Departure tax for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

riu-man

Apr 2, 2011
Do children have to pay the tourist card fee of $10 and the departure tax of $20?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ithink everybody pays...perhaps not babes in arms, but kids for sure...

HB

Jan 17, 2009
Where are you coming from? Flying a commercial airline? Some airlines have the departure tax included in your ticket. Everyone pays, whether in the ticket total price or here before leaving.

riu-man

Apr 2, 2011
I thought as much. We are a party of 9, with 4 children from age 18 months to 16 coming from Sweden & UK. The taxes alone will cost a fortune!

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Do children have to pay the tourist card fee of $10 and the departure tax of $20?

Some airlines will have the departure tax included. Check with your airline. Charter flights do not include the departure tax.

Everyone pays a $10 tourist card, even babies in arm. Nevertheless, not everyone pays the departure tax. If your child does not occupy their own seat on the plane, they are not required to pay departure tax.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Some airlines will have the departure tax included. Check with your airline. Charter flights do not include the departure tax.

Everyone pays a $10 tourist card, even babies in arm. Nevertheless, not everyone pays the departure tax. If your child does not occupy their own seat on the plane, they are not required to pay departure tax.

This is correct the departure tax is added to each ticket not each person as the entrance visa is. So if not included in your ticket puchase (many airlines inlcude it as another tax) then you pay for it for each ticket you hold.

Bob K

Dec 21, 2008
why come here, there are other places that are warm. the taxes alone could probably pay your vacation somewhere else and this way, your money does not end up in the pockets of all the corrupt officials.

Good work on encouraging tourism in the DR...:speechles

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
why come here, there are other places that are warm. the taxes alone could probably pay your vacation somewhere else and this way, your money does not end up in the pockets of all the corrupt officials.

As this thread concerns only the departure tax, why not check the facts. Current carribean departure taxes are:
?Antigua and Barbuda: $20
?Aruba: $36.50
?Bahamas: $15
?Barbados: $27.50
?Belize: $39
?Bonaire: $32
?Cayman Islands: $20
?Bermuda: $29
?Dominica: $20
?Dominican Republic: $20
?Grenada: $13
?Haiti: $30
?Jamaica: $20
?St. Kitts and Nevis: $20
?St. Lucia: $26
?St. Maarten: $30
?St. Vincent and the Grenadines: $15
?Trinidad and Tobago: $17
The DR is in the ballpark.

riu-man

Apr 2, 2011
Having been to the DR twice before, and also to Antigua, St. Lucia, Jamaica and Grenada I'm aware that there are taxes to be paid, I just couldn't remember if children paid, hence the original question. I just wanted to budget for it in the overall cost. I'm coming from Sweden but booked with Thomson in the UK to avoid an extra 5% VAT on the overall cost, (our VAT rate is 25%, and income tax between 30-55% if you think you are badly off) and with the good exchange rate it's very competive right now, compared to a few years ago. I'm very much looking forward to returning to the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.