Skimboarding in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,
someone told me that he saw people doing crazy skimboarding on a beach in Sosua, but he couldnt remeber which exactly.
Has anyone seen people skimboarding (which is like surfing, but you'Re waiting on a beach an throwing your board on the very shallow water and then jump on it...) on a beach in Sosua and can me explain where it is? That would be awesome!

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Ha-ha! That was my son and his friends! He was explaining it to me, but I didn't really get it. He said it's a blast. It's something to do with waiting till the wave is going back out and catching it just at the right time to ride just a couple inches of water. I could be completely mistaken though, as I said I didn't really understand what he was talking about!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is done all along the beach in Sosua. Soome of them are pretty good at it.

Bob k

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I've seen kids do it sometime, but don't see the attraction. I think (and I'm no expert but guessing) you need more shallow water and better waves to really enjoy this. Sosua beach does not have much shallow water, it gets deep quickly. So waves going back only give you a few meters to try this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've seen kids do it sometime, but don't see the attraction. I think (and I'm no expert but guessing) you need more shallow water and better waves to really enjoy this. Sosua beach does not have much shallow water, it gets deep quickly. So waves going back only give you a few meters to try this.

I've seen it,too, and you are right, they don't usually get a very long run at Sosua Beach.

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
@CoreyH: Do you know if they are skimboarding on the mainbeach or on another one somewhere else?

@Ken2 and Uzin: If you just want to do flat-water skimboarding, a beach which gets deep quickly of course isnt good, but if you want and know how to ride waves, such a beach can be very good since you dont have to ride far out to catch a wave...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
@CoreyH: Do you know if they are skimboarding on the mainbeach or on another one somewhere else?

@Ken2 and Uzin: If you just want to do flat-water skimboarding, a beach which gets deep quickly of course isnt good, but if you want and know how to ride waves, such a beach can be very good since you dont have to ride far out to catch a wave...

I've seen it at main beach

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Even better is when there is a little bit of shore break and after skimming along in the receding water from the previous wave, you launch into the next wave and actually surf it, albeit very briefly. Seen it done at some beaches in CA, NJ and HI - really cool but need to see a chiropractor when you fall, jaja. Skimmin in this area of the N coast of DR is best done at low tide on the main beach in Cabarete and there's some kids doing it but not many.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
pretty popular at N.J. beaches sometimes but is kinda fad-ish. it gets popular, then fades back, then gets popular again. have a nice board sitting in my garage, along with 4 surfboards and 2 boogie boards. guess what gets used the most??? THE BEACH CHAIRS. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.