Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Post interesting article on prostitution

Long time no post, so I'm not sure if prostitution is still the hot-button topic it once was.

For those who are interested, CNN.com has a section on the fight against human trafficking, and I just read an interesting article on the vastly different results of two different approaches to the question of prostitution in two very similar countries, Sweden and Denmark.

It's an interesting read: The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery - CNN.com Blogs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for brining this article to our attention. I read it yesterday. There is a different from voluntarily chosing prostitution as a "profession" and being force to enter this profession in order to survive, especially in poor countries like DR, Brazil, and Thailand. I also find it disgusting that so many people travel to these countries in order to exploit these less fortunate indiviudals knowing of their status and then brag of thier "conquests." Although I reluctantly accept a person's right to chose this profession, I have deep concerns over their decisions. Most of these people are just entering a world of self-destruction for temporary gains. It also amazes me that most of the people in this trade will just use the money to buy material things; rather, then invest the money to get out of the "life."

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default prostitution

Quote Originally Posted by fdttwin View Post
    Thanks for brining this article to our attention. I read it yesterday. There is a different from voluntarily chosing prostitution as a "profession" and being force to enter this profession in order to survive, especially in poor countries like DR, Brazil, and Thailand. I also find it disgusting that so many people travel to these countries in order to exploit these less fortunate indiviudals knowing of their status and then brag of thier "conquests." Although I reluctantly accept a person's right to chose this profession, I have deep concerns over their decisions. Most of these people are just entering a world of self-destruction for temporary gains. It also amazes me that most of the people in this trade will just use the money to buy material things; rather, then invest the money to get out of the "life."
    I don't know about Thailand or Brazil, but in the DR - i will venture as far as to say that no one is forced into prostitution.

Many women do it because they find it easier than doing something else that may require more skill or effort. Many do not want to leave "the life". They happen to prefer the freedom if you will.

You assume much about self-destruction and temporary gains. I know quite a few women who have worked in "the life", saved their money and used the funds to start businesses, acquire real property, and acquire education for themselves or family. They use their money as they see fit - as is their choice as individuals. Some by material things - as we all do with our money and some invest.

There is very little exploitation going on in the prostitution scene in the DR. Most certainly it is not the women who are being exploited.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw a documentary about the prostitution scandal that brought down the governor of NY a few years back. The women were making $1000-$2500 an hour and ten times that for 24 hours. It's only exploitation when women are underpaid...

Supposedly Churchill once asked a woman in a bar if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. Without giving it much thought, the woman said yes. Then he asked if she would sleep with him for five pounds.

"What kind of woman do you think I am?," she asked.

"That was established with my first offer. Now we are just negotiating..."

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdolo View Post
    I don't know about Thailand or Brazil, but in the DR - i will venture as far as to say that no one is forced into prostitution.

Many women do it because they find it easier than doing something else that may require more skill or effort. Many do not want to leave "the life". They happen to prefer the freedom if you will.

You assume much about self-destruction and temporary gains. I know quite a few women who have worked in "the life", saved their money and used the funds to start businesses, acquire real property, and acquire education for themselves or family. They use their money as they see fit - as is their choice as individuals. Some by material things - as we all do with our money and some invest.

There is very little exploitation going on in the prostitution scene in the DR. Most certainly it is not the women who are being exploited.
    I would take that assessment a step further and offer that on any given day in the Dominican Republic and especially on weekends and holidays most of the Women who accept some form of payment in return for some level of sexual intimacy do not fit into the description of "full time sex worker". I will also submit that in direct contrast to the post which you responded to the vast majority of the guys paying Women for sex there are Dominican Men so that whole routine about taking advantage of economically repressed 3rd World Women is out of touch with reality where P4P in the D.R. is concerned. Comparing Far East Asia and Eastern Europe (where abductions and indentured servitude are synonymous with sex trade) with the Caribbean and Latin America is like comparing apples and dandelions.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdolo View Post
    i don't know about thailand or brazil, but in the dr - i will venture as far as to say that no one is forced into prostitution.
    many women do it because they find it easier than doing something else that may require more skill or effort.many do not want to leave "the life". They happen to prefer the freedom if you will.
    There is very little exploitation going on in the prostitution scene in the dr. Most certainly it is not the women who are being exploited.
    lol!lol!lol!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw?
    It's been attributed to several people. Most recently Donald Trump. I know the story goes back quite a ways.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fdttwin View Post
    I would think this is a clear indicator that many of these people you see doing this prefer this lifestyle over something else. If you had to go into the bowels of hell to extract gold bullion to feed your family and there was nothing else to do you would do so only until you could ensure something else for yourself to feed your family. The pejorative part being the bowels of hell and the beneficial part being gold bullion.

Who you meet are people who plead they hate the life they live while enjoying the spoils of their labor. So while the lifestyle is one of "downtrodden and shame" they dont really care because the money is good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    I would think this is a clear indicator that many of these people you see doing this prefer this lifestyle over something else. If you had to go into the bowels of hell to extract gold bullion to feed your family and there was nothing else to do you would do so only until you could ensure something else for yourself to feed your family. The pejorative part being the bowels of hell and the beneficial part being gold bullion.

Who you meet are people who plead they hate the life they live while enjoying the spoils of their labor. So while the lifestyle is one of "downtrodden and shame" they dont really care because the money is good.
    Same with drug deralers, but it doesn't make their profession any more beneficial to society.

I just wish Mom CB would have been more understanding when I tried the "Everybody's doing it, Mom, so it's OK" rationale with her. She was stubborn that way...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast