Cabarete vs. Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2011
Hi all,

Is Sosua a better place to live than Cabarete? or is it the other way around?

I spent some days in Cabarete, and although it seems very safe, what is up with all the dogs and kids on the beach?

There are so many stray dogs on the beach, and so many nasty kids..

How is Sosua? Please tell me it is better..

I came to Cabarete to stay for a month or more but now I am having second thoughts..

also, what is a good place to rent in Cabarete long term if I do decide to stay? What about Sosua?

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If I personally had to choose between the two, I would prefer to live in Cabarete. I feel there are more restaurant and nightlife options, the beach is much larger and I'm a surfer.

When I made my move from Santo Domingo last year, it was between Cabarete and Bavaro. In the end, Bavaro won out.

Jan 17, 2009
"so many nasty kids"??

I live in Cabarete and sorry, we seem to have a different definition for nasty. It's pretty harsh to call a child nasty.

Beach dogs are the most well behaved dogs I've seen. And they're vaccinated!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it doesnt really matter as they are so close together - never seen what you describe though, kids and dogs seem polite

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To me, Sosua is a nice little TOWN. Cabarete on the other hand is just a long stretch of a poluted higway, where they have build hotels and restaurants on both sides of the road.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i personally like sosua a lot more. it's closer to the bigger cities like puerto plata and santiago plus sosua is a bigger town than cabarete. i think both places have nice restaurants but it seems like sosua is a tad bit cheaper. if with a chick i prefer to go to cabarete but if i'm looking for one sosua is defitnately the place to be. sosua also has more character. either way u cant go wrong with sosua or cabarete.
I have to agree. They both have a certain charm. Cabarete's beach restaurants & bars in the evening are great. As for the beach, Sosua wins by far. We have 3 of the nicest. UNLESS you're a surfer then Cabarete is the place for you. Spend a year in each place then decide.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I'm usually in Sosua for the winter months but this year it was only two weeks, I just got back. Before I left for home last May I was really getting tired of all the young kids hanging around, not that I've got any particular beef with the kids. In fact I regularly use them to clean my shoes ;-) There was just so many and I did see a few of them getting up to no good. This year there seemed to be just the regular number around. Also last year the garbage seemed to litter every nook and cranny. Wow... what a difference this year. The new mayor has worked wonders in my opinion. The streets are clean there's a couple of new restuarants and a new Ferreteria on the main road. And would you believe the moto concho guys were actually waiting at the traffic light by the supermercado. All in all for me the town had a much safer, cleaner feel to it, long may it continue. Plus the weather was fantastic, beautiful hot, sunny days. I agree with Eddy if you're into wind sports Caberete probably has the edge., but for me it's the small town feel of Sosua that wins out.
Mack.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua, without a doubt.

Cabarete is nothing more than a very dusty four block long group of strip stores and high priced restaurants. You cannot even walk along comfortably as the sidewalks are narrow and terrible with the traffic wizzing by right next to you. It does have good surf at Encuentro but I can drive it in ten minutes. Sosua on the other hand is a pretty little town with winding streets and trees. Sosua's beach is also more attractive to me because it has trees. You do not have to sit and broil in the sun. For living it is Sosua hands down and I can always visit Cabarete as its only a short drive.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The way I look at it Sosua is better during the day. At night cabarete is nicer. If the dogs are a problem then that is your problem, they never bother anyone. If the kids are rude or try it on( again I've never witnessed a kid get cocky with me) then just kick it and shout, he'll sod off.
Some of the kids in Sosua need a good thrashing or they are gunna end up the future crims of the town, I've put a couple in their place in Sosua, never cabarete.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I agree with the last two posts but why don't they have an A & W?

I want a teen burger with a root beer?

i personally like sosua a lot more. it's closer to the bigger cities like puerto plata and santiago plus sosua is a bigger town than cabarete. i think both places have nice restaurants but it seems like sosua is a tad bit cheaper. if with a chick i prefer to go to cabarete but if i'm looking for one sosua is defitnately the place to be. sosua also has more character. either way u cant go wrong with sosua or cabarete.

