Anyone with fishtank obsession?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Hi folks!
Since i moved to DR i cant stop thinking of getting fishtank... I had many before, since i was 12, its my greatest obsession and hobby.
So yesterday, after all day research i bought aquarium (10g), external canister filter and nice clip-on 6500k lamp for plant growth. Ill make CO2 system too once i get the plants. Im planning to make Amano style planted nano-aquarium with some killi fish (bought eggs too), if i will be lucky enough to hatch some. In case i dont succeed, anyone knows where i can buy good quality fish?? neons and other tetras, acantaftalmuses, nice betta fish with large tails and bright colors (not the wacky ones i saw in local fishtanks...) or something like that?
Or it is easier to buy marine inhabitants?

What about water quality? Do you prepare it somehow before pouring into fishtank (like boil or leave in a bucket for few days so all bad stuff evaporates/goes down)?
In Europe i just used tap water, without any preparations, but it seemed way clearer and cleaner then DR water from pipe...

If no one with same interest, then never mind, dont hurt my sacred feeling towards aquariums.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I had beta ( fighting) fish but got bored with them as they just kept killing each other. Tap water was good. You can get them free if you buy someone a beer in a local colmado, everyone has them, for while anyway. Our stream in La Caleta has loads, my distant sister fringe them for us to give them away.
Are fish that interesting? Tanks here are stupid expensive.
Must admit once I'd fed them a few times and renewed the dead ones each day for a while they started to **** me off. Beta fish are angry little fovkers.

Cat fish are s big thing here, people keep them out of water for a day or 2 at a time as a sign of stupidity, oops sorry, better fish.

Fish are boring, get a catdogmuppet, great friends, see my thread below!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I suggest you join one of the online aquarium forums for advice. Unless it was a typo you won't be able to do much with a 10g (10 gallon?) tank. A ten gallon tank is no more than a large fish bowl. CO2 injection or salt water fish in a 10 gallon tank is wishful thinking.

Hi folks!
Since i moved to DR i cant stop thinking of getting fishtank... I had many before, since i was 12, its my greatest obsession and hobby.
So yesterday, after all day research i bought aquarium (10g), external canister filter and nice clip-on 6500k lamp for plant growth. Ill make CO2 system too once i get the plants. Im planning to make Amano style planted nano-aquarium with some killi fish (bought eggs too), if i will be lucky enough to hatch some. In case i dont succeed, anyone knows where i can buy good quality fish?? neons and other tetras, acantaftalmuses, nice betta fish with large tails and bright colors (not the wacky ones i saw in local fishtanks...) or something like that?
Or it is easier to buy marine inhabitants?

What about water quality? Do you prepare it somehow before pouring into fishtank (like boil or leave in a bucket for few days so all bad stuff evaporates/goes down)?
In Europe i just used tap water, without any preparations, but it seemed way clearer and cleaner then DR water from pipe...

If no one with same interest, then never mind, dont hurt my sacred feeling towards aquariums.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a very well stocked aquarium/pet store in Villa Olga in Santiago: Acuario Robert :)cheeky:), Benito Juarez #56, 809-226-1500.

BTW, 10g is way to small to control the chemicals in the water, but I suspect you know that.

Nov 25, 2008
10 gl. doesn't seam to me an obsession, I myself had always fish tanks, 10, 25, 100 and now 500 gl tinaco used for my koi's,
Acuario Robert in Santiago is your only bet for variety of fishes

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
i kept much larger tanks before i moved to DR, decided to make nano fishtank this time, big ones are hard to move if u gotta move.
My tanks:
3c82f892ff78.jpg

c61c335b08d9.jpg

and 10g one
8ed2815f0d0e.jpg

Reactions: cobraboy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i kept much larger tanks before i moved to DR, decided to make nano fishtank this time, big ones are hard to move if u gotta move.

Wow that third pic is really pretty. Did you do CO2 injection with the yeast and soda bottle method?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Wow that third pic is really pretty. Did you do CO2 injection with the yeast and soda bottle method?

No i didnt add CO2 in that tank (had many fish in that small tank), but im going to do with my new one.

About betta fish fighting.. hmmm they have to be kept separate from each other! one betta per aquarium........

thanks cobraboy for info!