is Sosua really that bad of a place to visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
I been lurking on this forum for the past 3 months because I'm scheduled to be in Sosua for summer vacation. Lately I been seeing a lot more negative things and opinions on Sosua and the general north coast area. Just wondering if I made a mistake or just listening to the wrong people.

Regards

Globe-trotter

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I been lurking on this forum for the past 3 months because I'm scheduled to be in Sosua for summer vacation. Lately I been seeing a lot more negative things and opinions on Sosua and the general north coast area. Just wondering if I made a mistake or just listening to the wrong people.

Regards

Globe-trotter

Depends on what you are looking for. The negatives are not people who live here, they generally like the changes the new mayor is making and are pleased the town is being cleaned up. Like CoreyH, I live in Sosua, and have been for 10 years. I like Sosua much better now than I did a year ago.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you will find a wide variety of opinions - where have you holidayed in the past and we can try to tell you if you should worry lol

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua

Sosua is a small pretty town with winding streets and an excellent beach with trees that you can sit under when you are tired of being broiled by the sun. Sosua is much safer than many other areas of the Dominican Republic and is an excellent jumping off point to see other parts of the country. Use a little common sense and you will be fine. Sosua also has its own excellent international airport just ten minutes out of town. You will enjoy your summer. Pay no attention to the naysayers on this forum. Sadly there are a number of lurkers just waiting for you to miss spell a word so they can jump in and correct you. The forum is an excellent source of knowledge about the DR and they are also many wonderful members who are here to help.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
think of your favourite place on earth then go to a forum on the place and you will always find someone that doesnt like it lol

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
you will find a wide variety of opinions - where have you holidayed in the past and we can try to tell you if you should worry lol

I been to Cancun, Rio de Janeiro, London, Miami. I'm a 30 year old male traveling solo. I been learning some spanish an I know a few words and questions. Most of my activities will be relaxing on the beach looking at some pretty ladies, eating, going to the bars and clubs on some nights. Are the locals friendly?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you will love Sosua

very! "Hello my fren" is a phrase you will hear often when they want to sell you something. Just say in Spanish, I am not a tourist and they will leave you alone. Except in the cases where you do not want to be left alone and with a little luck there will be many of those cases. Good luck

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Most of my activities will be relaxing on the beach looking at some pretty ladies, eating, going to the bars and clubs on some nights. Are the locals friendly?
Then Sosua is your right choice. (The locals are friendly)

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I been to Cancun, Rio de Janeiro, London, Miami. I'm a 30 year old male traveling solo. I been learning some spanish an I know a few words and questions. Most of my activities will be relaxing on the beach looking at some pretty ladies, eating, going to the bars and clubs on some nights. Are the locals friendly?

Sosua is nothing like any of the cities you have mentioned, Sosua is the definition of a nothing, little beach town.

You might be disappointed if you are expecting anything similar to the Cancun, Rio, London or Miami....there really is not that much to Sosua.

Sosua is very good for "relaxing on the beach looking at some pretty ladies, eating, going to the bars and clubs on some nights" and yes, some of the locals are very friendly...for a price.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
Sosua is nothing like any of the cities you have mentioned, Sosua is the definition of a nothing, little beach town.

You might be disappointed if you are expecting anything similar to the Cancun, Rio, London or Miami....there really is not that much to Sosua.

Sosua is very good for "relaxing on the beach looking at some pretty ladies, eating, going to the bars and clubs on some nights" and yes, some of the locals are very friendly...for a price.

I'm not expecting much and won't be disappointed. I actually wanted to be in a slower paced city for my vacation compared to the cities I been to.

I love taking pictures. Where are good areas to take pictures?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I love taking pictures. Where are good areas to take pictures?

What subjects do you like to photograph? There is always something of interest to shoot at the beach and there are plenty of opportunities for street scenes.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
What subjects do you like to photograph? There is always something of interest to shoot at the beach and there are plenty of opportunities for street scenes.

I been doing amateur photography for years, so my subjects tend to be a variety of things like the beach, pretty ladies at the beach with their permission, blue ocean, sunrise, sunset, unique shaped/designed buildings, funny signs, iconic landmarks.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

YOU are Sosua's target demographic!!! You should have a great time...

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Excellent point!!!
Take a lot of care of belongings camera etc. If you can get secure box in hotel do so.
It's good but go out with minimum of money and stay at bars with gringos.
Keep passport etc. in safety box and go out with photocopy.
If you take photos check ages.
I'm sure you take all these precautions anyway!
Yanandu

Aug 19, 2004
For many years I disliked Sousa but after a recent trip I must say it is quite a nice, relaxed beach town and preferable these days to the noise, tarffic and chaos of Las Terranas.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think you will find that rio de janeiro and cancun were more frightening and london lol depending on the area that you visited

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
i think you will find that rio de janeiro and cancun were more frightening and london lol depending on the area that you visited

London wasn't that scary. lol. I wasn't worried about crime in Sosua, I was more worried about if i was going to have fun there. I been looking on the forum and other websites and folks made it seem like either the city is in bad shape, folks don't like tourist/gringos, there's nothing to do, and other negative things. But i'm just worrying too much, I will have fun. :D

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I liked Sosua before the 'tidy-up' and I like it just as much now.
Try not to take much notice of the naysayers, they seem to be lost souls with a grudge against Sosua and generally don't live around here.
You will have a good time if you pack and bring your normal common sense and don't flaunt your valuables after dark.
Like in any town at night, stay in the lighted parts and during the day, visit the beach for photos, get a ride to Cabarete and Encuentro to look around.
Check out Puerto Plata for some good pictures from the top of the mountain and ,if you like that sort of thing, a 'Bush safari' with a 4x4 truck.Great scenery!
La Boca is worth a visit at the weekend for the beach outing.
I can't comment on the local girls. There are many experts on that on DR1 it seems.
Have fun and don't be put off by the 'Sosua Grinches' on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.