanics...and plumbers...and electricians....and painters...etc. etc.
They never say "No, yo no se", when you ask them if they have knowledge of something.
Then they start to work on things and f**k it up completely; of course you have to pay for their "work".
Thank God it only happened to me 15 times the last 12 years.....now I am mechanic, plumber, electrician, painter, etc. etc.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Thank God it only happened to me 15 times the last 12 years.....now I am mechanic, plumber, electrician, painter, etc. etc.
And now I see you going to Ferreteria Ochoa every week for tools!

It's good when you can do things by your self, look for example past year I learned how to replace a 40 gls. gas water in my house and I had rebuilt my garage door opener.
I saved US $350. labor doing the water heater, just watched a couple youtube videos to learn who to weld the cooper pipes as never did this before.

To replace the garage door opener would cost me US $ 600. bucks calling a company, just went to Sears parts got the kit $45. and replace some of the broken gears.

My wife don't understand why I like to by tools, she complain all time.

JJ

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Acosta Auto Gas

In Santiago by the circular turn around as you enter the city from Sosua. They installed two systems for me and they worked fine. I am reluctant to mess around with an explosive gas when I dont know what I am doing. I found with my systems that they worked great out on the highway but in stop and go traffic they got about the same as gasoline. Your mileage in terrible and you have a problem. Acosta did a good job and were fine with follow up service.