Ex military looking for work in DR.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
I will be moving to the AltaGracia region with my wife in September. I am releasing from the Canadian Army as a Combat Engineer Sgt. Does anyone know of any work for such a skill set. I've been coming here for 17 years and am now ready to make a move. I have zero expectations to find work, but if something were to come up i.e. managing a security company that provides services to the resorts in the area. Anyway, if anyone has any advice or contacts that would be great.

Feel free to PM.

Cheers

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I will be moving to the AltaGracia region with my wife in September. I am releasing from the Canadian Army as a Combat Engineer Sgt. Does anyone know of any work for such a skill set. I've been coming here for 17 years and am now ready to make a move. I have zero expectations to find work, but if something were to come up i.e. managing a security company that provides services to the resorts in the area. Anyway, if anyone has any advice or contacts that would be great.

Feel free to PM.

Cheers

There are a number of Canadian mining companies in the DR that may have uses of your unique talents. For those that don't know: Combat Engineers have the following primary duties:
• Construct and maintain roads, airfields, heliports, bridges, causeways, rafts, permanent and temporary buildings;
• Construct field defences and obstacles;
• Provide drinking water by testing, purifying and filtering local supplies and by constructing local distribution systems;
• Detect and dispose of mines, booby traps and bulk explosives;
• Deny mobility to the enemy on the battlefield by demolishing roads and bridges, and laying minefields and booby traps;
• Maintain and operate engineering equipment, including weapons, vehicles, heavy equipment and supplies;
• Provide engineer communications on the battlefield; and
• When necessary, fight as infantry (includes use of personal weapons, reconnaissance and section-level tactics).

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the reply bro. I actually had not thought of mining companies. But you nailed the primary role of a Sapper. Look like you got it straight from the recruiting pam lol. I have multiple tours, most recently Afghanistan, where I have acquired even more skills. I have been thinking of even offering private security/driver services...who knows, I'll have to see when I get down.

Once again, thanks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the reply bro. I actually had not thought of mining companies. But you nailed the primary role of a Sapper. Look like you got it straight from the recruiting pam lol. I have multiple tours, most recently Afghanistan, where I have acquired even more skills. I have been thinking of even offering private security/driver services...who knows, I'll have to see when I get down.

Once again, thanks.

I did cut and paste from the recruiting page but my Grandfather was a field engineer - Shilo and Chilliwack, my father RCHA, my uncle PPCLI, my brother navy and I'm retiring this year from the Air-force as a Warrant Officer. I've got lots of respect for you ground-pounders.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Who the @#%^ did you pi$$ off?? Altagracia!!! Are you kidding me? Did they give you the boobie prize for your great service?>?? Man oh man, that place is a laughing stock..

Please reconsider that move.

See the Falconbridge people about security. They just restarted operations and Barick is also right there ....Those are two monster, corporations.

And please believe me when I say Anyplace is better than Villa Altagracia!!

HB.

Jan 5, 2006
Please clarify the location that you're moving to. Altagracia province (Higuey) or Villa Altagracia (south of Bonao).

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
Nah...didnt p*ss off anyone dude...just doing my thing. Dont need advice on where to go, just on the question I asked.

Cheers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Aw man, I am so sorry. There is so much more than V.A. in this place and they offer you a totally wonderful living scenario. I refer to Bonao and Cotui...great places and which provide a lot more.

OK V.A. is closer to Santo Domingo...

Oh well...good luck...

HB