White water rafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyblaze

Mar 27, 2011
Me and my friends might want to go white water rafting. i heard its like a 2 hour trip up the mountain. Has anybody ever done it and whats your experience

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Me and my friends might want to go white water rafting. i heard its like a 2 hour trip up the mountain. Has anybody ever done it and whats your experience

RANCHO BAIGUATE - The Adventure Center in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic - River Rafting, Canyoning, Pico Duarte Tour, Horesback Riding with summer camp and lodging.
The roads are good to Jarabacoa. There are several companies that provide the rafting experience but the most professional is the above link.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
It depends on where you are coming from and what mode of transportation. I did a trip there from Cabarete. A tour bus picked us up and then stopped at every All-Inclusive around Puerto Plata. On the way back we stopped at a tourist trap to buy rum and cigars. It was about 4 hours each way. At the first AI, on the way back, we got off at the first AI and took a taxi back to Cabarete.

The rafting itself was about 2 hours. It was fun, but no way is it worth 8 hours on a bus (IMHO). If you are closer or can rent a car, it would be a nice trip. The mountains are beautiful but know that driving is a challenge due to blind spots and people not following traffic rules.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
Well, it would be a little shorter from Sosua (maybe twenty minutes up the road from Cabarete). If you take a regular bus to Jarabacoa that's a different story (if there is one). But a tour bus specifically for the trip goes very slowly into long drives full of multiple speed bumps to reach the AI Pick-ups and some of those are out of the way - driving up the coast a bit and back. So yeah, I'm sure. It was a miserable trip and we were ticked enough to spend $70 on a taxi at the first opportunity off the bus on the way back. Left at 6:00 am. Returned around 6:00 pm for 2 hours on the water (other time is for lunch, getting fitted for gear etc.)

By car, probably more like 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.