Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is it with this country and commission payments?

Simple question really. I first noticed the whole commission payment thing after a couple of years here. I know that real estate agents earn commission, insurance agents etc, but every time my husband introduced a plumber or an electrician to an expat friend of mine, said plumber or electrician would be at the gate afterwards and money would change hands. We had some ironwork carried out at our house and it came for the final payment which I gave to the man who had done the work. He then counted out a couple of thousand pesos in front of me and gave it back to my husband. When I asked what he was doing, he said it was commission for my husband as he had given him the job! My husband then gave me half.

I originally thought it was just tradesmen like plumbers, mechanics etc, and also the only people who could earn commission were Dominicans. Then after I had been here a few years every time I recommended someone to an expat, usually a lawyer or a doctor, then afterwards they would come and give me 100 dollars or whatever. I tried to explain to them that I was recommending my friends as I knew they were good at their job, but no difference. I was paid my commission, which I then returned to my expat friends.

Stupidly, I thought that when another expat said ‘Go and see so and so as they are good, and tell them xyz sent you’ it was because I would get a better service or a cheaper price. No. It is so xyz will get their commission. In fact I am sure the Dominican commission system is now totally entrenched in the longer term expat community here. Why even our very own Mr Guzman is doing it when offering the Dominican constitution in English:

"Identify yourself as coming from DR1 so I can give Dolores and Robert their due"

So any thoughts as to where this system came from, and how many expats here participate in it?

Matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i must be doing something wrong because i have never received any commision nor have i given one.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another example of how Dominicans see it as a right to cream a little (or a lot) off the top without lifting a finger.

Some call it commission, others call it corruption!

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

My point was really, firstly where did it start and come from. And secondly, if I was offered commission as an expat, after had lived here for a while, how many other expats take it? I just want to know, as I am sure many posters do, if an expat or a Dominican says go and use Mr x for your pool service, or to fix your inverter, then who is doing it for commission? I am sure I cannot be the only one on this board who has been offered commission by lawyers and doctors?? The silence is deafening.

mat

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In the DR for any little assistance or service to someone in general people expect a tip or commission in return nothing is done without expectation being compensated for the most part.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Its just the way things roll in the DR I have plenty of life experience examples to support this point of view.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all commissions, dues etc are paid in $$$, in DR1's case anyway

In the DR it's much more informal than in a lot of other places, but commissions, leads, kickbacks for $$$, whatever you call it are very common throughout the world, not just in the DR

When I recommend a product or service, it's either because...

1) They advertise on DR1 and I support them, like they support us.
    2) I know the service or product provider, so hopefully whoever I send will get treated well.
    I have never taken money based on a recommendation to a friend.

#2 is not about money, it's about building relationships and in some cases the possibility of leveraging that at a later date. What comes around goes around This angle is very much missing in the DR, it's primarily about money, regardless of the quality of the product or service being recommended.

I do a lot of free work for businesses and people, always have, always will.
    It's a great way to get in the door, build relationships and it normally pays off in some way or another in the future. That mentality or way to build business is extremely rare here

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Pack your bags and leave.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Pack your bags and leave.
    They say a fast nickel is better than a slow dime which is probably why customer service and quality arent that good generally speaking.

I would only recommend people who offer a business or product that I am satisfied with.
    Last edited by RacerX; 04-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    They say a fast nickel is better than a slow dime. I would only recommend people who offer a business or product that I am satisfied with.
    \

Good point I agree with that!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast