at last English books in PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean

Mar 29, 2011
I had almost given up on seeing a real English bookstore. But stumbled upon one when I attended the meeting on tourism. It is in the Meeting Place in Puerto Plata. Surprisingly, I even found books on DR. Staffed by volunteers who seem to know a lot about books. I hear there is a big book sale this week starting Wednesday. But the books are cheap enough even without a sale. Only problem is that the section on computers could be beefed up. Could not find anything that tells me how to adjust at going from a PC to an Apple (my girlfriend is an apple girl so since she is the "apple of my eye" I am in the process of converting).

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Good to see a plug for the Meeting Place as they are doing a lot of good things there. And, yes, it is perhaps the only place in Puerto Plata where one could find a wide enough selection of reading in English at reasonable prices for almost anyone to find something to interest them.

But I wouldn't want Sean to mislead anyone by his comment (perhaps humorously intended?) about "beefing up the computer section". This is not a place to which you would journey to find a specific title, or even a book on a specific topic, unless you got lucky, as it is not really a bookstore but a miscellaneous collection of books donated for charity.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
If you are willing to travel to Sosua, there is The Book Nook, located in Beach Way Plaza (behind La Roca restaurant). It's mainly English language, mainly fiction, second-hand books and there is a credit system for returned books. It's a place to browse, not to expect to find a specific title.

Last edited:

sean

Mar 29, 2011
address for Puerto Plata Bookstore

The address is The Meeting Place, calle 60 Juan Bosch, Puerto Plata. That is two blocks between Central Park (Beller side) and the Melacon. By the way, it is more that a charity book shop. They specialize in Dominican books -- some ordered new, others they research book markets so that they can be sold at an affordable price. Paperbacks may be used but most are in like-new condition. Clearly, someone there likes books. I found copies of the Mario LLosa Feast of Goat about the DR and Trujillo there. Am now reading it -- certainly lets the Trujillo period come alive. Oh, yes, last week when I was in there I heard that they are now on off-season hours, 2 to 5:30 Monday to Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.