Drive time from Montecristi to las terrenas

bobbyzny

Jun 10, 2004
I will be going to DR in the summer and i am planning in staying in monte cristi for 4 days then possibly driving to las terrenas for 3 days can some one tell me how long a drive in hours and km this leg of the trip will be thanks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
pack lunch

lt to Puerto Plata is 5 hours.. Do not know from MC to PP... but I think that you may have to go to Santiago (2 hrs from MC) then xx? to PP

Alternately, take the bus from MC to SD (four hours) have a nice lunch.. then another bus to LT (three hours)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably the easiest would be Montecristi to Santiago, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then down the highway to San Francisco de Macoris, then east to Nagua and then Sanchez and then Samana. I have done it in three hours, give yourself 4 1/2 hours so you can eat someplace along the way.

The signs are there but not that well placed. As time grows near you might want to check back in and ask for the best directions...only place you can get confused is SFM, but if you go all the way to the divided avenue and turn right, you can't get lost...

HB

bobbyzny

Jun 10, 2004
i was thinking of going to puerto plata /cabarete/rio san juan /nagua/ sanchez/ las terrenas route.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Probably the easiest would be Montecristi to Santiago, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then down the highway to San Francisco de Macoris, then east to Nagua and then Sanchez and then Samana. I have done it in three hours, give yourself 4 1/2 hours so you can eat someplace along the way.

The signs are there but not that well placed. As time grows near you might want to check back in and ask for the best directions...only place you can get confused is SFM, but if you go all the way to the divided avenue and turn right, you can't get lost...

HB

You have done the whole route in 4.5? I thought it was about that from Las T to PP... but not one that I have driven.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nooo, Santiago to Saman?/Las Terrenas.

I don't think POP to LT would be a good thing, bad roads and worser drivers...(Yeah, I know grammar!)

HB

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Actually the road from Puerto Plata to Nagua is much better now. The pot hole areas have been improved. This route is direct and you don't have the confusion of going thru San Francisco. If you miss a turn on the San Fran road you are really off. I know I did.
Going the PP/Cabarete/Nagua/ route to LT should take 6-7 hours depending on who's driving. Don't go at night! The road is not well lit.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You don't need to go to Santiago for this trip.....MC to Navarette, then to PP, then go east to LT.....The last time I drove to MC the roads were ok, not as good as Cabarete to Nagua but still ok....look to take about 6-8 hours,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The problem as I see it, with the MC->POP->Nagua option is that it is longer, since the turn left to POP at Navarrete is way out of the way....instead of going straight forward.

You might argue that going down the highway to get to San Francisco de Macoris is also out of the highway and I'd have to agree, but the offsetting factor is the road conditions. You can zoom, literally, down to the turnoff for SFM and then again zoom to SFM....they are good roads in pretty fair contiditions with less traffic that the highway to POP...

Just a thought.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My son on the otherhand, would take the POP route, saying that the road is prettier, which I suppose is true.
My counter argument is that you have to go through POP, Sos?a, Cabarete, Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan and Cabrera in order to get to Nagua! The other route offer four lane roads all the way to the SFM turnoff and the only cities you actually go through are Santiago, SFM and Nagua...

I don't know...do it and report back..

HB

HB

Have done both routes for different reasons the route that Hillbilly reccomends saves lots of time.