US Visa for Dominican Spouse

D

Don

I am an American currently living in the Dominican Republic. I am engaged to a Dominican lady. If we marry here, what is the usual waiting time to obtain a Visa to go to the states?

E

ECH, M.D.

I know of several who have taken 2 years...some longer. Advise you to talk to one of the Vice Counsels at the American Consulate. Some times, getting a visa and then marrying in the USA is better. You need more expert advice than I can give. CHEERS

M

M

Do not marry in the DR if your spouse intends to immigrate to the US. File the Fiancee Visa (Form I-129) and when your future spouse arrives in the US, you'll have 90 days to get married. Fiancee Visas are processed MUCH faster than any family-based visa because the are considered nonimmigrant visas since they expire within 90 days. After that time, you'll have to file an immigrant visa, but at least you'll be with your spouse.

K

Kristy

Message for M

Hi, I am in a similar situation although, am not US citizen, am British, but am waiting for US Green Card which should have within 4/5 months, to which we were then planning to get married in DR, and after the marriage my parents then said I could sponsor him to get a US green card!!!!! although yes they did say it would take some time!! Could you please e/mail me... If you dont mind to advise.....

Many thanks
Kristy

D

Derrick

If you get married there, expect a wait of 10 months to almost 2 years... If you file for a Fiance Visa (I-129F) it could be completed in 3-8 months depending on what state you live in. Here are a couple of places to get info:
newsgroup - alt.visa.us.marriage-based
also there is good web site at:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/index.html

Best of luck...Derrick(US) & Raquel(my Dominicana Fiance, currently waiting on a fiance visa)
You can see pics of us at the link below

M

M

Kristy

Kristy,

Your questions are pretty complex and I'm really not sure what would be the best course of action for your particular situation. Since you are not an American citizen, but rather are awaiting permanent residency (the green card), you may not be able to file the Fiancee Visa (I-129) at all. If I recall correctly, only citizens or naturalized residents can sponsor a Fiancee. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you start the process for your fiancee to immigrate to the UK? It will be much easier (and possibly faster) to go from the UK to the US at a later date.