Reliable internet spot needed to rent--urgent!

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
My son-in-law in Santo Domingo has an excellent interpreter job over the internet, but he could lose it at any moment because of the unreliable internet connection in his area. Does anyone have a location with excellent internet service where he could rent a room, office, cubicle, whatever? He would consider anywhere in the D.R. Thank you!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What part of Santo Domingo is he in now?

If an internet connection is absolutely critical to his employment, then he should build in some redundancy. A cell phone that can be tethered, back up service provider etc.

Nobody can guarantee 100% reliable service in the DR, not even if you have a desk in the Codetel main office. But you can minimize the downtime by spreading the risk.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
To the best of my recollection Robert was advertising such a spot with computer not long ago, why don't you contact him?

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
He is in the east side of town. He wanted to get a back-up provider, but no other provider is available where he is.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
He is in the east side of town. He wanted to get a back-up provider, but no other provider is available where he is.

Then he will need to move and that will come with it's own extra costs.
As I said, he should also look at tethering options via Codetel or Orange.

Feb 7, 2007
All 3 cell providers offer broadband wireless connections with wifi router (Orange, Claro, Viva). Orange and Claro use HSDPA system, Viva uses EVDO system.

Feb 7, 2007
P.S. Nowadays in 2011 having backup internet even in interior of the country like Higuey is not a problem. Much less in Santo Domingo.

Options to consider:
Claro DSL
Tricom DSL
Tricom Cable Internet
Wind WiMax
Onemax WiMax
Orange BB tether
Orange net USB modem
Orange net flybox wifi
Claro Internet Movil USB (banda ancha)
Claro BB tether
Claro Internet Movil wifi router
VIVA EVDO USB modem
VIVA EVDO wifi router
Aster Cable Internet

There really are quite some options....

Lorena730

Sep 10, 2011
Hi,

I know this is an older post but I'm researching what the best high speed connection being offered in Santo Domingo is currently. Also when you say back up internet what do you mean? i also work via phone and internet on my Vonage System and need super reliable service. Please advise. i've been searching here and would like details if possible.