I agree with the above post but they are both so close it really doesnt matter. You are really only 10-15 mins apart by car or publico. You can find the one you prefer and enjoy both.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi all,

Is Sosua a better place to live than Cabarete? or is it the other way around?

I spent some days in Cabarete, and although it seems very safe, what is up with all the dogs and kids on the beach?

There are so many stray dogs on the beach, and so many nasty kids..

How is Sosua? Please tell me it is better..

I came to Cabarete to stay for a month or more but now I am having second thoughts..

also, what is a good place to rent in Cabarete long term if I do decide to stay? What about Sosua?

Depends if u like sports or whores. Can not understand that people are talking about sidewalks and dusty streets. What the **** r u doing on the streets? Maybe to old to enjoy the Ocean.

Cabarete vs Sosua. K.O. Cabarete

Depends if u like sports or whores. Can not understand that people are talking about sidewalks and dusty streets. What the **** r u doing on the streets? Maybe to old to enjoy the Ocean.

Cabarete vs Sosua. K.O. Cabarete

Sports definately Caberette Whores? can be had in either location but just like everything else in Caberette it is more expensive. You cant walk on the beach your whole life either and the traffic in Caberette sucks especially in the day time. I like both towns but to live I would have to lean with Sosua and visit Caberette.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sports definately Caberette Whores? can be had in either location but just like everything else in Caberette it is more expensive. You cant walk on the beach your whole life either and the traffic in Caberette sucks especially in the day time. I like both towns but to live I would have to lean with Sosua and visit Caberette.

Cabarete Whores ? YES sir. But they are mostly concentrated in 1 or 2 bars in Canarete. Actually, Sosua hookers are prettier. ;)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Maybe you are right about the street daytime. I dont spend my time there. I you know where to go and WHEN (happy hours) then Cabarete can be very cheap Before there were no happy hours in Sosua, now I know they have that also.

Rosss

Jan 22, 2007
I have to agree. They both have a certain charm. Cabarete's beach restaurants & bars in the evening are great. As for the beach, Sosua wins by far. We have 3 of the nicest. UNLESS you're a surfer then Cabarete is the place for you. Spend a year in each place then decide.

After spending six months in each town I have to agree with Eddy.Both places have their own charms but I prefer Sosua. I like the feel of a small town with its' many attractions and close proximity to the beaches.Things seem to be a bit less expensive also.I too like what the new mayor has done in the pass year;better roads,sidewalks and lighting. The new park will add a great option for touriest also.

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
Depends what you want really.

Cabarete is probably a little bit safer but the system of getting you to pay tourist price is very well developed. Just look at the taxi cartell in Cabarete. The price is non-negotiable and its waaaay to high. On top of that the taxi drivers are being obnoxious because you tried to get the price down.

Apart from that Cabarete has great restaurants (apart from being a bit pricy then). Even though the restaurant at the beach thing can get you bored. Feels safe to walk around. Generally nice feeling there. If you like clubs with tourist music you can probably find a few....but again....if you want to take a taxi to some other place expect to get ripped off....or learn how to use the local carritos...but then again...what do you do if it is late??

The beach in Cabarate is large and nice but unfortunately it has too much waves for bathing i think...and its a tad windy. The beach in Sosua on the other hand...beside being a bit dirty at places is really nice.

Sosua feels more like an expat place because it is bigger and has more dominican people. There is more of everything in Sosua and it is cheaper....however I did see expats in Cabarete as well...

Cabarete does have a cute dominican village and also there is Sabanete not far away...

All in all...both places are good. Cabarete is a bit more laid back and you run the risk of occasionally being heavily overpriced. Sosua can be a bit rough I guess but it feels more genuine. If you live in Cabarete and have your own car that could be perfect...

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cabarate or Sosua?

Hi:

If you are considering living in the DR check out the Samana Peninsula and specifically Las Terrenas. The beaches are much nicer than Sosua-Cabarate and a lot less crowded. This area has a large European population with Spanish, French, Italian and English widely spoken. The beach literally winds for miles from one side of Las Terrenas to the other. If you would like any photos of the area send me a private message and I will be happy to furnish these to you.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.