Cost of Flights To POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachrunner

Feb 6, 2009
What has happened to airfare prices?
Check out the fares: $1600 from Newark to POP in April. That's for "low class".

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
What has happened to airfare prices?
Check out the fares: $1600 from Newark to POP in April. That's for "low class".

I said the same thing this morning. Prices for Jetblue from JFK are all over the place for April, even into May and beyond.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
In febuary continental had the price at 800.00 minus taxes n fees from newark to pop it was cheaper to fly into santo domingo.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I guess it all depends on when you purchase it. The ticket for my trip next week (Newark to Puerto Plata - round trip) only cost me $355 (including all taxes and fees). But I bought it back in January.

FARE INFORMATION

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 221.00 USD
Dominican Republic Departure Tax: 20.00
Dom. Republic Airport Authority Fee: 30.00
Dom. Republic Airport Infrastructure Fee: 32.60
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 32.60
U.S. Security Service Fee: 2.50
Per Person Total: 355.20
USD

eTicket Total: 355.20
USD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 221.00 USD

The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 134.20 USD

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I also noticed that it appears Continental is cutting back on it's non-stops flights from Newark to POP in the fall.
In years past, they have usually reduced the flight frequency from daily (during high season and the summer) to twice a week in the fall (Wed and Sat).

But now it looks like in October, they will only have one flight a week (on Saturday).

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Fly to SDQ , plenty of flights from EWR at $402 taxes included ( May onwards ) ; cheapest April flight I see comes at $536

NenaDelFlow

Feb 3, 2010

IJust over a week ago I bought a ticket Ottawa-Newark-Puerto Plata roundtrip for 490$CND with continental for the end of April.
Just hope they go back down!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is heading into EASTER- Semana Santa- school breaks. It is almost always expensive at that time!

Right after Easter prices should drop.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I used to book with Continental and would fly from Ottawa to Newark and onto POP...for under $800 but the last 2 trips, I booked with Canadian airlines because it's cheaper. I flew with Air Canada in January for under $600 and I'm going down June 10-24 for $591 with Westjet. Taxes etc already included. You should be able to find a lower price than $1600 on hotwire.com though. I use tripcentral.ca sometimes.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
We fly in on Good Friday ... I booked (in January I think it was) and paid $400 per person (Newark to POP) ... the lasttime I checked the price it was $1380 per person.

After seeing that, we booked our November flights ($402 each)

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Not all fares are going up. I just booked round trip Calgary, Alberta to POP for $ 623 (taxes incl.), usually it runs around $900.

janciebee

Apr 1, 2011
appreciate all of you for your advice. We bring a team of 15 from Seattle to POP (or Santo Dom) each winter. Last year we used Delta but they only flew in and out on Saturday. Any other good options for next January?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It is heading into EASTER- Semana Santa- school breaks. It is almost always expensive at that time!

Right after Easter prices should drop.

dingdingdingdingding.................. we have a winner!
Happens every year for about a 20 day period before and after Easter.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
hi for those interested i have found airfare from New York toPOP in April for US$ 467..see below :
1 traveler roundtrip: New York City, NY (JFK) to Puerto Plata, DR, DO (POP)
Edit Search

Departing Flight #811
o JFK
o POP
4/20 8:29AM
4/20 12:11PM
Returning Flight #812
o POP
o JFK
5/4 12:01PM
5/4 3:42PM

Airfare
* Fare:
$333.00 x 1 = $333.00
* Taxes & Fees
$134.20
* Total:
$467.20

JetBlue | Airline Tickets, Flights, and Airfare

greetings
Coralia

Skindvr4

Nov 23, 2010
That is a good fare, but as most people have vacations from work scheduled from a Saturday to the following weekend, a Wednesday to Wednesday flight just isn't practical. American Airlines is flying from Boston to POP, weekend to weekend, for around $700 USD, round trip. That Is for OCTOBER. A vacation in May, weekend to weekend runs anywhere from $850 to $1000 USD. It seems as though Jet Blue has cut most of their flights to POP. That same week in May, but to Santiago, on Jet Blue, is $584 USD. If you add in round trip taxi fare from Santiago to Sosua, say around $200 usd, your STILL looking at close to $800 dollars! I can fly nonstop on Jet Blue into Santo Domingo, for $487.00. I hope more service returns to Puerto Plata. It has just become much too expensive for me to vacation on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You can always take the bus, Cabrebe(sp) or Metro form Santiago For about $10.00USD and get to your resort or condo at about the same time.

Bizguyeh

Dec 4, 2010
For budget minded travellers who have some time on their hands and also want to see the countryside, then flying into Santiago or even Santo Domingo could save on your flight costs to get to the north coast. oriole100 is pretty close on the fare... its 330 pesos (about $9) from Santo Domingo to Sosua with either Caribe Tours or the Metro Autobus and I would imagine a bit less from Santiago. Caribe Tours has buses leaving every hour in both directions for the Sosua / Santo Domingo run with a stop in Santigo. Metro, I believe has about 3 or 4 trips per day. A full trip between Sosua and Santo Domingo is roughly four hours, a bit more with Caribe Tours as they have an extra stop or two. The buses are very comfortable and air conditioned (usually too cold). Schedule info is available on their web sites...
Caribe Tours: Caribe Tours | Portada
Metro Bus: Metro Servicios Turisticos
The bus companies are one of the few organizations that I have encountered in the DR where they stick to their posted schedules. Get to the bus station early as they will pretty much leave on time.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
BUT take into account - schedules - a flight coming in too late in the day and the buses are not an option, then add the cost of a night in a hotel on one or both ends of your trip. Remember that the flight out has to be late enough in the day to get to Santo Domingo or Santiago.

Take into account if you fly into SD for example to save some money - you also lose a lot of vacation time in travel. Arriving at SD airport - getting to Caribe or Metro bus terminal- catching the bus and then traveling to Sosua adds close to 6 hours to your travel time. Then remember it is the same amount of time going back.

If you are flying into Santiago - taxi to the Caribe or Metro and then the bus to Sosua - adds about 2 1/2 hours each way of additional travel time.

What is that worth to you? For me it is not worth 200 in savings, that will be cut down by taxi, bus, food and drink costs. And it will be cut significantly if you need to stay overnight in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.