Can Lawyer In D.R. Renew My Residency For Me Without Me Going Back To The D.R.?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
Question # 1

If I have been a permanent resident for two years and am living outside of the D.R., can I have a lawyer renew the residency for me for another two years without me going back to the D.R. to take part in the renewal process or sign anything? Please answer if you are sure of your answer.

Questions # 2

After I receive my first permanent residency card, is it possible to sign a form with a date on it two years into the future that my lawyer can use when the time comes to get me a renewed permanent residency? Please answer if you are sure of your answer.

Questions # 3

When I renew permanent residency do I get a new card or do I keep the old one and just sign some form which renews the card I already have? Or, do I get a new permanent residency card?
Please answer if you are sure of your answer.

Thanks for the help guys, Spartacus :rambo:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They take your old residency card when you apply for renewal.

They may want you to have a new picture taken, which as far as I know can only be done in the capital. That is what I had to do on my last renewal.

One year they questioned me in the office in Santo Dominigo as to where I was living, before they would approve my renewal. I had left the country on one passport and returned on a new renewed passport, thus they thought I had been out of the country for an extended period of time.

SantiagoDR

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
One year they questioned me in the office in Santo Dominigo as to where I was living, before they would approve my renewal. I had left the country on one passport and returned on a new renewed passport, thus they thought I had been out of the country for an extended period of time.

So do you think it would be a good idea for someone who has permanent residency in the D.R. and is going to be away for two years, not to mix their passport with their D.R residency when leaving the D.R. and when entering? Because doing so may avoid this kind of questioning.....? What is your opinion? It may be best to pay for the $10 temporary VISA when entering the D.R. and not putting your D.R. address on customs and immigration forms when flying in and out if you have permanent residency in the D.R. but live most of your time out of the country....

Spartacus